Vision of the Seas First Timer

The suggested attire can be found at RCI's website, it applys to ALL the ships. Basically in Windjammer, casual (incl jeans) but no bathing suits, flip flops (I know some will get away with it). In the Aquarius, each night has a different theme. Casual, smart casual, formal. They do 50's or 60's night, Caribbean night, Western night but nobody dresses for these as they don't usually know about it. I haven't seen a difference between casual and smart casual. I wore slacks and a nice top or blouse all the time except for formal night. I wore a cocktail dress for that while only about 30% of the men wore tuxedos. Jeans are not allowed in the Aquarius but once again you'll find those that do and are not asked to leave. There are no specialty restaurants aboard so don't worry about what you're wearing. If you want to wear what you do to McDonald's then eat in the Windjammer the whole time. You don't have to wear your Sunday best to eat in the Aquarius, just dress a step up from "McDonald's" and you'll be fine.

Dining Room,for a 7 or 8 day cruise on the Vision you will have 2 formal nights(Men,suit w/tie or Tux. Ladies, cocktail dress or long or shorter gowns) the rest are casual. I believe two nights say smart casual but you can still just dress like you would if you were going out to eat at home.

Don't wear jeans or shorts in the dining room, it's frowned upon.No flip flops or men in tank top either.Windjammer very casual dress as you like ,just wear shoes and wear a bathing suit cover up. We saw some without. I don't want to see that when I'm eating do you?

All in all you need to be comfortable and have a good time.:) It's a fun ship enjoy!

Don't wear jeans or shorts in the dining room, it's frowned upon.

Only by a few die hard dress enforcers on these forums. RCI will welcome you into the dining room with open arms if you're wearing jeans.

However, you'll generally see far more slacks than jeans. But if you do choose to wear jeans, I've seen enough other people wearing them that I doubt you'll feel out of place.

Unfortunately, dougp....is correct. RCI dropped the no jeans in the dining room a couple of years back.

It would be lovely if I could dress everyone and, if they choose jeans, I could also choose appropriate shirts and footwear, but I'm not ruler of the world yet.

You see a lot of difference in interpretation of formal, as well as casual. Formal ranges everywhere from office wear to ballgowns. Casual ranges everywhere from what people should be wearing to clean out their garage to resort casual, the original intention of casual.

What the dress code used to be:

Formal, men in tux or dark suit, women in cocktail dress, dressy pants or long gown.

Semi-formal, men in suit, women in cocktail dresses or dressy pants.

Casual, men in slacks, shirts with collars, women in slacks or skirts and coordinating tops or sundresses.

Shorts and men in tank tops are the last stronghold for the industry, but I read even they are starting to creep into the room.

Then, there is what you see now, which makes for very interesting people watching. RCI and a couple of other main line cruiselines have pretty much thrown in the towel trying to get people to dress to the requested code. I think because they didn't call it a rule, they were too polite to do so, as they are too polite to be fashion police at the door.

We still dress according to the original dress code. The dining rooms are elegant rooms, we are being served dinner by course. It just seems more appropriate to us to clean up for the occasion.

There used to be a 4th standard, smart casual, but too many people couldn't figure it out.

I never understood that. It seemed pretty simple to me. At least for men that is. Sport coat with dress shirt, tie and slacks or a suit and tie.

I really sort of miss smart casual or semi-formal night. The tux is great but I like the variety I can get with different sports coats, different colored shirts and ties.

Now before anyone says it, I know that I can alter the apperance of my tux by wearing different vests, purchasing different coats and various styles of ties rather than the traditional bow tie but it's just not the same to me.

Archived