Ketchikan dock/pier fishing

goldstar

Hi my group (all females) have decided they want to fish in Ketchikan but they will not go on a fishing boat. Does anyone have info on dock or pier fishing? A contact where my mom can buy fish to ship home would be great. My son says he would like to a fly on the wall when this group goes fishing.. Will be a sight to see for sure.. Goldstar

If you are going in August/Sept. there is plenty of fishing from the marina. The venders constantly seem to change who rents the fishing poles and supplies the licenses. So I suggest you contact the visitor center for the current info for this season. http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

Here in Skagway there is an outfit which will rent you a pole and tell you where the fish are. The name of the place is called Fishful Thinkin, which also has the most succesful salmon numbers year after year. The funniest thing about that adventure happened when the guys went out and caught a couple of fish each and " the wife" caught more salmon than both of the men off the boat!?! She just found a stream full of fish, no big deal....:p Have fun! DD

Thanks dyeadave for the info we are going May 7th. We are in port in Skagway for 12 or 13 hrs. We may check out fishing there. Lolo I found on the internet Northern Lights Charters. www.ketchikanfishing.net. They offer shore fishing sounds like fun I think my mom is going to do that also. She loves salmon and wants it from Alaska. She said if she didn't catch any she would just buy it .. We can't wait to get there. Goldstar

dyeadave, any info you can give me I would greatly appreciate. I want my mom and her sisters to have the best Alaskan trip ever!!! And I will be there to catch it all on video!!! Beautiful does not describe what I have seen on the net in pictures.. Goldstar:)

There is something that I didn't include in that past post re. fish for sale. There is a place here in Skagway which sells the true local smoked fish. They usually have all five of the Pacific Salmon and even smoked halibut! They are true locals and have a very pure product.{No liquid smoke, China origin, etc.] It is called Dijon Delites and no that ain't no fancy French place, it just happened that the couples names were Dee and John and it sounded like a good idea at the time...........Anyway, even if you don't buy any fish, they have free samples of all of their products,[including local syrups etc.] and so I always offer my clients a stop there and then I have to "demonstrate" how to eat the salmon!?! That, of course, is on the days when my big sister is not working. She works for them, part time and she has a short sense of humor for her little brother!?! If you ask about me, at their shop, you may get a varied reference, depending on who is minding the store!?! DD

PS I am also the "Local Expert for Skagway",:eek: over on tripadvisor, if you haven't heard enough already!?!

:) Goldstar - My Mom and I went out fishing with Northern Lights Fishing last summer in July and LOVED it. Mom had a great time & so did I. We ended up sending about 30 lbs of salmon home afer a 5 hour trip.

JoAnn

OK, this sounds like a fun thing to do, but what do you do with the fish once you've caught it? Are there restaurants where they will cook the fish for your lunch? Do you set up your campfire and start cooking? Do you release them?

for us they took us right to a fish processing place that filleted them, flash froze & vaccuum sealed them. We arranged for them to ship to us via FedEx to arrive after we were home. It was expensive, but worth it to have our fish.

JoAnn

Due to security regulations you cannot fish off of the cruise ship dock while ships are in port. However you can fish off of the Creek Street when the season is open. That's in the intertidal zone and some people have ok

luck fishing there. There are also quite a few places that sell smoked salmon in Ketchikan.

• 5 years later...
dyeadave, any info you can give me I would greatly appreciate. I want my mom and her sisters to have the best Alaskan trip ever!!! And I will be there to catch it all on video!!! Beautiful does not describe what I have seen on the net in pictures.. Goldstar:)

Do a search for the respective visitor's bureaus in each of your port stops and request a FREE Visitor's Guide. The guides have tons of info, including web site addresses, email contacts, phone numbers and more. A few of the bureaus also have guides you can download, but I prefer the "print" copy. Once you fill out the on-line form, you'll usually get it in the mail within a few days.

Can you bring fish back on the ship you have bought on shore?

I think you better think this through.

If you are talking about fresh fish, what are you going to do with it? Where are you going to keep it? What will you do with it once the ship docks?

OK, this sounds like a fun thing to do, but what do you do with the fish once you've caught it? Are there restaurants where they will cook the fish for your lunch? Do you set up your campfire and start cooking? Do you release them?

I suspect that if you catch pinks and/or chums, restaurants won't want them and locals probably won't want them either either. Catch and release makes the only sense.

Archived