Best Way to book Cruise

SummerW

Hi-

I've been a lurker for a while and now finally in need of some advice...

I read in a previous thread that many prefer booking through a travel agent vs booking directly, and I definitely see the advantages to booking with a travel agency for a cruise. However, I'm wondering beyond that when the best time to book is to get the best deals and whether there is much variation in pricing from one agency to another. Can one find better deals working with the online agencies?

I'm kind of type A about efficiency, so I like to make sure whatever option I choose is the most efficient use of my money and time. ;)

We're looking at booking a honeymoon cruise on SeaDream following a week stay at the Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda, where we'll be getting married.

Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated!

Hi-

I've been a lurker for a while and now finally in need of some advice...

I read in a previous thread that many prefer booking through a travel agent vs booking directly, and I definitely see the advantages to booking with a travel agency for a cruise. However, I'm wondering beyond that when the best time to book is to get the best deals and whether there is much variation in pricing from one agency to another. Can one find better deals working with the online agencies?

I'm kind of type A about efficiency, so I like to make sure whatever option I choose is the most efficient use of my money and time. ;)

We're looking at booking a honeymoon cruise on SeaDream following a week stay at the Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda, where we'll be getting married.

Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated!

Book with an agent that can offer a shipboard credit - Virtuoso agents usually can, sometimes AAA agents. Book as soon as you can. SeaDream pricing is capacity controlled, which means that the more full a sailing is, the more expensive the current price is. I have seen prices go up from $2199 for a stateroom to $4,299 for the same stateroom several months later.

I don't think you are going to find much variance in price from agency to agency - unless you have an agent that is giving back some commission. I haven't seen that on line agents can offer anything better on SeaDream - so I w1ould go for that can offer a Shipboard credit - which is usually NOT an online company.

What a great honeymoon - a SeaDream cruise and the Bitter End Yacht Club - great combo.

Thanks for the information!

The wife of a boss I worked for for 5+ years is a cruse travel agent. I plan to book through her, as she'll probably give more personal attention than someone I don't know would. Plus, it's always nice to do business with people you know and want to support. I just wanted to make sure by doing this I wasn't going to be passing up big savings somewhere else.

We're still not certain about the cruise portion... We have a bunch of Starwood credit we could use towards a land stay somewhere, though meals would likely bring the cost up close to what a mainstream cruise would cost! ...and if we're considering going with a mainstream cruise, why not go for something better? It's funny how logic works sometimes! :)

Archived