Cabins-Discovery World Cruises

hybrn8

Hi! Anyone who has first-hand knowledge of this ship's cabins is requested to provide insight as to the comfort/size/amenities of the upper-tier cabins. We are interested in a July 2007 cruise from England through Iceland and back but the brochure and the website photos make the cabins look pretty basic and bland. Some of the public rooms, particularly the main dining area, look likewise boring. Don't want/need a lot of glitz/glamour but do want good value for money. Thanx!

Good that you have first hand experience! Looking at a D, an E, or an F category. No too worried about obstructed views. What can you tell me about the ship? It is really much bigger than we like but the itinerary interests us. Feel like a larger liner type ship would handle North Sea and those other bumpy waters better than some of the smaller vessels. Looking forward to hearing from you! THanx.

I am a little alarmed by your response about Discovery "doing so well". What do you know that we don't, and should? We just booked the 34 day Antarctica to Tahiti for Feb. 07. Are they having problems? Please clue me in.

Thanks.

I am a little alarmed by your response about Discovery "doing so well". What do you know that we don't, and should?

Nothing - all I meant is that if, as Babette says, many of their cruises for summer 2007 (more than a year away) are already sold out, they must be doing extremely well.

There seems to be a real lack of feedback regarding this line !

As I am leaving on Tuesday for the UK to join the Galapagos/Panama cruise, I will give an update on how things are,including the cabins(though I know they are very small)

I decided on this cruise for the itininerary, I was on the Statendam in January, Auckland/Sydney, the ports were great /the ship not that impressed, ie.windows always DIRTY!

However, Holland do have a good product and the Amsterdam to Antarctica was superb, in fact have chosen the Prisendam as follow up to Discovery in September next.

Discovery is an appx 32yr old vessel without any glitz and according to most reviews very ordinary cuisine, but it is always commented that the ship is spotless and staff are great and with the feel of a ship, not a floating resort--- sure that my expectations will be met. :)

If you go to cruisereviews.com & find Discovery world cruises, the only review is by me, of our Greenland cruise in Aug 04. Might help, we would go on ship again but true it is not the same as modern ships. for us the intinerary was the main interest & we enjoyed the cruise a lot.

During the summer UK season Discovery offer a program of visits to the ship including lunch for which you have to pay 20 pound (about 35 dollars) though this is credited against a future booking. Last year we were too slow to take up the offer and all the dates were sold out, so this year we have put in a request for any of three dates. If we succeed I will post a message of our thoughts about the ship.

We did a 22 night cruise from Auckland NZ to Papeete ( Tahiti ) returning some two weeks ago.

We found the ship and cruise excellent. We had a large cabin on the promenade deck forward. The ship is quite old but fairly well maintained-some areas better than others but generally good. We found the food excellent and the staff from the Captain downwards to be very friendly

We would certainly go again.

Kind regards

Tony

• 5 weeks later...

Archived