Infant cruising costs

AndrewTH

What are policies for the mass market cruises lines for infant travel? I know most allow 6 months and up, but are they allowed to cruise for free, the standard 3rd passenger rate, or something in between? My wife and I want go, but can't see spending a lot of extra money to take our son on a cruise who won't really incurr any costs to the cruiseline just so we can go on a cruise. BTW, we just are not ready to leave him with grandparents for even the length of the shortest bahaman cruise.

Also we cruise to relax, get away, and eat, so shore excursions are not important to us, nor is socializing.

They will charge the third pasenger rate. It is considered a reasonable cost since they will be cleaning the room a little more and emptying soiled diapers and such. I know that does not make up for the cost of such a ticket but they will not bend on this. Sorry. Enjoy your cruise either way.

They pay full fair. If it is one adult and one infant in the cabin, they would be charged the full second passenger fair. Two adults and one infant, the 3rd person reduced rate would be charged.

Children 2 and older are charged the $10 per person, per day TIPing.

Once in a while, you will find a deal where they don't charge for infants, or have a reduced rate for infants. Otherwise, they pay what everyone else pays. The cruiseline considers them to be a whole person, a soul taking up space on the life rafts. Although we all know the little one will be on its parent lap, they are still counted. The Coast Guard (I think) only allows a vessel X amount of pax, no matter their age.

It is hard to understand, because so many other venues don't charge for infants. I agree, they don't take up much space (except the crib takes all the cabin floor space!) they don't eat the food, can't go to the kids club, don't use the pool etc... But, it's their ship, their rules and you either have to pay the price or not go.

If you only compare it to the services they use, the space they take up and food they eat, well there are a whole lot of pax onboard cruise ships who should be paying 2-3X what others are paying.

When our kids were that young, we found it so much easier to just vacation locally at a hotel.

BTW, congratulations on your new little one!

Since the Coast Guard will only allow a maximum number of passengers ("souls") onboard, regardless of age, height, weight, etc., the Cruise Lines are just making a revenue related decision in charging for infants. Seems reasonable to me!

But as someone pointed out, it's their ship, and their rules ----- so pay and take the little one or not. That's the free choice we all have........

Archived