infant on cruise

magdanie

Babies in swim diapers=fecal tea bags...

I vote you take the kid, leave the swim diapers...

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Another Lisa here. I like your choice of color for the text - what a lovely shade of brown!:D

I agree with the idea, too - yes to the kid on the cruise, but no to the swim diapers in the ship's pool.

Lisa

Holy cattyness! Maybe they should ban the "adults" that act like children too...goodness forbid they would ruin MY cruise. Oh wait, it's vacation and NO ONE will be able to ruin my time; not even if I get put in a cabin next to another with a crying baby *gasp*. Afterall, I won't have to be the one tending to it and I'm sure some white noise would easily solve that problem.

Is it really so difficult to answer to the OP? If you don't want/wouldn't bring your infant, your suggestions didn't even apply here.

To the OP, I suggest posting at the family cruising board. It is much more civilized on that board :)

Hey Hopeful:

I just wanted to make the point that in an environment like that of a cruise ship we all need to go out of our way to be more considerate of others. When you're out at sea you just don't have much of an option. Besides that, however, it's just plain common sense and courtesy.

Yes, I fully subscribe to the tenet that unruly/inappropriate adults ought to be persona non grata---after all, paying a fare doesn't give them the "all's fair" right to do whatever they want. But, the exact same criteria applies to children...be they infants, toddlers, tweenies, or, dare I say, 'young adults'. For sure, inappropriate behavior by anyone can ruin a cruise for a whole lot of people.

The focus of this thread is, however, on infants. By and large they are needy and, to myself and I believe many, many others, are out of their element in the environment of a cruise vessel. That situation can, and often does, create inconvenience and disruption for others. You, for example, may not mind if the baby in the stateroom next to yours cries all night. God love you. However, I do. So do a lot of other people. When I am in the environment of a nice restaurant, I shouldn't have my meal interrupted by any child acting up. Yes, it is the parent's responsibility to deal with that; unfortunately, many do not. They feel that it is up to everybody else to just "deal with it".

And the overly simplistic 'solution' for me and others who feel likewise to only frequent 'adults only' cruises, just makes no sense. What does make sense is that what ought to matter most is what's appropriate and acceptable for the majority. Face facts. Way too many people think that paying a cruise fare gives them carte blanche to do whatever they feel is best for them.

Want to vacation with the brood? I say go for it. I highly support that. Indeed, we need a lot more of that.

Want to take on the high seas? O.K., go for that too. But regardless of the selection, let's all remember that we ALL need to be cognizant of the fact that we need to be considerate of others besides ourselves. If we can do that then maybe we can all get along better with each other and this world will be a better place.

I wish you and your family many happy days at sea !

Hey Hopeful:

let's all remember that we ALL need to be cognizant of the fact that we need to be considerate of others besides ourselves. If we can do that then maybe we can all get along better with each other and this world will be a better place.

I wish you and your family many happy days at sea !

Good post, and I agree with most of what you said. I would also add that we all need to be TOLERANT of others besides ourselves; whether the other passengers are 7 months or 70 years, they are entitled to a good cruise. I'm not saying that children should be allowed to impose on others' privacy and/or relaxation. I'm just saying that a bit of tolerance goes a long way. If we don't allow the little things to upset us, they won't.

As for the adults only cruises, I don't think that's crazy. If being around children who are sometimes disruptive is going to ruin someone's vacation, it makes perfect sense for that person to choose a venue that does not include those disruptions. Carnival pursues families, so infants are going to be there.

Hi Lisa,

Another Lisa here. I like your choice of color for the text - what a lovely shade of brown!:D

I agree with the idea, too - yes to the kid on the cruise, but no to the swim diapers in the ship's pool.

Lisa

Lisa,

Sometimes a "visual" is worth a thousand words...:D

Happy cruisin'

Lisa(too)

We took our two sons on the Pride last summer. They were 6 months and 20 months. It was difficult, but not impossible. It certainly was not a vacation but rather a trip, though that's how it is with young kids. We had a balcony room which was big, but with two cribs, it was quickly made small. The balcony was a must, though, because it allowed us space to breathe. I recommend bringing a small inflatable pool to put in the shower in order to bathe your child. That helped us greatly. As long as you are flexible, you will be fine! Enjoy!

Are children under 2 charged at a different rate? My mom and dad (dad has cancer) would like to take his children and grandchildren to Alaska next year. (hopefully). It is possible that 1 great grandchild will only be 7 or 8 months old and the other one will be 22 months old. I know it will be a major undertaking, but this is something HE wants, so my daughter and I are willing to give it a try. My mom is still in good enough health to help also.

I am trying to see how much money it will take and any advice to make things go smoother will be greatly appreciated. I have not decided on a cruise line yet. I only know the destination will be Alaska.

Are children under 2 charged at a different rate? My mom and dad (dad has cancer) would like to take his children and grandchildren to Alaska next year. (hopefully). It is possible that 1 great grandchild will only be 7 or 8 months old and the other one will be 22 months old. I know it will be a major undertaking, but this is something HE wants, so my daughter and I are willing to give it a try. My mom is still in good enough health to help also.

I am trying to see how much money it will take and any advice to make things go smoother will be greatly appreciated. I have not decided on a cruise line yet. I only know the destination will be Alaska.

On Carnival, children are charged the same rate as any passenger. It doesn't matter if they are 4 months, 4 years, or 40 years.

Check out the family board for more information on traveling with children. There is a lot of good advice and you can get feedback from traveling on different cruiselines. Good luck!

Check w/ your pediatrician to find out how to help if your baby becomes seasick. We just cruised with our 15 month old who is normally a very happy baby. But in the cabin she seemed to get seasick and vomited once when the ship was really rocking. The only thing I knew was safe for her was gingerale as ginger is supposed to help.

Probably half these people have the kid in the first place because they couldn't figure out how to operate a condom.

That statement was completely uncalled for! :mad: You really think you are better because of your smart remarks? My 4 year old has better manners. GROW UP!!!!!

You know your infant, we don't. Understand that the walls are thin, and if your infant is crying it WILL affect others. That being said, I flew from LA to Sydney (no short flight by any means) and did not even know an infant was onboard until we arrived. Now that was one good baby.

I say take the child. In my opinion parents have children they know that they are their responsibility for the next 18 years so why leave them at home. That is why some children don't know how to act in public because some parents want to "shield" them why don't they just come out and say we don't want you. If my child couldn't handle cruising then I wouldn't cruise either. I feel it is our responsibility to raise our children our parents have done their jobs as parents now it is time for them to be grandparents not sit at home for a week or so while we are boozing it up and having a good Ole time while they have the kids. That only means the next cruise they may have an additional child to watch:eek:

I love kids but I have ran 3 daycares over a 15 year period and I see all the time children being left so that the parent doesn't have to take them to the store, the movies, or anywhere else in public. When are they going to learn?

Now to the original posters question. An umbrella stroller instead of the big bulky one, comfy toy or blanket, small toys to play with while in the room or to tie to stroller to entertain the little one, blow up pool for wet time and bath time. And thank you to all of the parents that believe in taking their children in public and teaching them right from wrong instead of waiting until they are teenagers and expecting them to know.

We cruised on Victory with our 6 month old and it was great! The staff was fantastic and we really had nothing to worry about! The wait staff had a high chair at our table every night and the matre'd (sp) came over every night to see if there was anything special for him...the mashed potatoes were a life saver. The cabin had plenty of room and our steward was exceptional. We paid full price and they treated our son like a champ...even did the towel animals for him at night! The babysitting at night was awesome...of course, he was asleep usually so it was an easy $6.00 an hour for them. It was well worth the money. We loved it when we went to the show one night with him and everyone had the "Oh My God...a screaming baby" look on their face but he was awesome..fell asleep about half-way through the show so no big issue there. We did get kicked out of the pool. We needed the customary pool picture. We had to laugh because of all the "older" kids in the hot tubs and their jokes about doing #1 in the hot tub...I think the policy is a little backwards regarding infants in swimmers but what are you going to do. We had no issues on Caribbean Princess in June of last year with him in the pool...they even offered to take pictures for us!

Don't pay any attention to the "grumpmeisters" on the ship if your baby throws a fit...it is your vacation as well and if people don't understand then it's going to be a long hard life for them. Most people understand and the staff works their rear ends off to keep your baby happy. It's as if they heard our baby crying and they all came running towards him. Many had kids back home that they were away from...needed their baby "fix". I know it can be stressful but just remember that the grumpmeisters are never going to see you again and it really isn't that big of a deal.

Is there more stuff to drag around...yes but you already know what the essentials are...bottle, water, diapers, wipes, extra outfit just in case, jars of food...so you learn very quickly what you'll need. We went deep sea fishing in Cozumel for a half-day and did O.K. with the bare essentials. Hope this helps. Have a GREAT time! Sorry this is soo long.:(

We loved it when we went to the show one night with him and everyone had the "Oh My God...a screaming baby" look on their face but he was awesome..fell asleep about half-way through the show so no big issue there.

Was he screaming through the first half of the show and how did others react to this?

We did get kicked out of the pool. We needed the customary pool picture. We had to laugh because of all the "older" kids in the hot tubs and their jokes about doing #1 in the hot tub...I think the policy is a little backwards regarding infants in swimmers but what are you going to do.

It's not the 'pee' that's a problem. It's the 'poop'. 'Pee' is sterile, 'Poop' is not. The 'poop' that you have no problem with could very well make your child very sick, or vice versa, not to mention everyone that comes in contact with it. Something to think about here... Do you really want to put your child in a pool area knowing that there could be dire circumstances?

Don't pay any attention to the "grumpmeisters" on the ship if your baby throws a fit...it is your vacation as well and if people don't understand then it's going to be a long hard life for them.

It has nothing to do with being 'grumpy'. It has everything to do with being safe and showing consideration to others around you.

Most people understand and the staff works their rear ends off to keep your baby happy.

in order to keep everyone else that is subjected to your baby happy. A quiet baby is fine, but one having a fit while I am (and MANY more) are dining (or whatever other activity we engage in) is not welcome..

Just on a side note, I don't think an infant is going to learn anything from being removed from a situation. They only know the loving arms around them. Takes some growing to get the social situation.l

In a perfect world, every baby would act well and be quiet at dinner, etc. Please keep in mind that just as those passengers without kids expect tolerance, consideration and respect from those with infants, so do the passengers with infants expect the same from you...it works both ways.

By the way, our son was not screaming when we went to the show. That was just the reaction of people when we walked in with a perfectly happy baby...we actually were quite content to stand in the back to be considerate of others, just in case we needed to leave.

Let's face it, Carnival does cater to families. Maybe those people that would like to go on a cruise without kids should consider another cruise line...like Holland America.

Happy Cruising.

Was he screaming through the first half of the show and how did others react to this?

It's not the 'pee' that's a problem. It's the 'poop'. 'Pee' is sterile, 'Poop' is not. The 'poop' that you have no problem with could very well make your child very sick, or vice versa, not to mention everyone that comes in contact with it. Something to think about here... Do you really want to put your child in a pool area knowing that there could be dire circumstances?

It has nothing to do with being 'grumpy'. It has everything to do with being safe and showing consideration to others around you.

in order to keep everyone else that is subjected to your baby happy. A quiet baby is fine, but one having a fit while I am (and MANY more) are dining (or whatever other activity we engage in) is not welcome..

Just on a side note, I don't think an infant is going to learn anything from being removed from a situation. They only know the loving arms around them. Takes some growing to get the social situation.l

...but what's right is right. Ala-Kat is completely correct. You, and anyone else has no right to expect that everybody else has to "just deal with" an infant. 'Kat is also correct in assuming that the staff went out of their way mostly to ensure that the little one didn't adversely affect the other passengers.

Glad to hear that you have a wonderful baby. Glad to see that you believe in starting early in exposing him to the world around him. Super that you are involved in family doings.

Unfortunately, I think that you and your family don't represent the rule, rather you're the exception. most people harbor the belief that it's MY vacation, and that I think the way things ought to be is the rule. If anybody else doesn't like it then too bad!

And please don't come across with the suggestion that we ought to go to another cruise line. You miss the point. In the special situation that is that of life on a ship we, ALL of us, owe a much greater level of consideration and tolerance for each other in order to enhance the experience. Yes, we can all try for the ultimate in understanding and tolerance, but once you've left port and are at sea it's a little late for any alternatives.

Infants are needy. Responsible parents need to give that fact much careful consideration before they elect to participate in any kind of vacation where their child could adversely affect others. If there's little to no worry, then by all means go ahead. But if that isn't the case then you owe due diligence to the comfort and consideration of others.

Why not try a Disney cruise for the kids? There are plenty of cruises for adults only, but there are also cruises geared towards small children. I am sure there will be plenty of people with infants there. A majority of time spent in this thread revolves around infants swimming in the pool, paying for a cruise is an awful expensive way to go swimming. One can buy a lot of blow up pools for the price of a cruise! Save your money and take your children on cruises when they can appreciate them. We have sailed 4 times with our two boys, and the first trip was when they were 14 and 16, and they loved it. They will have the rest of their lives to cruise.

And please don't come across with the suggestion that we ought to go to another cruise line. You miss the point. In the special situation that is that of life on a ship we, ALL of us, owe a much greater level of consideration and tolerance for each other in order to enhance the experience. Yes, we can all try for the ultimate in understanding and tolerance, but once you've left port and are at sea it's a little late for any alternatives.

Infants are needy. Responsible parents need to give that fact much careful consideration before they elect to participate in any kind of vacation where their child could adversely affect others. If there's little to no worry, then by all means go ahead. But if that isn't the case then you owe due diligence to the comfort and consideration of others.

wow. how nicely put! :)

Let's face it, Carnival does cater to families.

Actually, they don't. They cater to adults who spend money drinking and gambling. They advertise with "family" photos and provide free child care because the market dictates that they need to. They could choose to go after the older crowd, but the parent corp has HAL and the premium lines for that. They could choose to go after the child-free-30-something crowd, but we're a tiny segment. Even then, AFAIK they do not provide infant care or services, right?

Probably half these people have the kid in the first place because they couldn't figure out how to operate a condom.

Well said.... VERY well said. Methinks your comment hit a little too close to home for some people..... :)

And this comment is totally uncalled for. Poor form.

What a classless comment. Even if they should not have had children its not your business to make such a rude remark. You must be one of the people you are referring to.

That statement was completely uncalled for! :mad: You really think you are better because of your smart remarks? My 4 year old has better manners. GROW UP!!!!!

Ok, on a more serious note: I'm a firm believer a child under the age of 1 year old does not belong on a cruise. The main reason is because of the huge amounts of extra packing that needs to be done, as well as all the extra items that need to be brought along (i.e. stroller, car seat). A cruise ship has very limited space. It's a hardship on more than a few people. For example, if your child cries loudly in the middle of the night, you're affecting many people.

My suggestion is if you really NEED to bring your baby with, stow the stroller and bring a "backpack" designed for babies. Also get a cabin that's on one end of the ship or the other, preferrably a balcony that only has 1 room on either side of it and not an interior cabin, this way you'reaffecting as few people as possible if your child decides to stay up all night testing out their lung power. And only take your baby along if BOTH parents are willing to take care of them. Invariably, one of the parents is off playing, leaving the other to care for the child.

One final thing: To the OP, consider Disney. Not because I like Carnival and don't want you on board with me, but because they're more able to deal with children of all ages.

That statement was completely uncalled for! :mad: You really think you are better because of your smart remarks?

My 4 year old has better manners. GROW UP!!!!!

Why? It's true. Seems like a lot of the folks here decide to cruise and lose ALL common sense not to mention most if not all parental ability...I'll reserve any comments about yours though.

He/she does? Must have learned them from mom. :rolleyes:

most people harbor the belief that it's MY vacation, and that I think the way things ought to be is the rule. If anybody else doesn't like it then too bad!

And please don't come across with the suggestion that we ought to go to another cruise line. You miss the point. In the special situation that is that of life on a ship we, ALL of us, owe a much greater level of consideration and tolerance for each other in order to enhance the experience.

I agree with this comment for BOTH sides of the arguement. Noone is more important on the ship! And everyone should respect everyone - no matter how big or small.

Kids are allowed to cruise and they are going to be there. Whether someone agrees with it or not does not matter. It's up to Carnival to decide their age limit and they did.

Kids are allowed to cruise and they are going to be there. Whether someone agrees with it or not does not matter. It's up to Carnival to decide their age limit and they did.

True, but this has nothing to do with rules. The age rule (4 months?) is to protect Carnival since they don't have a NICU to care for a premie or sick infant, and some small number of parents would undoubtedly bring them on. (Probably a sub-group of ones that would willing mix feces into the pool for their own child's entertainment even after being shown multiple sources about the risk.)

This is about social mores and routine consideration. Carnival routinely fails to enforce it's own written rules. The idea that they'd appropriately deal with a bad parent allowing their child to disturb 50 other cruisers is... well, let's just say I'm skeptical.

FWIW, it is nice that the staff with devote so much energy into entertaining an infant at dinner... but I'd like to get my dessert at some point too! :D

This is about social mores and routine consideration. Carnival routinely fails to enforce it's own written rules. The idea that they'd appropriately deal with a bad parent allowing their child to disturb 50 other cruisers is... well, let's just say I'm skeptical.

Unfortunately, there are inconsiderate people whether you travel by land, air, or sea. I went to Disney last year and the "parents" were out with their obnoxious children in record numbers! Maybe they are just attracted to me though since they seem to be where I am...:p

There are some places you go that you have to expect children. Good ones and bad. I knew last year there would be one or two at Disney. And I know over Christmas break on the cruise there might be a few more. I can't expect them not to come so I need to either be prepared to deal with the "on vacation" parents or not go.

And from what I heard Carnival is not big on enforcing their rules whether it's jeans in the DR or babies dripping their nasty stuff in the pool. ICK! :eek:

There are some places you go that you have to expect children. Good ones and bad. I knew last year there would be one or two at Disney. And I know over Christmas break on the cruise there might be a few more. I can't expect them not to come so I need to either be prepared to deal with the "on vacation" parents or not go.

Fair point. By the same token, OPs posting questions on an internet discussion board should also expect to get the whole ball of wax, not just what they'd like to hear. :D

And from what I heard Carnival is not big on enforcing their rules whether it's jeans in the DR or babies dripping their nasty stuff in the pool. ICK! :eek:

Jeans in the dining room, no matter how distasteful, are not a health risk to others. Babies 'dripping their nasty stuff in the pool' is a health risk to anyone who goes in that pool, including the baby. This is one rule that Carnival - and all other lines - should really pay attention to.

Archived