QE2 cabin 5171

oldgit

Any kind soul willing to post a layout for this cabin? I've been trying to figure out from the brochure plan where the beds might be but it's not obvious.

I would be hugely obliged.

Oldgit,

A very helpful link to a site called http://www.cruisedeckplans.com was posted by Losuds63. Here's a link below that will show a picture of the room.

Just click on the deck number, and then click the appropriate room number on the deck plan and Bob's your Uncle. It's great fun really, to look at all the different room layouts.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Cunard/qelizabeth2.htm

Cruiserking

Sorry to say but unfortunately, the site mentioned by Cruiserking is pretty much useless for QE2.

When you click on a cabin, the site takes you to a generic page for that category of cabin - actually, not even that specific category, but for several "similar" categories - which is problematic in itself as aboard QE2 there is a huge variation in size, shape, furnishing, etc. within many of the categories. When I clicked on 5171 I was lead to the page for categories M3, M4, and M5. The site uses an obsolete deck plan; in this year's grading system this translates to M4, M5, and M6, so 5171 is depicted on that plan as an M4 though it is now as an M5. To make matters worse, the page shows a photograph that is not even of a cabin one of those grades! Those are all inside cabin grades, and the photo depicts an outside cabin (either a C5 or M1 grade on Three Deck) - you can see where the curtains are drawn back to reveal the porthole (though the porthole itself is "cut out" of the photo). To be fair to the owner of that site, this photo was actually shown in a Cunard brochure a few years back with a caption indicating that it was an inside! Oops!

To be fair, this is not a problem unique to this site, but to virtually all publications of the past decade or so. They assume that, as in modern ships, all cabins within a category tend to be virtually identical due to modular cabin construction. This is the case, for example, with QM2, but QE2 doesn't have modular cabins so there are huge variations within categories. Just the range of square footages quoted for each cabin grade belies this - for example, C5 cabins can be anywhere from 103 to 218 sq ft! (C5 happens to be a particularly tricky grade with both some wonderful cabins and some really awful ones.) The only way to depict cabin layouts for QE2 with any kind of accuracy is to depict the layout of every individual cabin - which is what deck plans did through the early '80s or thereabouts. Even Cunard's own current brochures show "typical" layouts that may apply to, say, 2 of 50 cabins in a given grade - utterly useless unless you know which specific cabin they're depicting! So the best way to find out what a QE2 cabin is like is to get hold of one of these old deck plans - printed from 1968 to the early '80s or so - which will show you the layout of every single cabin (barring a few new cabins that have been added since then). They are widely available from dealers of ocean liner ephemera. Choosing a QE2 cabin without one of these is a shot in the dark otherwise!

Unfortunately, I don't have one of these old plans with me at the moment, or else I'd gladly scan in cabin 5175 to show it's layout. (Actually, I don't have a scanner where I am right now either, but that's beside the point.) Hopefully someone else has a plan handy and can scan it in for you, as it will show you exactly where everything (beds, wardrobes, bathroom, etc.) is placed in this cabin.

• 1 year later...
Do you know the size of this particular cabin, 5171 ?

I am going with QE2 from Southampton on July 24th!

Thank you in advance, very much!

Oscar Berner

Oscar, I believe it's 125 sq ft...have a great voyage.

Leone

Archived