confused about tipping

momma#2

It only gets "tacked on in the end" if you choose it to be done that way. I personally never choose it to be done that way, so I do actually hand people money. If you don't hand them actual cash, you will get a receipt that you put in the envelope so that you CAN hand the waiter/waitress, cabin steward, etc. something. I often also give more than the required amount, so even if I was giving them the receipt showing that I paid them, there would probably be some cash in the envelope for the cabin steward and the waiter.

The tipping is handled differently by each cruise line. When we were on Rhapsody of the seas we were handed envelopes along with info. on how much each employee should be tipped. When we were on the Conquest, the tipping was automatically put on our account, but you could take if off if you had really bad service. We only did this once for a specific person, the Maitre' de who was of no help and actually rude on one occasion.

One thing to keep in mind though is that many of these people that get tipped rely mostly on these tips as their source of income, similar to a waitress. Except their situation is worse, if a waitress misses out on one tip, the 4 or 5 dollars won't kill her. But if a cabin steward is stiffed on his weeks worth of tips amounting to over a hundred dollars, it can sorely hurt his finances. It's something to think about anyways.;)

I was on Princess in '05 and had the tips put on my account. I did not get anything to give to the staff. Coming up I have booked with Carnival and I've already paid for the tips, this is good seeing that they won't be on my s&s account.

When on Disney I paid the tips in cash on the last night. Dining room service sucked. Example, tablemate ordered 4 appitizers, she brought all 4 at the same time, how stupid. Also myself playing appitizer checkers on the table and forgotten drinks etc. I'm a chef so I know how it's supposed to be. And yes I complained to the head waiter to na avail. So they didn't get the "recomended" amount. Well we had the same servers the next day for breakfast and no word of a lie, she dropped my breakfast on the table in front of me. It was at this point I realized I shouldn't have tipped her at all.

Never tip the "Head waiter", they don't do anything. Oh they'll come over to the table and talk to you a bit but they don't do the service.

When we sailed on the Carnival Spirit in January 06, they added the tips to our Sign & Sail bill.

NOTE: If you feel the amount should be less or more, you can talk to the pursor's desk and ask it be adjusted. My sister had her 3 year old with us, so they did some tip adjusting thru the pursor and also hand delivered a tip to the Camp Carnival staff personally.

It was nice to have the tips on our sign & sail bill, then we didn't have to worry about having cash with us for them.

I was on RCCL and we just added the tips to our Onboard account as soon as we arrived onboard. On the last night of the ship we received vouchers and envelopes to give to each individual. We added extra to our stateroom attendants envelope because we found he went above and beyond.

thanks for all the advice, we are going 4 days RC w 2 w 2 kids (3 and 7)..they will not be eating w us in formal dining room.....

as of now it is set up to be on our bill on last day...looks like thats it then??? so really it is not necessary to keep 1's and such since I pay it at the end...thanks again!

as of now it is set up to be on our bill on last day...looks like thats it then??? so really it is not necessary to keep 1's and such since I pay it at the end...thanks again!

No, that's not true. You'll need plenty of 1's and such. Not necessarily for the cruise tips, itself, but for baggage handlers in the airport and at the ship's port. You'll need them to tip room service if you so desire, you'll need them for all sorts of things that will crop up!:rolleyes:

I was on Princess in '05 and had the tips put on my account. I did not get anything to give to the staff. Coming up I have booked with Carnival and I've already paid for the tips, this is good seeing that they won't be on my s&s account.

When on Disney I paid the tips in cash on the last night. Dining room service sucked. Example, tablemate ordered 4 appitizers, she brought all 4 at the same time, how stupid. Also myself playing appitizer checkers on the table and forgotten drinks etc. I'm a chef so I know how it's supposed to be. And yes I complained to the head waiter to na avail. So they didn't get the "recomended" amount. Well we had the same servers the next day for breakfast and no word of a lie, she dropped my breakfast on the table in front of me. It was at this point I realized I shouldn't have tipped her at all.

Never tip the "Head waiter", they don't do anything. Oh they'll come over to the table and talk to you a bit but they don't do the service.

Interesting comments. I had always thought that the service was "timed" on a cruise ship, very different from a land based restaurant. That they would bring all the appetizers at the same time makes sense to me. I've not visited a cruise ship kitchen in person, but I have seen TV programs showing them. The kitchen re-adjusts for each course, it's not an ongoing, cook to order restaurant. More likely the same as banquet service. To hold the appetizers, the server probably would have had to hold them in the service island, right in everyone elses way.

I worked in a large hotel for several years in the banquet department and was in constant communication with our kitchen, banquet staff and restaurant (we would book parties in there, too). Your comment that the head waiter does nothing surprises me. My experience with them is that they taught the servers exactly what needed to be done, assisting them if needed. Service would be non existant and shoddy if there were no head waiters or Maitre d' in the room.

You are right about the bar service in ships restaurants, though. Many times we don't get asked for a drink order until we have already been served our first course. We've just made it our habit to go to the cocktail lounge before we enter the dining room.

I have no idea why the server dropped your plate in front of you. It could have been an honest mistake, it could have been a reaction to your treatment of her.

.......... When we were on the Conquest, the tipping was automatically put on our account, but you could take if off if you had really bad service. We only did this once for a specific person, the Maitre' de who was of no help and actually rude on one occasion.

The Maitre d' is not included in the automatic tips on Carnival ships. An envelope is provided in the cabin on the last evening specifically IF you choose to tip the Maitre d'.

The only folks on the auto tips are cabin steward, dining room waiter, and Lido dining personnel.

.........Coming up I have booked with Carnival and I've already paid for the tips, this is good seeing that they won't be on my s&s account.

:) This is a good point to bring up to those who aren't aware this can be done.

It's called "pre-tipping", and is paid when you pay for your cruise, so yes, no tips will show up on your Sail & Sign account. Otherwise, the automatic tips will be the first entry on your account.

Interesting comments. I had always thought that the service was "timed" on a cruise ship, very different from a land based restaurant. That they would bring all the appetizers at the same time makes sense to me. I've not visited a cruise ship kitchen in person, but I have seen TV programs showing them. The kitchen re-adjusts for each course, it's not an ongoing, cook to order restaurant. More likely the same as banquet service. To hold the appetizers, the server probably would have had to hold them in the service island, right in everyone elses way.

I worked in a large hotel for several years in the banquet department and was in constant communication with our kitchen, banquet staff and restaurant (we would book parties in there, too). Your comment that the head waiter does nothing surprises me. My experience with them is that they taught the servers exactly what needed to be done, assisting them if needed. Service would be non existant and shoddy if there were no head waiters or Maitre d' in the room.

While I have not been in the kitchen on a ship, nor do i proclaim to know for sure, I think this may not be the case. While many tables may be getting their appetizer at the same time, another slew of tables may be getting their dinners and yet more may be getting their deserts. This past thanksgiving we had two tables and even within our own two tables we weren't necessarily getting our dinners or deserts at the same time. That said, I think they could have served the lady her 4 appetizers at a minimum of two and two.

Just my 2 cents!

smrtypants, We can only know what our own experiences are, or if we have seen the service in action. All I know is what I learned while working banquets (I did not serve) and watching the TV shows. A lot of times, the food is prepared and held in steam ovens, the servers picking up what they need at the time. That way, they can serve two table at two different times. If you do have to serve out of order, it takes away from the next course.

Watching a dinner service on a ship, you really do see timing. Which is why it is important to get to the dining room within a reasonable time frame. I'm sure it makes it hard on the servers for people to show up a half hour after the appointed time. It's a lot different than a land based, individually order dinner restaurant. It's more like banquet service than a restaurant.

Next time you are on a cruise, pay attention to the choreography of the servers. While not impossible, it does take away from the service to have to do "extra" service for individual diners. If everyone is prompt, it makes service smoother for everyone. I'm always impressed with the staff, how so many of them are so gracious even when the cruise pax make their job so much harder to do.

Also, pay attention to the working space they have in their service stations, it's tight, not a lot of wiggle room for having extra plates waiting around.

Happy, assuming you're right about things being held in steam ovens, then again, I see no reason for the appetizers to have been served maybe 2 and a few minutes later 2 more.

Hey we're all entitled to our opinion, it's what makes the world an interesting place and people interesting. Getting feedback from the people here on cruisecritic (good and bad) is the reason all of us come here. You could very well be right on all counts. I've cater waitressed and regular waitressed, but nothing like a small cruise ship with confined quarters and a very small period of time to serve all the courses. My cater waitressing is limited to 4 hour weddings and bar mitzvahs. I'm not trying to be argumentative. :)

smrtypants, I'm sorry if you thought I was arguing, I don't care to go there on these boards. I suppose I get a little defensive when people (not you :) ) start referring to the servers doing something stupid. Especially when it doesn't sound stupid to me at all.

I tend to hold the people who serve me on a cruise ship in pretty high esteem, I know I couldn't do their job and be as pleasant as they are.

Archived