Alaska Slideshow

JPCruising

Thanks so much! Your pictures amazed me the first time I saw them, then when we made our trip to Alaska last May we were able to experience the reality of the beauty and majesty of that great land! We're making our second tirp the end of May and seeing your pictures in this beautiful format, makes me even more excited about trip!

Thanks again!

Thanks for the great comments. Alaska is such a great place I am really hoping to go again in a year or two. This summer I will be going on a New England/Canada cruise so perhaps 2007 or 08 I will get back to Alaska.

I used a Canon Digital Rebel SLR to take those pictures on the slideshow. That camera is a 6.3 mega pixel and I had my laptop along so I could download my memory cards. I also learned a lot by shooting and downloading to the laptop often. I was able to review what I was doing and make changes as needed.

I have a friend who is going to buy that exact camera.

We both have the Canon Rebel 35 mm and hers was stolen so she is going to the digital.I may have to invest in that one as well.We took a photography class together and had a great time with it.

Your pics are beautiful and it makes me anxious to get to Alaska and take some great pics as well.

I especially loved the pics of the animals(dog's and cat).Great shots.

Thanks for replying to my question.

May have to go out Camera shopping.:eek:

Karen

I downloaded Pro Show Gold by Photodex--I think that is the same program used here. I highly recommend it. You can make DVD's from your photos, pan in and out, and add your own music. It's so much nicer to view your photos this way, rather than sticking them in an album. :)

I used a Canon Digital Rebel SLR to take those pictures on the slideshow. That camera is a 6.3 mega pixel and I had my laptop along so I could download my memory cards. I also learned a lot by shooting and downloading to the laptop often. I was able to review what I was doing and make changes as needed.

I'm pretty much of an amateur photographer. Could you tell me what settings you used on the cloudy days? The pics taken in Misty Fjords look like the day was cloudy, but your pics are so clear and crisp! Do you have a standard way you set your camera for cloudy days? Thanks so much!!

Great show. I am going to go out and get Pro Show Gold for my own presentations. I took about 2,000 photos of my trip to Alaska and 1,000 each of my other four cruises. I want to make presentations more than just throwing up a few slides on a web site and this is the day to go. I also saw the one feature done on the Pro Show website that was done of the bears at Brooks Falls. What an award-winning presentation. Soon, you will see some of my slideshows up on CruiseCritic.:)

Ray and Barbara

I'm pretty much of an amateur photographer. Could you tell me what settings you used on the cloudy days? The pics taken in Misty Fjords look like the day was cloudy, but your pics are so clear and crisp! Do you have a standard way you set your camera for cloudy days? Thanks so much!!

Hello Lindalo5032 I don't use any special settings. I usually shoot in AV mode on the Canon DSLR which is aperture mode. This allows me to control depth of field by adjusting the aperture and the camera determines the shutter speed. In tricky lighting and contrast I will switch to manual mode for full control of all the settings. One thing that I found helpful on the Alaska pictures was to adjust the contrast using Photoshop Elements. If you have that program and some hazy or overcast photos try the auto smart fix feature found in the edit mode under enhance, often times I find it does a great job.

Hello Lindalo5032 I don't use any special settings. I usually shoot in AV mode on the Canon DSLR which is aperture mode. This allows me to control depth of field by adjusting the aperture and the camera determines the shutter speed. In tricky lighting and contrast I will switch to manual mode for full control of all the settings. One thing that I found helpful on the Alaska pictures was to adjust the contrast using Photoshop Elements. If you have that program and some hazy or overcast photos try the auto smart fix feature found in the edit mode under enhance, often times I find it does a great job.

Thanks--I have used other software auto fix features, with some success. Just wondered if you had any "magic" combination for those cloudy Alaska days. I'm not quite advanced enough to handle the manual mode :confused:

Congrats on the purchase of your new Canon Digital Rebel XT. Be sure to read your manual, I recommend reading it several times and if at times all the information seems too complex and overwhelming close the manual and step outside and shoot some pictures. I first started out using the auto setting and over time worked into other modes on the camera. Alaska is so beautiful that it makes us all look good. As you take pictures take time to frame your shots, if shooting landscapes or seascapes try to keep the horizon level in the view finder. While taking pictures of the grand views don't forget the little things around you and most important have FUN!

Archived