Help... Western Carribean compared to Southern Carribean

mcello77

Looking to plan my next cruise for my 30th B'day in January and I am eyeing the Pearl 9 night Southern Carribean out of Miami. I have never done this itinerary, only have done western carribean ports in the past and have really enjoyed those. My question is does anyone know if the ports are very different? Is there as much active stuff to do or is it more laid back? Are southern carribean cruisers a different demographic than western carribean cruisers? Another option for me is the Star Mexican Riviera out of LA though the Pearl will be brand new, so more inviting. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Looking to plan my next cruise for my 30th B'day in January and I am eyeing the Pearl 9 night Southern Carribean out of Miami. I have never done this itinerary, only have done western carribean ports in the past and have really enjoyed those. My question is does anyone know if the ports are very different? Is there as much active stuff to do or is it more laid back? Are southern carribean cruisers a different demographic than western carribean cruisers? Another option for me is the Star Mexican Riviera out of LA though the Pearl will be brand new, so more inviting. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

We sailed the "Jewel" new.

Nothing like sailing a new ship;)

I have done both too many times. Did a western this year from NYC and I am back to the southern next winter. If you are a diver the western is better but as far as active options you have all the same things to do. The usual tour companies - snorkel trips, kayak, ATV, zip lines

If you take this cruise make sure you take the tour to Virgin Gorda Baths in Tortola. Climbing thru the maze of boulder formed caves at the beach is a real adventure.

I in fact like the southern far better. The reason the western is so popular is they can reach a lot of ports in 7 days. To to the southern in 7 days you need to fly to San Juan.

I would jump on the Pearl. The extra days give you all the benefits of sailing from San Juan without the hassle. A good mix of sea days and port days. It is a brand new ship which is always fun.

Most important it is always good to try something different:)

Check out the port of call boards for the ports.

I, too, find the Southern a better route than the Westerm for us. I am not a person who likes to tender and since the hurricane"s damage in the West, it has been a tougher route. Southern seems also more relaxed. IMHO

I would jump on the southern!

We have done the western six times, the eastern four and the southern (ten day) once, by far the southern was the best, of course longer cruises are always better in my opinion.

One thing to know in advance the the age population ont he longer cruises is dramatically different than on the seven day ones. We are in our mid 40's and have a 13 year old son, by far we were the youngest family on the ship, the average age ran I would guess 70. Now it did not bother me in the least, we had a suite so we could spend as much or as little time with others as we wanted but some people were put out by the demenor of the clientelle. The ports on the southern are great and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Thanks for the input everyone. I was sold after shoreguy's comments but starfamily you have me thinking now. About half of our group is in the 20-30 range and I know we would definitely want the ship to have an active nightlife. If it is an older clientele than that might make it a quiet scene at night. I never thought about the fact that a longer cruise would change the crowd.

Thanks for the input everyone. I was sold after shoreguy's comments but starfamily you have me thinking now. About half of our group is in the 20-30 range and I know we would definitely want the ship to have an active nightlife. If it is an older clientele than that might make it a quiet scene at night. I never thought about the fact that a longer cruise would change the crowd.

Don't let the age group scare you. You can make your experience anyway you want, and there will be people onboard who will want to join you, no matter if they are young or old. So your active nightlife will be taken care of.

There is a good mix of people on the longer cruises. I find it hard to believe that starfamily was the youngest family on the ship at mid 40s.(unless it was a HAL `round the world :rolleyes: )

We have cruised a couple of longer cruises and you really don't notice the average age being that old. On the 9 day out of Miami, you will get all ages and your group will not be out of place.

We are also eyeing the 9 day itinerary on the Pearl. The southern itinerary rocks!!!:D (although the western was just as good!!!)

Don't let the age group scare you. You can make your experience anyway you want, and there will be people onboard who will want to join you, no matter if they are young or old. So your active nightlife will be taken care of.

There is a good mix of people on the longer cruises. I find it hard to believe that starfamily was the youngest family on the ship at mid 40s.(unless it was a HAL `round the world :rolleyes: )

We have cruised a couple of longer cruises and you really don't notice the average age being that old. On the 9 day out of Miami, you will get all ages and your group will not be out of place.

We are also eyeing the 9 day itinerary on the Pearl. The southern itinerary rocks!!!:D (although the western was just as good!!!)

Sounds good to me, and come to think of it, I have never not had fun on a cruise. Cruisinbunnies, Is it too early to start a rollcall? :eek:

Cruisinbunnies, Is it too early to start a rollcall? :eek:

You would be surprised at how many roll calls start over a year in advance of the sailing, although the Pearl does not yet have a home for it's roll calls.

I'm on the Dawn April 1, 2007 roll call, and may book this cruise soon. There looks to be a fab group going on this one.

Good luck with your Southern booking on the Pearl.

Bunnies, me darlin' !

I think we have three roll calls going!

Just came back from Easter supper and four more crazy Californians are coming along.

I think the Pearl is going to have to wait until next time, maybe we'll do the Gem as a new ship, looks like everyone is on the Dawn again.....although the Pearl will be doing Alaska....

Talked to Sean, he sends his love to you n Lucky :D

Yeah southern Caribbean is way better. I'd rather start from Puerto Rico but if you can handle a longer trip than Miami would be ok.

Actually, one of the things I love about this itinerary is that it starts from Miami. Gives you a chance to still do the deep Southern Caribbean ports plus more time on the ocean, gotta love that. :D

Hi, guys, please don't judge people by a number which is all a person's age is. I'm 59 years old and have a son that is 10 1/2. Yes, he was born when I was 48! We old people do fun things too. Here is an example of what I just did on the Dream 4/8 - 4/15 cruise we just got back from. My husband and I hit the disco several times. In Roatan I went on the ziplines. The one we did had 20 lines compared with other ones that only had 11 or 12. There were swinging bridges and one bridge was a wire tightrope! It was tough! But this old gal made it through like a champ. I thought I was doing really great when our guide told me that the week before he had a group of 70 year old women (8 of them) who did it! I snorkeled three times and hiked once. We oldies are really lots of fun! We dined and partied with people way younger than us that enjoyed our company and asked for our phone and e-mail numbers so that they could stay in touch.

Please don't make age an issue or you may miss out on meeting lots of cool people!:D

If I could get on the Pearl in New York City I would be signed up now, as it is, it cost us another $1000 to fly to Miami so this restricts us, but if I was you I would want to try it, it's brand new.......:D

As far as the western verus the southern I just came back from the western and loved it and hubby has done both and loved both....

Hi there, have been on 20+ cruises and Southern is by far my favorite.

You will be able to find as much or little adventure in each port as you want to!

Different, colorful, fun, friendly islands. Go for it!!

If you have time in Barbados, go have lunch at Brown Sugar, it is worth the taxi ride !!

Linda

Archived