Dress from ebay - need opinions - honest ones.

Gingee

OK- it is hard to give an opinion without seeing a dress ON YOU.

I still like the too big dress (wedding wise), it you alter the top....

Think about this- it is VERY hard to see how pale pink the dress really is on computer monitors....it might be pink enough

BUT if her colors are pink??? why the HELL are you going to match???

I wuld think you just shouldn't garishly clash...but there is no reason for your special position to be blended in to the rest of the bridal party...if you know what I mean....

The blue is a great color- just can't say for sure how the gowns style will look/fit on you- which would give a decision whether if it is ok for both occasions- certainly is ok for the cruise....

You didn't say what kind of wedding...in a church...outdoors...strictly formal all the way???

The third one does not thrill me- kind of blah in terms of style & color.

You deserve better. :)

You have plenty of time to find a dress....

It's funny you should say the colors are pink and black.

I had a black formal skirt & I bought this pink top with black ribbon to wear for cruise formal night (on sale/w a coupon and then additional employee discount)- in case I didn't find anything better...

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/gifts/OnlineShopping/LT?DSP=4&PCR=21:200000:201218:201323&IID=2002592&c=1

My daughter once downsized a gown from a 12 down to a 0 (ZERO), so theres often a lot to be done with a dress. Too bad you are so far away, I would put her to work for you!

Heck you can even look for a new top to go with the bottom even a different color...39$ just for the skirt is still a good deal even if you decide

not to rework the top. Heck if you find a new top- you can sell the old one on ebay...

Is there a larger shopping area not too far away from where you live??? Or would you have to travel to shop?

Seems part of your problem is limited access to a lot of stores....

Ya know what? Do you take your digital camera when you go shopping?

It is a great way to compare how styles look on you...

I did that when my daughter was shopping one year....it was fun and let her see exactly how the gowns looked on her...

Or if you see a great gown that is too small or too big on you...get the brand from the inside and then you can search online for it- if they cannot get it for you in your size...

Bernadette

Go on another shopping trip and avoid Davids Bridal. Or any other bridal shop. There are more choices at department stores and probably at less of a cost.

I mentioned before, my sis and I went shopping for her MOB dress last weekend, we walked into Davids Bridal and walked out after 10 minutes after looking at their selections and prices. It's fine for wedding gowns and bridesmaid dresses, but the MOB selection was miserable.

Just looking at my favorite shopping website, I found 3 dresses I would have you try on:

96725_1.jpg

or:96816.jpg

I even liked this one, but the color may be a bit dark for you:

19012.jpg

If you follow the theme, the dresses are shorter, so as not to overwhelm a small frame, two of them have jackets, something you may have to consider if the wedding is in a church. The first choice could have an added shawl or sweater for a church wedding. All of them are a bit sexy, none of look too middle aged to me. You do not have to match the bridesmaids, you only have to choose a color that does not clash.

From Ann Taylor petites in their celebration category. Keep in mind, your dress does not have to be long!

http://www.anntaylor.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&RestartFlow=t&Section_Id=6855&LN

www.bloomingdales.com had some wonderful dresses. here's one a little mor modest that I would have you try on:

23308_fpx.tif?wid=138&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bilin&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

It it a top and skirt and comes in a color called blush, as well as this rose color. Check out their site, as well as others you find.

Gingee,

I like the periwinkle empire dress. Much more youthful, and the line in the front will lengthen you, since you are on the petite side.

The one thing to be careful about with that empire style....if you are busty, they can make you look fat or preggers. They really need to fit properly, and can be VERY flattering as long as they fit close to your skin under the bustline.

I bet that color would look wonderful on you too.

NOT crazy about the royal blue one though.

Tracy

You asked. First of all size two? ACK!!

Second the first dress overwhelms you. The second might work but it looks pretty Bridal to me. Is there a reason you are selecting a white dress? Normally that color is reserved for the bride but I have seen lovely all white weddings.

With your fair coloring you should consider cream. That would be so beautiful on you.

Looking at dresses for you/with you.

I think Kathy can be your personal shopper.

I love #1 and the 4th one she just posted.

You've got a fabulous figure & being petite is your biggest concern when you choose dresses...

not size...

When I think Mother-of the Bride dress- I immediately picture a dowager matronly type of lady....which others are also right when they say David's has mostly.

BTW- I thought that Bloomies outfit was going to be VERY expensive- but it isn't.

I just think you have to stick to actually trying dresses on.

Are there malls by you?? Where do girls go to get their prom dresses?

prom.com

macys.com

http://www.cinderellasgowns.com/

bernadette

Ok, wow those are some great choices. Gingee, the second one on the post that Happy KS posted at 8:39 today is similar to the one I emailed you, only mine was blue. I got tons of compliments. Actually, though, any of those choices above would be great. Have you tried Dress Barn? I like to shop there for casual clothes, but the have a good selection of dressier things, too. Check them out!

We do have a Dress Barn here. I haven't noticed fancy dresses there but I guess I wasn't looking.

Don't feel bad about my size. Normally I don't wear 4's. More like 6's but these formals seem to run big.

The stores our teens look for dresses? I have checked them and haven't seen anything I like.

Okay, I have knocked out the royal blue dress. How about the lavender one and I am looking at another icy blue dress on ebay.

Here is a sample of dresses at Chadwicks. I think 4P is the smallest, but their formal wear runs kind of small. www.chadwicks.com How formal is the wedding?

Most of these are clearance, reasonably priced and come in a choice of colors

2104_31311_mm.jpg?wid=125&hei=180&qlt=95&op_sharpen=12104_64641_mm.jpg?wid=125&hei=180&qlt=95&op_sharpen=12104_65071_mm.jpg?wid=125&hei=180&qlt=95&op_sharpen=12104_64253_mm.jpg?wid=125&hei=180&qlt=95&op_sharpen=12104_52123_mm.jpg?wid=125&hei=180&qlt=95&op_sharpen=1

(I had a bunch more, but cc would't let me post but 5)

Remember, you're the mother of the bride. The only person that is supposed to look better than you do is the bride herself. If you have a year take your time and find a dress that you will be comfortable in. If you have on a dress that you are afraid doesn't look right or doesn't feel right you won't enjoy yourself as much. This is an important day and you are a very important part of this day. If you need to cut corners to stay within a budget, cut some place else and spend a little more on yourself.

From the picture, you appear to be a very attractive lady, the wrong dress will detract from your beauty and the right dress will enhance it.

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding.

How formal is the wedding? I would say pretty formal. Church and dinner reception with a DJ and such.

I did order a casual dress that should be here any day from Chadwicks. I guess that should tell me how I fit in clothes from there.

I do like the aqual/teal dress. Next to the girl in the pink off the shoulder dress. I will have to scan their site.

Thanks

How formal is the wedding? I do like the aqual/teal dress. Next to the girl in the pink off the shoulder dress. I will have to scan their site.

That would be gorgeous on you. Beware, Chadwicks causal wear and formal wear isn't always sized the same. I wear a size 6 in everything from them except their formal wear and I have to get an 8 so unless the casual dress is extremely big on you you might want to go ahead and order a formal in that size. There was a day when Chadwicks sold size 2, I don't know when or why they stopped. Good luck:)

Just putting in my two cents worth here ...

My nephew was recently married and the wedding was also pink and black. My sister-in-law (mother of the groom) had a hard time picking a color as well, since she didn't want to stick out but also didn't want to look like a member of the wedding party. She found a lovely three-piece outfit (long skirt with a shell and matching jacket - sort of like a twin set) that was black and silver. There was enough silver that it didn't appear "black" (if that makes sense!) and the silver color looked beautiful with the flower selection and the pink and black of the wedding party.

The mother of the bride was having a similar dilemma, and when she saw my sister-in-law's dress she loved it so much that she bought one in black and silver as well. They were very different styles of course so they didn't look "matchy" but it made the entire wedding party/family look coordinated.

Just a thought! :D

Gingee, STOP trying to purchase your dress online.

With your petite build and your fair coloring, you MUST go try things on.

I would take the time to call the personal shopping departments at both Marshall Field and Lord & Taylor in Chicago and plan on spending a day shopping. This is for Mother of the Bride correct?

This service will not cost you a penny and you are under no obligation to buy.

You are wasting your time and money trying to purchase online and understandably you are getting frustrated.

You'll be so much happier, trust me.

PS put the big white dress for sale on eBay.;)

Some of these are FANTASTIC!

Loved happy k's bloomie's dress - the rose colored one with the jacket & long flowy skirt.

Also, mssqrl posted 2 photos that are great for petite figures - both are the 2nd from the left. One is pink & the other is green. Like the bloomies dress they are jackets & skirts. I think these are called "cocktail suits."

My mom wore something similar to our wedding - she's barely 5ft - & looked fabulous. Her's was just below her knee with a chiffon skirt - don't remember what fabric the jacket was made of - something soft.

I totally agree w/blueherons. Please stop trying to buy such an important dress without trying it on first.

Another suggestion - color. April doesn't necessarily mean pastels. Go for a deep rose or plummy lavendar or ocean blue. Because we're pale blondes we tend to wash-out in lighter tones - try something a little bolder! Take swatches of your daughter's maids' dresses with you when you go shopping just to make sure you don't clash. You have a very special role next year - you want to shine!

Blueherons is absolutely right. Not only should you go on some major shopping/trying on expeditions, you need to take along someone who knows you and will be honest with you.

Your choices all look so modest, which is fine, but you don't need to look mousey. You can still look sohpisticated and classy without showing a lot of skin. The whole point of choosing the right dress is that you wear the dress, the dress doesn't wear you. It's just something you know when you try on the right one. The second dress, the blue one you posted, is a pretty dress, but all wrong for a grown woman, it's a little girls dress.

It's not even about spending a whole lot of money, either. I find things that are drastically reduced, yet I don't buy it unless I love it and I think it looks great on me. I don't believe in "making do" with clothing. Beauty isn't all about skin and figures or height. It comes from within, if you feel great in what you're wearing, you will shine and look beautiful.

Keep shopping, girlfriend :)

Look like a bride? How? You mean the first dress? Anyway, someone is coming over tomorrow to hem my daughter's prom dress and she is going to look at the dress on me and see what can be done to make it look better. I don't think I can resell it on ebay since it has a small hole at the bottom. I didn't know that when I bought it. The woman said basically you should have expected that because it was on the model in her store and was tried on. Hmmmm

I have decided that I either want short sleeves or sleeveless. I did go all around town yesterday trying things on. Get this. The original dress was small petite. That is one of the reasons I jumped on it. It is hard to imagine a dress that is big on you.

Oh well.

Hi,

I have bought and sold on e-bay. a hole in a dress is a defect & it should have been disclosed in the ad.

Just because something has been tried on, or on a dummy should not infer DAMAGE.

If I was that seller, I would have gladly refunded your money- because it was not a disclosed defect...

Well- you have more shopping to do!!!!

Bernadette

96816.jpg

I think this one that was posted earlier is very nice. You look so young and vibrant to wear typical "mother of the bride" dresses. I find a suit very stylish and classy.

This is an elegant suit, but I think this knee length is wrong for someone who is petite. She will look shorter and like her legs are chopped off. I think petite either needs something at the knee or long. JMO

This is an elegant suit, but I think this knee length is wrong for someone who is petite. She will look shorter and like her legs are chopped off. I think petite either needs something at the knee or long. JMO

I agree on the length being wrong for someone so petite.

Archived