Chops vs Portofinos

If you had to choose one, which would you choose? Or would you pay and go to both? When we were on the Zuiderdam we went to their pay restaurant 3 times because it was sooo good.

Any recommendations? I believe both of these restaurants are on the Serenade.

We just sailed on Jewel, 3/25-4/2. The first thing upon boarding the ship was to go to Chops & Portofino to make reservations. We booked one of the restaurants for the night that the main dining room was serving the Caribbean menu :-( The other restaurant we booked for the evening that we would be in San Juan until 8PM. We were so impressed with Portofino, that we made a reservation to go back on the last night of the cruise.

Don't get me wrong...we loved Chops. But if you live in a major city that has all of the big chain steakhouses, that is what you will find in Chops. We loved Portofino because of the homeade pasta, and they have a filet mignon that as our server described it..."it will change your life!" But they also have several seafood options.

Both are very, very good. We are fortunate to live in an area that has many excellent restaurants and we enjoyed Chops and Portofinos very much. Chops, obviously is more steak and we enjoyed shrimp and lobster in Portofino, both were excellent. The difference between the main dining room and these 2 restaurants is unbelievable! The dining room obviously has the task of serving thousands of meals a night compared to a few tables in the specialty restaurants. You should enjoy both if you can.

Do both.

Chops is a great steak house as good as any in a big city.

Protofino is an execelent resturant and has a more fine dining feel to it.

We are just back form the Radiance and we did both and they were worth evey penny and then some.

I'll gladly eat at either but if I'm forced to choose only one we'd be going to Protifino's. Both my wife and I can be particular about our steaks and it's hard for a restaurant to get them seasoned just the way we want them. Chops also chars the meat and neither of us like that burnt flavor. If you ask them, they'll keep the meat from becoming charred on the outside so it's not a problem so long as you know to ask if that's what you like.

Every time we've eaten at Portifino's (all of twice now), they've had a filet mignon either on the menu or as a special that night. I believe Portifino's broils their steaks and I prefer the way they season them. I also like the variety of dishes Portifino's serves vs the steak house menu of Chops.

Both are excellent restaurants and if a ship has both of them, I'll most likely be making reservations for each one. Of course, I leave that decision up to my wife. ;)

Archived