Nextel - Western Carribean

D&MCRUISERS

Hey everyone, Thought I'd try and get an answer before customer service for Nextel is open tomorrow.

I have a Nextel thru my job and want to be able to get in touch and see how the kids are doing while were gone. Were on the Miracle next weekend going to Grand Caymen,Coz,Belize and Costa Maya.

According to Nextels Website they have reception in a cpl of these places, BUT my question is, is roaming or international reception built in or a special plan. I'm not to concerned about the additional charges as they will be much cheaper than calling from ship. I just want to know if I can do it or not.

Also, do you need a special calling card to use at pay phones at the places were going ?

Were going to have them plan ahead of time that they may not hear from us, but it would be nice to check in on them once or twice.

Thanks bunches !!!!!!!!!!!!

We have Nextel and back in October inquired about using the phones. We were told that we had to have a certain phone-model i920 or i930 and an international service plan to be able to use the towers there. These will only work in Grand Cayman and Belize. They will not work in Costa Maya or Coz. Don't know about the phone cards, tho.

You can go to Nextel/Sprint's website and find out more information on what is available.

Cindy

I have Sprint (I think most of their plans are the same now since the merger with Nextel) and asked this question, the other day, in one of the stores. He told me to stop back or call customer service and activate international roaming. He said it was around $4/month. You can cancel it after you get back home, but you will still be charged the $4 for 1 month.

I have Sprint (I think most of their plans are the same now since the merger with Nextel) and asked this question, the other day, in one of the stores. He told me to stop back or call customer service and activate international roaming. He said it was around $4/month. You can cancel it after you get back home, but you will still be charged the $4 for 1 month.

we did that-- and got the special phones. once we left FLL we got nothing at all til we returned. Not even in any ports.

Your best bet is to wait til you get tot he port and get a phone card there.

Ask crew staff where the best place to purchase..they are the ones that use the phone cards the most.

We just returned from Coz and Progreso. We used Sprint phones while in both ports. $4 package on main account phone with 50 cent per minute calls. The other phone was $1 per minute. Good connections. Just remember to dial the country code...001...area code...phone number.

I have the Nextel i850 with a national plan and in Cancun last winter we could direct connect and call as needed. I assume anywhere in that region that has Sprint capability, your Nextel phones will work fine. I will be on the Valor in May in that area and I'll see if it works.

I have a Nextel i710 for my business and the only place I could get service was in Cozumel. Of course that was before Hurricane Wilma. We were in Costa Maya and Grand Cayman this past January and did not get signal there.

It did cost me $1 a minute in Cosumel. My son talked to his girlfriend for an hour and a half and got an additional $90 on my bill. I let him know that was not going to happen again!:D

My calls were from 1/21 - 2/11/06 so maybe the rates have changed. I know my per minute cost was nothing like that. I know a guy in Cancun who was just opening a new Nextel store there so maybe the merge with Sprint will help the rates from down there. I'll give it a test in May at each stop and let you know.

Archived