Questions for mkaplan

Weagle

Mike,

My wife and I are considering doing something similar to what you did with your family. We're taking a cruise this September to Alaska and taking a 3 day inland package (Denali, Mt. McKinley, and Anchorage) with Princess to see more on land. This will be a first for both of us. Neither of us have taken a cruise, nor visited Alaska before, but I've always felt a tugging at my heart to visit or move there.

We are considering moving int he next 2-3 years. We'd like to move before our kids start school. We have a 2 and a 3 year old. We liked your idea of visiting during the winter to see how good/bad it really is and if my wife can handle it. She's a Colorado native and while they get plenty of snow, it really doesn't get that cold in the Denver area. I grew up in Wisconsin and the snow and cold don't bother me at all.

That brings me to a couple questions, if you don't mind.

1) How did you and your family adapt to the cold/winters?

2) How bad or frequently do you feel any earthquakes? Do they concern you at all up there?

3) Permafrost, does it cause any building concerns in the Anchorage area, or is that North of there?

4) How do you recommend visiting in the winter? Is it possible to drive up there all year, or will we need to fly in?

5) How does the long/short days affect your family?

6) Any concerns about bear or other animals in the city?

7) From what I've read, you've been there for about a year...what's the best/worst things that have happened there in that year?

Anyone else that lives up there feel free to answer as well. I just happened to run across Mike's experience in some of his previous posts.

Thanks so much for any answers.

I'll just add, I've made 2 trips to Alaska in winter, but March. :) I ran into 25 below temps. :) But on my scale, these two trips were superior to all the others. Both times I spent 2 weeks and used a rental car. All roads "open", if that is your access question??

But only as a suggestion- your 3 day add on is not enough time and especially on a cruisetour- all time in transit. I strongly suggest you be sure you are on a Tundra Wilderness tour in Denali Park, the Natural History is a complete waste of time, since with a tour this short- Denali Park is the highlight.

I know our 3 day isn't enough. My wife and I were thinking of making another trip up in the winter months December '07/January '08 timeframe. I'd prefer to drive all the way there if possible. That's what I was wondering about road closures....for the drive there from the lower states.

I called about switching the natural history tour for the tundra wilderness, but they said they didn't have any more slots for the season. Maybe next trip...

Forgot to mention that the -25 F doesn't scare me either. Growing up in Wisconsin I've seen -40 F several times with -80 windchills. You just add more layers and limit your exposure. It sure takes your breathe away if you're not prepared for it though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You don't have to "drive" all the way up; you can use the Marine System for part of the trip............actually, that's what it was first set up for......

before "do-able" roads!

It's a fun way to go...............we drove up to Prince Rupert, then used the Marine System, but drove all the way home.....................long way, but different scenery.

Too bad you will have so little time on land...........:(

Archived