QE2 Cabin 3075

stephen@stoneyard.co.uk

Hi Stephen, You've gone from a C2 to a P2?

Don't have personal experience of either of these cabins but see attachments for cabin layouts. 3075 looks identical to 3131/3133 (C1's) which we have stayed in. Excellent cabins. Huge amounts of drawer and hanging space.

Are you sure the portholes are larger on Two Deck? I've checked some photos and don't see any noticable difference.

Regards, Colin.

QE22051.JPG.ef82bcb42ff09a83159d247833ae2641.JPG

QE23075.JPG.d1cca6bda6764b3fa6db076a2663f133.JPG

Stephen

if it helps we were in 3069 last May just 3 cabins away - photos attached. As you can see the portholes were large and let plenty of light in. It was P2, but looks just a little narrower than 3075. The bathroom was pretty basic but I guess every cabin may be different!!!

Regards

Ken

PS - sorry about the silly size of these attachments - try the album at http://community.webshots.com/album/341101655AJIbyb for the original versions.

Stephen,

This site was posted recently by Losuds63 an invaluable resource called,

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com. Here's a link to the site. After you click on deck three a deck plan will appear, click on the specific room number and a picture pops up with information.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Cunard/qelizabeth2.htm

Cruiserking

;)

I have been allocated cabin 3075. Please has anybody any experience of this cabin. Good or Bad? Origionally we had 2051.

Well, congratulations - you have received the Holy Grail of upgrades, the Grill Class upgrade!

I can't comment specifically on 3075 but it should be a nice cabin - at least I don't think I've been in it specifically, though perhaps I have - but I have been in cabins which are pretty much identical and they have all been very nice cabins. As former first-class cabins they have big bathrooms, walk-in closets, extremely high ceilings, very large portholes, sitting areas, lots of storage space, etc. As I said, they are very nice.

Nonetheless I must bring your attention to one caveat about these cabins - they have two single beds which are pushed together. Cunard will tell you that the cabin can be converted from two singles to one double but all this means is that they can make up the bed as a double (with double sheets) or as two singles (single sheets) but even if you have these configured as "singles" they are still right up against each other... Not as with cabins in newer ships (e.g. QM2) where "converting" from a double to a pair of singles means that the beds are physically moved apart.

This is of course a moot point four couples travelling together (or if you are alone) but I think it is always worth mentioning as it has the potential to create an uncomfortable situation for two people sharing a cabin who are not "close" if you will!

But otherwise, it should be an excellent cabin. And again, congratulations on that upgrade!

3075 looks identical to 3131/3133 (C1's) which we have stayed in.

Yes, virtually all cabins in Q4, P1, P2, P3, P4 and C1 are identical. Some are slightly wider than others but for all practical purposes they are all the same, with a few exceptions that are "oddities".

The most obvious difference, actually, is that the ones on Three Deck are decorated in blue while the ones on One and Two Deck are decorated in red. Honestly, this is the biggest difference between most of these cabins!

Are you sure the portholes are larger on Two Deck? I've checked some photos and don't see any noticable difference.

Two Deck portholes are slightly larger... Well, I didn't measure, but they are not the same, and I assume they are larger rather than smaller. If you look closely you will see that the Two Deck portholes are a sort of oblong shape while the ones on Three Deck are perfectly round, though very nearly as large.

I might add that the very far forward and aft portholes on Two and Three Decks are the small round portholes with deadlights as on Four and Five Decks. One Deck has the Two Deck-style portholes except for the Q3 cabins amidships which have the three-paned oval windows (not portholes) which are very coveted.

Originally the One and Two Deck portholes opened while I don't think the Three Deck ones did; however I believe they are all welded shut now so this makes little difference. Considering that she has always been fully air-conditioned, the opening portholes were a bit of a throwback, but they were there...

The bathroom was pretty basic but I guess every cabin may be different!!!

Well, I am told that there are some P grade cabins which have fully-renovated bathrooms, apparently the same as the Q grade bathrooms which are all marble and very luxurious. Alas, as far as I can tell, the fully-renovated P grade bathroom is a rarity or perhaps even a myth as all the P grade cabins I have seen have had bathrooms of the "lightly refurbished" variety. The ones I saw were all in good condition but they are certainly utilitarian in appearance and for such expensive cabins they should really be much nicer. Bizarrely enough, the C1 grade cabins - which are virtually identical to P cabins but are Caronia rather than Princess Grill, and so are much cheaper - do have fully renovated bathrooms, of the type in all C and M grade cabins. These are not as over-the-top luxurious as the all-marble Q grade bathrooms but nonetheless they are new and very nice with entirely new plumbing, new tile, marble countertops, etc. Certainly they are nicer than the "partial renovations" in most P grade cabins, anyway.

That said, I would certainly not avoid a P cabin just because they bathrooms aren't as pretty as they should be at those prices... Otherwise they are really nice cabins, and many people rate the Princess Grill as their favorite restaurant. (It is fairly common for passengers to actually Queens Grill for the bigger cabin but request to dine in Princess Grill instead because of the more intimate atmosphere of the restaurant.)

This site was posted recently by Losuds63 an invaluable resource called, www.cruisedeckplans.com.

As I just got through explaining on another thread, it's not as invaluable as it appears... Or at least not for QE2, anyway. It doesn't show you a photo of that cabin but merely one cabin within that grade (and in some cases, not even that). I will admit that the P2 grade is pretty homogeneous, but most of QE2's other cabin grades have myriad different sizes and shapes which means the photo may bear little resemblance to the cabin that one clicked on. Indeed, the deck plans and photos are straight out of the Cunard brochure, so as far as I can see the site offers nothing that one can't get by picking up a brochure or looking at Cunard's own web site which presents precisely the same information in a slightly different format.

Thanks for all that information. The plans and photos really helped. I am reassured the new cabin will be great. The cabins in these grades look very spacious and comfortable. I did not realise some of the bathrooms had not been refitted. I am sure it will be clean and serviceable. We should be able to survive the twin beds. Only three weeks to wait now.

Thanks again.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Guest debbiejohncruise
Well, congratulations - you have received the Holy Grail of upgrades, the Grill Class upgrade!

I can't comment specifically on 3075 but it should be a nice cabin - at least I don't think I've been in it specifically, though perhaps I have - but I have been in cabins which are pretty much identical and they have all been very nice cabins. As former first-class cabins they have big bathrooms, walk-in closets, extremely high ceilings, very large portholes, sitting areas, lots of storage space, etc. As I said, they are very nice.

Nonetheless I must bring your attention to one caveat about these cabins - they have two single beds which are pushed together. Cunard will tell you that the cabin can be converted from two singles to one double but all this means is that they can make up the bed as a double (with double sheets) or as two singles (single sheets) but even if you have these configured as "singles" they are still right up against each other... Not as with cabins in newer ships (e.g. QM2) where "converting" from a double to a pair of singles means that the beds are physically moved apart.

This is of course a moot point four couples travelling together (or if you are alone) but I think it is always worth mentioning as it has the potential to create an uncomfortable situation for two people sharing a cabin who are not "close" if you will!

But otherwise, it should be an excellent cabin. And again, congratulations on that upgrade!

Yes, virtually all cabins in Q4, P1, P2, P3, P4 and C1 are identical. Some are slightly wider than others but for all practical purposes they are all the same, with a few exceptions that are "oddities".

The most obvious difference, actually, is that the ones on Three Deck are decorated in blue while the ones on One and Two Deck are decorated in red. Honestly, this is the biggest difference between most of these cabins!

Two Deck portholes are slightly larger... Well, I didn't measure, but they are not the same, and I assume they are larger rather than smaller. If you look closely you will see that the Two Deck portholes are a sort of oblong shape while the ones on Three Deck are perfectly round, though very nearly as large.

I might add that the very far forward and aft portholes on Two and Three Decks are the small round portholes with deadlights as on Four and Five Decks. One Deck has the Two Deck-style portholes except for the Q3 cabins amidships which have the three-paned oval windows (not portholes) which are very coveted.

Originally the One and Two Deck portholes opened while I don't think the Three Deck ones did; however I believe they are all welded shut now so this makes little difference. Considering that she has always been fully air-conditioned, the opening portholes were a bit of a throwback, but they were there...

Well, I am told that there are some P grade cabins which have fully-renovated bathrooms, apparently the same as the Q grade bathrooms which are all marble and very luxurious. Alas, as far as I can tell, the fully-renovated P grade bathroom is a rarity or perhaps even a myth as all the P grade cabins I have seen have had bathrooms of the "lightly refurbished" variety. The ones I saw were all in good condition but they are certainly utilitarian in appearance and for such expensive cabins they should really be much nicer. Bizarrely enough, the C1 grade cabins - which are virtually identical to P cabins but are Caronia rather than Princess Grill, and so are much cheaper - do have fully renovated bathrooms, of the type in all C and M grade cabins. These are not as over-the-top luxurious as the all-marble Q grade bathrooms but nonetheless they are new and very nice with entirely new plumbing, new tile, marble countertops, etc. Certainly they are nicer than the "partial renovations" in most P grade cabins, anyway.

That said, I would certainly not avoid a P cabin just because they bathrooms aren't as pretty as they should be at those prices... Otherwise they are really nice cabins, and many people rate the Princess Grill as their favorite restaurant. (It is fairly common for passengers to actually Queens Grill for the bigger cabin but request to dine in Princess Grill instead because of the more intimate atmosphere of the restaurant.)

As I just got through explaining on another thread, it's not as invaluable as it appears... Or at least not for QE2, anyway. It doesn't show you a photo of that cabin but merely one cabin within that grade (and in some cases, not even that). I will admit that the P2 grade is pretty homogeneous, but most of QE2's other cabin grades have myriad different sizes and shapes which means the photo may bear little resemblance to the cabin that one clicked on. Indeed, the deck plans and photos are straight out of the Cunard brochure, so as far as I can see the site offers nothing that one can't get by picking up a brochure or looking at Cunard's own web site which presents precisely the same information in a slightly different format.

Hate to disagree with the host but I was very disappointed with the Cunard website. Strange we have to go and search elsewhere to see actual photos of rooms we want to look at. We are going on a Baltic cruise in 3 weeks but will (hopefully) be cruising from Southampton to New York in a couple of years and there is nothing worse than trying to find a pic of a room. Debbie

Using the Voyage Personaliser I can see I have been allocated cabin 3075. Please has anybody any experience of this cabin. Good or Bad? Originally we had 2051. I picked two deck (rather than three deck) for the larger portholes.

Thanks, Stephen.

Oddly enough that's the cabin my parents had at Christmas. It's not remarkable, although it is sufficient for Princess Grill accommodation. The big plus is that the bathroom hasn't been refitted; it's still the way it was designed.

The big plus is that the bathroom hasn't been refitted; it's still the way it was designed.

This is a plus ;) ?

Actually, I don't think there are any bathrooms that haven't been refitted at all. The "non-refitted" ones have been partially refitted; they just weren't completely gutted and rebuilt as the other bathrooms have been. But as I recall, the plumbing fixtures, vanities, medicine cabinets, etc. were new... They just didn't have the fancy new tilework that the other bathrooms got.

Personally, while I treasure most of the "original" parts of QE2, I can't say that I see much in these (semi-) "original" bathrooms. They're fine, but I prefer the new ones. It's not as though there is anything distinctive or special about the old ones that I saw - they're about as ordinary as it gets. Perhaps if the original plumbing fixtures were still there (and as I said, to my knowledge, none of them are - unless cabin 3075 has an even less-renovated bathroom than the other PG cabins), I might think differently. As they are, they look a lot like the new bathrooms, just plainer and more worn.

Either way, as long as it's clean and it works, I really don't care too much about my bathroom :) !

This is a plus ;) ?

I don't think there are any bathrooms that haven't been refitted at all.

I don't know if the bathroom was refitted or not since the ship was built. (~Thinking about it I think that the toilet might have been new but the bath and basin weren't). It certainly wasn't refitted either during or post refit of 1994. It's not the only cabin with a bathroom like that - ours, 3079, was the same.

I agree that cleanliness and utility are important but, thinking back to 1994, a toilet that doesn't blow back is also a plus!:D

Stephen,

This site was posted recently by Losuds63 an invaluable resource called,

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com. Here's a link to the site. After you click on deck three a deck plan will appear, click on the specific room number and a picture pops up with information.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Cunard/qelizabeth2.htm

Cruiserking

;)

For QE2, these may not all be accurate. What has been posted above by others are the deck plans from the 1980's which show the true congifuration for all the cabins - they are not all to scale and some are very much misrepresented, especially some the Caronia Cabins. This is the current catalog deck plan and for QE2 you take your chances with it.

I travel in UK staying at hotels regularly so am used to unmodernized bathrooms.

How "unmodernized" ;) ?

Seriously, despite the big fuss made here, you'd probably never even notice that the bathroom isn't new... It doesn't look fancy (no marble), but there's nothing noticeably old about it, it's just not as pretty as the rest of the ship's bathrooms (most of which are really nice).

How "unmodernized" ;) ?

Seriously, despite the big fuss made here, you'd probably never even notice that the bathroom isn't new... It doesn't look fancy (no marble), but there's nothing noticeably old about it, it's just not as pretty as the rest of the ship's bathrooms (most of which are really nice).

Well, if it doesn't have a bidet, then just forget it! <sniff>

Karie, who can't believe we are discussing bathroom habits! <G>

It's just not as pretty as the rest of the ship's bathrooms (most of which are really nice).

Really nice? The old Mauritania bathrooms had big showers. The doors didn't swing half way across the shower. The ones they've got now are just small.

Well, if it doesn't have a bidet, then just forget it! <sniff>

No, no bidet I'm afraid :( - you'll just have to soak your feet in the bath:)

How "unmodernized" ;) ?

I beg to differ (not make a fuss) - if you are paying Grill class fares you should expect a reasonably decent bathroom. I don't mean fancy marble (though that is a first class bathroom finish), I mean a good standard of floor and wall tiling and other decent fittings and finishes. The floor tiles were old, worn and the grouting dirty (see photos). Everything just 'felt' old and shabby - including the vinyl wallpaper used to cover up damaged formica panelling.

Ken

The floor tiles were old, worn and the grouting dirty (see photos). Everything just 'felt' old and shabby

I wonder if this isn't one of the benefits of the QE2 - all the cabins are different - in this case it's in the standard of the bathroom. We didn't notice anything "worn", "shabby" or "dirty" about the bathrooms of 3075 or 3079. I thin that out main criticism would have been that we would have liked the cabin to be larger.

Archived