If you couldn't cruise but wanted the experience, what would you do?

cakebakr

The WHOLE family (grandma, grandpa and 3 sets of adults w/ wives) want to go on a cruise next January. Unfortunately we're planning baby #2 and I'll probably be more than 27 weeks pregnant by then (hopefully March/April due date).

SO....I'm looking for alternatives here in the States to present to the family.

What would you do if you couldn't cruise? Rent a 5 bedroom vacation house on the beach for a week? Club Med? Vegas? I just don't think there's anything similar that's landbased, unless we do an all-inclusive like Beaches (that's family friendly of courses) that's in Cancun or something. Even then it doesn't seem as much fun. I've cruised twice before and love the fancy dinners, etc.

I'm looking for any ideas!! Please help!

Walt Disney World, of course! All of my kids work there and we live only eight miles to WDW, but that's the first thing that comes to mind. Forget staying on property with the whole gang - rent a vacation home! You might need a couple homes, but could easily get them side-by-side.

The closest thing to a cruise in a land based vacation is an all-inclusive. There are restaurant, lounges, pools, etc. but in addition to that, like a cruise there is an activity staff that have: aerobics, pool games, evening entertainment, etc. like on a cruise. They also offer excursions from the hotel lobby, just like a cruise. Many of them are the same as those coming off a ship. I would stay away from Cancun, though, unless you are all 20 and looking for a party town. There are many nicer places with AI's than Cancun for adults.

Mrsfuzzmo

Spend a couple of weeks on Block Island. The ferry is only about an hours drive from where we live - ferry over - great seafood and two glorious weeks on the beach. We are going over Labor Day weekend for 4 nights and I always want to stay longer.

IMO an all inclusive is the next best thing in comparison. It usually does include most activities such as water sports. If you do a Club Med, then it even has club camps for the children with age appropriate activities (though many of the other AI have kids clubs as well). We've done Club Med twice and other all-inclusives about 6 times. They all are a great option when you have different ages and activity levels. It allows everyone to have fun at their own pace. Water sports, beaches, pools. All your meals are taken care of, and at most your drinks are all included as well. There are off-site trips you can book as well.

I would veto WDW quite honestly. If you are going to be 27 weeks pregnant, the last thing you want to be doing is dragging yourself all over the parks in the hot weather. I've been there a dozen times, and would suggest you wait until after you have the baby and even then wait until the newest one is at least 3. Additionally, do Grandma and Grandpa have the desire to walk all day at those parks?

I wouldn't just rent a house on a beach, because guess what still needs to be done! COOKING, CLEANING, MAKING BEDS!!! UGH, who wants to do that on vacation.

With an all-inclusive your meals are taken care of, room service and club activities for the kids. Some of the ones in Mexico are actually very nice and many have several dining venues on location so you get variety. You also don't need to worry about being nickel-and-dimes.

Since you asked for a comparison, I think the AI is the next best thing.

I'd go to an all-inclusive resort. It's the closest thing to a cruise vacation in that you can do things together as well as apart. There are sea and land excursions, night life, meals inclusive, etc. There are some great ones in places like Mexico, Hawaii, the Dominican Republic.

I wouldn't rent a big house together because if you're looking for something that's a cruise-alternative, you'll miss not having the night life and organized activities. And you'll have to think about cooking too!

I also don't agree with CateW about Block Island. Yes, it's a lovely and gorgeous place, but again, in your desire to have an almost cruise-like family vacation, Block Island will be too mellow with not enough activities.

Just my opinion.

We are leaving on the 28th of June and will be staying at the Portofino Hotel at Universal Studios for 2 nights. We are then going to the 5 bedroom house that I rented 2 miles from Disney and staying there for a week. There will be 7 of us from 10 to 64. After that well than me and DH are taking the crusie. I think we deserve it after that as we are the 55 and 64 year olds.lol

We are leaving on the 28th of June and will be staying at the Portofino Hotel at Universal Studios for 2 nights. We are then going to the 5 bedroom house that I rented 2 miles from Disney and staying there for a week. There will be 7 of us from 10 to 64. After that well than me and DH are taking the crusie. I think we deserve it after that as we are the 55 and 64 year olds.lol Whatever you do take care of yourself and make everyone wait on you hand and foot. That is what i intend on doing since I paid for this trip. HEE HEE

Enjoy!

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but since my sister-in-law just went into labor and had her first baby 9 weeks early, luckily she and the baby are both fine, I would recommend looking for something somewhat local for you that would still be fun for everyone. Making plans that you might have to cancel because of something unforeseen is never fun and with a pregnancy the risk of the unforseen goes way up. There's a reason the cruise lines and even some airlines don't allow travel after a certain number of weeks.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but since my sister-in-law just went into labor and had her first baby 9 weeks early, luckily she and the baby are both fine, I would recommend looking for something somewhat local for you that would still be fun for everyone. Making plans that you might have to cancel because of something unforeseen is never fun and with a pregnancy the risk of the unforseen goes way up. There's a reason the cruise lines and even some airlines don't allow travel after a certain number of weeks.

I have to agree with you. Having been pregnant 4 times you never know what could happen. I would definitely stay away from any of the all inclusives on the islands while pregnant. Would not want to have to go to a hospital out of the US in an emergency situation.

Also, anyone who is 27 weeks pregnant is likely not going to be screaming around at night in bars or clubs.

We have a similar situation. We are planning a get together for the whole family to celebrate my parents 55th anniversary. We went on a cruise together this year and my dad wanted to do something different. We started out renting a 5 bedroom beach house in Myrtle Beach but our week has ended up to be bike week with 350000 bikers there then too!:eek:. We might as well be in Grand Cayman!:D

SO now we are going to do the 5 bedroom chalet it Gatlinburg instead. Whatever you do , it's about family and not the location. Have a great trip!

Is it just me? Am I the only one who cringes at the thought of being with family in a house together for a week or more? It would be a recipe for disaster, with one person wanting to make the choice for everyone, or no one deciding anything because there is no agreement. Then, you have some people not pulling their weight with the housekeeping responsibilities. Another couple may not pitch in enough for the food in the fridge, or not cough up enough at the restaurant. We all have these people in our families and group of friends. It's fine to do an evening out, but a whole week or more? No way.

That's the beauty of going on a cruise, ya'll can come and go as you please, everyone has their own bathroom and you have service personnel taking care of you.

If I were you, I'd probably ask the group to go 2 months earlier than planned. Or, I'd send my regrets, hope everyone has a wonderful time, send me a postcard and we'll catch you on the next trip when baby is here.

Or, delay getting pregnant by a couple of months if you absolutely have to go on this trip.

Archived