Flights Within China

emeyers

We will be taking a 9 day pre cruise tour in China prior to our October 26th cruise on the Sapphire Princess. We will have 3 flights within China.

I understand there is a strict weight restriction regarding checking of luggage on the flights.

I've been trying to obtain information on the luggage allowance, thus far without success.

Does anyone have this information?

Thanks

Ellis

Hey, Ellis!

We had similar questions and the answer we got was one bag per person, 44 pounds with no squirming room (able to pay more for extra weight). The hotel will store your extra bags until you get back. That way you don't have to worry about what to do with everything you've purchaed throughtout to trip. You might also check some of my old posts for more information regarding the types of equipment used and flights.

Hope this helps!

Charlie

It was brought to my attention my last trip to Asia (February/March) that people on a tour have their luggage weighed as a group. And the guide takes care of insuring that no one is overweight. So a little slack there.

However, if you are flying independently (not on a group tour OR through a Chinese travel agency-you just booked the flight yourself somehow), they DEFINITELY weigh the luggage and are really strict. I got tagged with $134.00 in overweight fees, EVEN though I had onward business class tickets to Los Angeles. I flew from Hanoi to Shenzhen on Air China, then Cathay Pacific to Los Angeles. I should have been allowed 2 bags, 70 pounds each. I was only allowed 2 bags, 44 pounds each, even though the ticket was Cathay Pacific. So I was waaay overweight. Next time, I will get on the Hanoi/HKG flight on Vietnam Airlines, even though it is more expensive. You live and learn.

• 2 weeks later...

We recieved our paperwork today and there was a packet - printed on yellow (bad choice) paper. It had lots of information, but especially on the flights. They said that the weight limit isn't per bag, but per person and that you can be charged up to $4 a pound in excess. They sound very firm on this, but we are still extremely excited and can't wait to see the countryside and meet the people. this is really a trip of a lifetime for us and it wouldn't have happened without Princess. Courting the risk of being called a cheerleader, yea, Princess!

Charlie

They said that the weight limit isn't per bag, but per person and that you can be charged up to $4 a pound in excess.

EXACTLY what I heard-tour groups are "lumped together". Example: If one person has 30 pounds, but the other has 50 pounds, you are "lumped togther" to get to the weight limit PER PERSON.

There is definitely some slack on a tour and the tour leader is responsible to the airline to make sure the weight limit is not over. In fact, I was told by CTS representative that the tour leader's luggage allowance is also "lumped" into the total for the tour. And most tour leader's only carry a backpack. So a few pounds here and a few pounds there ON A TOUR are not a big deal.

But try flying independently. They weigh EACH suitcase. And if you are over, as they say I was, it costs a lot.

this is really a trip of a lifetime for us and it wouldn't have happened without Princess. Courting the risk of being called a cheerleader, yea, Princess!

Charlie

Why do you feel Princess is the only reason your trip happened?

Just curious-there are so many ways to get to China/Vietnam/Bangkok now days. Was it the cruise aspect or just the idea that it was easy to do on a cruise/cruise tour?

Greatam, not a problem. While we have been to Japan to visit friends, we never considered taking a trip to the Orient until we read about Princess's offerings. We like Princess and we especially enjoyed the Pacific Princess's sister, the Tahitian.

Until recently, it was more difficult than not to travel to China. When my brother went in '78, he faced considerable obstacles. We have only started traveling internationally and much of that is because of the cruises that Princess offers. We like to try a bunch of stuff before heading back for an extended stay. That's what we did for New Zealand and Australia. Yes, there are other ways to do it, but the ease of using Princess makes it more attractive. There are cheaper ways to do it, as well, but Princess offers us a first class trip on what would be cattle class on other lines. We are able to do more and spend more by taking Princess as opposed to the more expensive lines.

Princess offers a sort of safety net in that we don't have to go into a foreign country and worry about health issues, the language barrier, etc. Even thought Princess can't protect us completely, it is something that we feel comfortable with. These aren't really strong issues, I know, but we never would have considered this trip without Princess's involvement. That's why I say, yea, Princess. They are helping us to realize a larger world.

Charlie

Things have changed since 1978. I was expecting something out of the Good Earth when I went to China two years ago, and instead found something out of the Jetsons. Shanghai is the most modern city I have ever been to and I live in NYC.

The night before we were scheduled to see the three gorges dam, I came down with athlete's foot, not wanting to pay 80 to have the ships doctor tell me I needed athlete foot medication, I asked the tour guide if we could stop in a drug store the following day(he said of course). After touring the Dam(and instead of turning right to go back to the ship) we went into the town built for the Dam. We stopped at what looked like any US pharmacy like CVS or similar and for $2.00 I got the spray(which had instructions both in English and Chinese). One of my fellow ship mates asked if they had lactose intolerance pills- they looked at her liked she was nuts...

They do say that you should take anything in your travel kit that you might think of needing, but it's nice to know that you can nip into some place for those emergency items. I remember when our very good friends were living in Japan for a year and the wife came down with a yeast infection. She asked us to pick up something (Monistat, I think) for her and we did and sent it to her, but then the delivery was delayed because Japan didn't want to drug in the country. Thankfully we had shipped it Fed Ex and they took on the officials saying that it was for a US citizen and she had the right to the medicine. Our friend finally got it and was much relieved. However, it just goes to show...

I can't wait to see China, even though we have nothing to compare it to. it will will be exciting and wonderful and exotic. Seventy five days and counting!

Charlie

Archived