Dream Itinerary - Fall 2006?

nerd-guy

Hi to all, I am getting conflicting information from NCL about just where the Dream is going this coming Fall. Lattitudes' phone line says yes to Roatan and no Progresso. The regular customer service line says yes to Progresso and no to Roatan. The web site shows both schedules ?? The web shore trips show Roatan. Also, the posted port time schedule shows Progresso, Coz, Belize City, and a strange 1 hour stop at Playa del Carmen.

Any ideas on how to get a FOR CERTAIN schedule on this trip?

Thanks, NG

San Antonio

Well, you're right, it will be a surprise. I guess NCL can revise it up until the last day! Check the roll calls - there are a few threads for Fall 2006 for the Dream. I am geared up already.

Good cruising, N-G

This is only my opinion, but if I was a betting person, I'd bet it's not going to be Roatan. RCCL has purchased the pier, or rights to the pier, or something to do with the pier in Roatan (forget exactly what the article said). While they're stating that it will continue to be open to all lines, I'd guess that the port fees will be going up significantly, along with the RCCL ships having first docking rights, and bet it gets removed from the majority of the NCL itineraries.

Does it really matter? ;)

You're on a ship for a week visiting the Western Caribbean. :)

Aztec ruins, sandy beaches, coral formations, cave tubing tours, fly line tours, snorkling and suba tours, and best of all - discount jewerly stores. :rolleyes:

Who cares which ports you go to, as long as you get to do everything. :D

Hey Nerd-Guy.. which sailing are you planning on doing? there is a group of us other Texans doing the 11/25 sailing....maybe you want to join us?:D

I see you are from San Antonio...well, I am just 5 miles down I-37 from you.:)

till we all sail again.....jus' me....jim...the velvet teddy bear :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Also, the posted port time schedule shows Progresso, Coz, Belize City, and a strange 1 hour stop at Playa del Carmen.

I've been trying to figure out this 1hr stop myself. Seems like a waste of time that could be spent at Cozumel. What do you do for an hour??? If this is what they replaced Roatan with, then I am very disappointed!

Thus spake Velvet Teddy Bear:

Hey Nerd-Guy.. which sailing are you planning on doing? there is a group of us other Texans doing the 11/25 sailing....maybe you want to join us?

I see you are from San Antonio...well, I am just 5 miles down I-37 from you.

Hi VTB, We are already on the Oct 14th Dream and will be in Orlando with our kids during Thanksgiving. Thanks for the invite. BTW, you need to check your odometer. :-)

Good Cruising, N-G

I've been trying to figure out this 1hr stop myself. Seems like a waste of time that could be spent at Cozumel. What do you do for an hour??? If this is what they replaced Roatan with, then I am very disappointed!

Next year's itinerary includes Progresso, Cozumel, Belize City, and a strange 1 hour stop at Playa del Carmen. Last year's itinerary was Cancun, Cozumel, Belize City, and Roatan. Two ports were changed.

The Sun's pre-hurricane itinerary last year was Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan, and the same weird one hour stop in Playa del Carmen.

Therefore, Progresso replaces Roatan, and Playa del Carmen actually replaces Cancun.

The one hour stop in Playa is for dropping off passengers doing a mainland Mexico tour. It actually saves approximately an hour long ferry ride. If they didn't stop in Playa, all the passengers taking a mainland Mexico tour are looking at riding the ferries for approximately two hours.

Also, the posted port time schedule shows Progresso, Coz, Belize City, and a strange 1 hour stop at Playa del Carmen.

I've seen the 1 hr stop at Playa on other cruise lines itineries as well. With them it's intended as a drop off for passengers who want to take excursions there (such as Tulum) and then they can take a ferry boat over to Coz to catch back up with their cruise later that day. Actually it makes a lot of sense if that's what NCL is doing as well.

jmo

-Monte

Here's th eDream itinerary for next year's 7-Day Texaribbean on the following dates 2006: Oct 7, 14, 21, 28; Nov 4, 11, 18, 25; Dec 2, 9, 16, 23, 30

2007: Jan 6, 13, 20, 27; Feb 3, 10, 17, 24; Mar 3, 10, 17, 24, 31; Apr 7

Sat Houston, Texas 4:00pm

Sun At sea

Mon Progreso, Mexico 8:00am 4:00pm

Tue Playa Del Carmen (Calica), Mexico 8:00am 9:00am

Cozumel, Mexico 10:30am 6:00pm

Wed Belize City, Belize 8:00am 6:00pm

Thu At sea

Fri At sea

Sat Houston, Texas 8:00am

The only port it get get to as a fourth port is Cancun, Mexico or Pureto Costa Maya on Thursday. Belize City to Houston is 964 miles. The Dream has 58 hours of elapse time between the two cities. Some math: 964 miles /58 hours = 16.62 miles/hour, about 14.5 knots. Since the Dream is capable of a speed up to 20 knots, it could travel that distance in (964 miles/23 miles/hour = 41.91 hours. So there's a maximum of 16 hours available for a port call.

Belize City to Pureto Casa Maya is approximately 100 miles. You'll be arriving there from Belize City in 5 to 6 hours, around 11pm to midnight.

Before sunrise, you'll lose at least another 7 to 8 hours to darkness. Let's just say it doesn't fit into the Dream's schedule.

Belize City to Cancun is 269 miles. Cancun works better, you'll be arriving there 15.5 hours after departing Belize City (at 20 knots), or 20 hours (at 15 knots). That would be an arrival time between 9:30am to 2:00 pm.

With the requirment ot use boats to tender ashore and back, you'll have a few hours on the town and the beach, but wouldn't be able to go far to see any Mayan ruins. You might as well stay on the ship.

The detour to Progresso makes Roatan too far away from Houston to get back on time. Roatan to Houston is 1271 miles. At 20 knots, 1271/23 = 55.26 hours. Just too far now because the Dream consumes a day in Progresso.

So, you're stuck with just three ports next year on the Dream.

Archived