Must read! This is a great weight loss aid!

cruisinqt

For all of you out there trying to keep up with your WW points or your daily calorie intake, or your daily carb or protein intake, this is for you. There is this neat little device called the Nutrition Assistant. It is a handheld electronic device that tracks how many calories, carbs, fat grams, etc. that you eat every day. There are over 800 popular foods permanently stored in it including the menus for Subway, McDonald's, and Pizza Hut. There is also room for you to add up to 100 of you own favorite foods to the list. A record of what you eat can be stored in a 31 day diary. You can calculate your average daily consumption and determine a meal total for frequently eaten meals or recipes. It is a lifesaver for me. It's only $29.95 including taxes and shipping and handling. You can order it at http://www.nutritionassistant.com. If you are like me and are bad about writing down everything you eat and keeping a total of how many calories you've consumed then this is for you. It not only tracks calories. It also tracks fat, saturated fat, protein, and carbohydrates. So those of you on a lowfat diet or protein diet will benefit from this too. I ordered it on a Thursday and received it the following Tuesday. I know there are other devices like this, it's not new. But how many of them are this cheap? I have seen many advertised on TV for over $100.00. This is an excellent price and it is easy to use. It's about six inches long and 4 inches wide. It is almost like a small palm pilot. I love it and use it several times a day. It helped me to be more conscious of how many calories I was really taking in.

Thanks for the link Cruisingqt! I hadn't seen those before but I an tell you that would be invaluable for my DH who eats out for lunch everyday!!! He's always calling me to ask which food choice would be better. Now he can keep track and look up the info himself (not that I don't like hearing from him!)

I'm going to order a couple today!

Lynn

I'm glad I could help. Losing weight isn't easy. We need all of the help we can get. I haven't had my nutrition assistant but about a month and I've already lost 5 pounds. I was excercising at Curves and even watching what I ate, but the weight wasn't coming off. I don't think I realized how many calories I was consuming every day. Once I got this and started logging in everything I ate, I was very surprised! I was really taking in a lot of calories. I was also getting extra calories by snacking while I made my kids their lunches and snacks. Every time I made them a sandwich and chips I had a couple handfuls of chips. It's a lot more calories than I thought. I was shocked when I entered it into my nutrition assistant.

And every time I got out cookies or treats for them, I had a bite or two. That ended up being a lot more calories than I thought it would be. Just a little snacking here and there throughout the day really made my calorie total soar. Now I know why I wasn't losing weight. And entering my food into the nutrition assistant only takes 2 or 3 minutes. It has really made a difference for me. I have a guy friend who has lost 70 pounds on the low carb type of diet. He just got the nutrition assistant and it's all he talks about. His only regret is that he didn't have it all those months that he was dieting and counting his carbs. It's much easier than looking up your calories or carbs in a book and writing it in a journal. I think it is a must have for all dieters for all types. I love mine. And I'm glad that I can help.

I've been using fitday.com to post what I eat, my weight etc. I really like it because posting what you put in your mouth really opens your eyes to how much calories/fat/carbs you consume on a daily basis! A real eye opener! By having to be accountable for everything I put in my mouth, it has helped me cut back on the bad foods, concentrate on the good foods and lose 20 pounds since mid-February!

The down side is that I need my computer to enter everything. Which is fine if I'm home but if I'm out I don't have my data base of nutrition and I have to rely on my brain. This thing is a good portable product to put in my purse or have my DH put in his work vehicle!

Lynn

I was in the same boat you were in Lynn. The only difference was I was using Weight Watchers online to log in my daily calorie intake and keep up with my point totals. Your sight was probably free where mine was not. I paid a monthly fee for my service. I am not complaining about the site. It did help me. They had lots of recipe ideas, a community board to chat on, and I logged in my food daily. But I ran into the same problem you did. I am on the go a lot and there is not always a computer around. I also have to contend with my husband who likes to sit at the computer a lot.

That's why this works so well for me. I can't begin to tell you how much easier this is. I only spend 2-3 minutes logging in my food into the nutrition assistant, then I'm on my way. Like you, I have found that keeping everything I eat in writing helps my dieting a lot. As I enter the food into the nutrition assistant, I see how many calories, fat, carbs, etc. that I have eaten for the day. It makes me slow down on my eating and be more careful. It has been a great weight loss aid. And I only paid a one time fee of $29.95 for this. I no longer have to pay those monthly fees to WW online. Oh, and way to go on that weight loss!! Just for fun, imagine 20 one pound tubs of butter (like you see at the supermarket) all stacked up in front of you. That's what you got rid of!! Way to go!!

For those of you that have bought the nutrition assistant, I have a helpful hint. As soon as I got it, I decided to put in a lot of my own personal favorite foods that I eat. It was easy, no problem. But later after eating one of my favorite meals, I couldn't get my favorite foods I had entered in to show up on the food list. How can you put that food item in your daily food diary if it doesn't show up on the food list? Well, after much reading I realized that all foods you enter in yourself have an * by the name of the food. So if I want to enter in my favoite sugar free Klondike bar, I just put in- *klondike. I hope this helps save some of you from a lot of reading and head scratching.

Archived