Dining with the Danes

Choices

Wondered if any of our CC members have participated in the activity called "Dining With The Danes" that allows you to have dinner with a Danish family in their home.They try to match you up regarding demographics, intersts, hobbies, etc. This program operates out of Copenhagen, and sounds like it might be an opportunity to get a bit closer to the Danish experience. The program is called Dining with the Danes; I found it browsing through restaurants in Copenhagen.

Would welcome any information or experience about the program. Booked on the Star in early June, and really hoping they get their European and Baltic cruise season started on May 15th as they advertise.

Thanks in advance

Choices

Wondered if any of our CC members have participated in the activity called "Dining With The Danes" that allows you to have dinner with a Danish family in their home.They try to match you up regarding demographics, intersts, hobbies, etc. This program operates out of Copenhagen, and sounds like it might be an opportunity to get a bit closer to the Danish experience. The program is called Dining with the Danes; I found it browsing through restaurants in Copenhagen.

Would welcome any information or experience about the program. Booked on the Star in early June, and really hoping they get their European and Baltic cruise season started on May 15th as they advertise.

Thanks in advance

Choices

I used to live in Denmark as an exchange student and I think this is an excellent idea. When I was doing my research for my trip last summer, I too came accross this activity. With the schedule of what I had planned for my family, this was not practical for us. But, I do think it would be a great experience, and if you have any interest what so ever, that you chould check it out, and hopefully participate.

First, you'll have no problems communicating, all Danes, at nearly all age levels speak excellent English.

As for transportation to the location where you'll have dinner, this should not be a problem. Denmark, and the Copenhagen area has an excellent transportation system with trains, and busses. Of course, there's always the Taxi option too.

By visiting a Danish home, you'll get a very good and probably typical meal. You'll not be served any mystery meat, so you can feel confident you'll probably like what is served. You'll not find anything weird at the table.

Last, you'll experience a bit of Danish culture, home, and lifestyle. Besides the food, this will be the highlight of the experience and the sole reason for taking advantage of this opportunity. There is no better way to truly experience a culture, than to spend time with the locals, and doing what they do. To do this in the home is the best way to see the culture.

For those who think that showing up for dinner in a strangers home might be a bit uncomfortable, be assured, that the Danish family is doing this because they want to meet you. They are not doing this for the money as might be the case in lesser developed countries. Denmark has a high standard of living for all citizens. They are doing this for the sole purpose of meeting you. Therefore, you are welcomed into their home, a home where new friends are awaiting your visit.

I must admit, I didn't put too much thought into this option last year when I discovered this unique activity. But now I fully believe that if you can fit it in your schedule, you'll find it will probably be one of the best activities on your trip. What a great idea if you can do this.

Have fun,

Steve

Here's a link to Meet the Danes: http://www.meetthedanes.dk/MTD/en/ or email to info@meetthedanes.dk

The more I think about this, the more I realize what a truly wonderful idea and opportunity this is. I've not seen anything on this board about this , not even last year, and I am so glad you brought it up. I believe this opportunity has been, until now, undiscovered, or in my case, overlooked.

If I had just one evening in Denmark, I'd probably prefer this over Tivoli. Although Tivoli is open late, so you might still be able to do both.

I think I'd also prefer a Danish home away from downtown Copenhagen, just for the opportunity to get outside the city. Any suburb or rural area would be great. Being in the suburbs provides the opportunity of being placed for dinner in a home which might have a garden and if the weather is good, outside dining. The Danes love their warm weather, which unforuntately is relatively rare compared to the weather we have in the US.

At any rate, I think this idea is best undiscovered evening activity.

Archived