Bay of Biscay

Gumshoe

Hi, thinking of going on Med Cruise in 2007 this particular cruise is from Southampton for 14 nights and then returns back to Southampton. This means it will travel through the Bay of Biscay twice. I have been told it can be quite rough. Has anyone had experience of this particular area and what it is like.

regards Gumshoe

There are times when the Bay can be quite rough, it's reputation is earned.

Although one can never know for sure what the Bay will be like for any particular voyage.

I have sailed through the Bay of Biscaye a few times, and it has been both, very rough one way and very smooth coming back.

Cruising through the Bay takes only a day, so even if it's rough, you'll know it will be over tomorrow.

Hiya Gumshoe.

Yes indeed the Bay of Biscay can have some pretty inclement weather.

It would however depend on when you are travelling and on which vessel.

The winters are a bit choppy at the best of times but this subsides greatly during the summer months (when most cruiselines sail the region).

You are leaving Southampton but haven't mentioned if you are visiting a port 'within' the Bay area (eg Bilbao?). If not then you would tend to scoot a little around the edge en-route the Med and on your ship this should pose no problem.

There is a big plus. This is one of the few seas where there are a multitude of whales and dolphins, so, you may get lucky.

I sailed Portsmouth/ Bilbao in February on the P&O ferry Pride of Bilbao. Fine going out.... Force 9 on return - a bit choppy!

Have a good one,

Kernel

Hi There,

For Floflegs,

I assume you are talking about ther SS UGANDA, I was onboard many years ago , when she was caught out in the bay, the ship was a real mess, most kids were sea sick. Would this be back in the 70,s

yours Shogun

Hi There,

For Floflegs,

I assume you are talking about ther SS UGANDA, I was onboard many years ago , when she was caught out in the bay, the ship was a real mess, most kids were sea sick. Would this be back in the 70,s

yours Shogun

No, it wasn't the SS Uganda but her sister ship, the SS Devonia. It was in 1963 - a lifetime ago!!

Archived