Just off Mariner 4/9-4/16

kidrn

We just got back yesterday and had a wonderful time. You may recall from my previous posts that we upgraded to a handicappped accesssible Junior Suite stateroom and interior on deck 10.We only did this when the rooms were made available to the public 3 weeks prior to sailing so please no flames. We would never look to book one just happened. I will try to post pictures later as they are difficult to find. We arrived at the pier at 10:30 AND WERE ONE OF THE FIRST 100 or so to board @ 11:15. Went straight to chops and made reservation for wednesday at 7 as this was caribbean night and the menu did not look as hot. We cruised on Disney about a year ago and we liked the mariner ship better. It is absolutely gorgeous. We had so much fun exploring the ship before it was crowded. That is the only negative. Too many kids and not enough parental supervision. There were Almost 1500 kids to the 3100 passengers on the ship. We had absolutely wonderful service in every area from customer service desk,bar tenders,cabin stewards,waiters,etc. Our first at sea day was a bit overcast and cool and the pool was really crowded. The deck patrol did nothing to remove the outrageous number of chairs being reserved. I really had to chuckle almost outloud when 2 irate people complained that weather was bad and were we going to just chase the storm all week? Well that one kept me laughing all week especially since after the first 2 days we had near perfect weather. Labadee was gorgeous and the pictures do not do it justice. My kids loved the water park. My 6 year old was totally mesmerized by the sleeping dragon!! The Labadoozies did the trick especially when it poured rain and we had to wait to tender to the ship. Ocho Rios was beautiful. We wnt with Phil Lafayette and this is one of the kindest human beings I have ever met. He is extremely articulate and intelligent. His sincere love for his country is so evident. He bends over backwards to ensure you leave with some knowledge of Jamaica and a positive image. We all loved Dunn's falls and white river tubing. My six year old enjoyed it as well and I was the only one that slipped just once. we had great guides. Dunns falls water park only takes cash as Phil puts it "cash is king" but he does not want to deter customers so he will cash your travellers checks. It takes 45 days for them to clear the bank there! You must walk through the vendors but the only pressure i felt to buy anyhing was the dvd for 40 bucks of our trip up the falls! the road conditions are terrible which is another reason to go with Phil,he gets you in and out of the park before it gets crowded. He insisted on taking us to a jerk chicken place which we all enjoyed. We did have a brief trip to Margaritaville which was a blast. Another plus for jamaica everything close to the pier and no tendering. I will send in more later. Please ask questions. kidrn

Sounds like you had a great time! We are getting ready to board the Mariner on the 23rd, also a western route. You say Caribbean night was that Weds.? What nights were formal nights? How was Chops? We are also booked with Phil, I hear he is great! Also, did you notice if the upper decks around the pool was very crowded? I am hoping that most of the "spring breakers" are back to school by the time we go! Again, thanks for the info & glad you had a nice time!:) Jaxson

Formal nights were mon and thursday. lobster night was friday. Chops was magnificent I just cannot say enough wonderful things about Phil. He is just a unique individual. Just do not forget your water shoes underwater camera and cash! Yes all of the pool chairs were crowded. Lots of towels layed on them to reserve but I saw several people removing them or sliding them over. I do not think it will be a problem by the time you go.

Hi butterfly2, I do have 2 children, but they won't be with us, they are 22 & 24 yrs old;) & refuse to fly. We are sailing with 3 other good friends of ours. You should join us over at the roll call for this sailing. There might be others there that have younger children.I have only gotten to meet a few others , We joined in late as we were supposed to be sailing on the Star Princess,but it was cancelled and we were able to rebook on the Mariner at the last minute.Hop over there and say hello! Jaxson:)

Hi,

Was wondering how fast you were able to get off the ship when you docked back at Port Canaveral. We have a 12:30 flight; so I feel we might be alittle rushed???? Also, what did you do in Cozumel. Did you do any excursions in Labadee? Does everything in Labadee have to go throught RCCL since they own it? Or can you wait until you get there and then decide once on the beach if you want to rent jet skis or parasail? Thank, me and my family will be on the Mariner in June and can't wait!!

I am happy to answer any and all questions. First we went toLabadee and did the slide,water park, and parasailing. Parasailing is probably cheaper other places. It was 55.00 in cozumel The jet ski excursion in Labadee seems popular. You must book through cruise line for labadee but you can wait to get on board or do it through RCCL ahead once your final payment is sent in. The earlier you get started in labadee the better. Now for Cozumel we went to paradise beach and had a fabulous time. You pay 8 bucks and can use the water toys which consist of one icerbeg and few water rafts and trampoline. They also now offer an excursion on a catamaran which takes you to 2 reefs for snorkeling. The reefs are gorgeous but not too many fish The food and margaritas at paradise beach were awesome. Only 3 ships in cozumel and the tendering was super easy but the day before they said 6 ships in port and it was a disaster.Paradise beach by far is the nicest one up and running since the hurricanes. They have their own website i think it is just paradise beach.com. You can request to be in one of the first groups to disembark. Customs was pretty easy and so was getting the luggage since they do it color coded. We were probably 5th or 6th group to be called and wer ein our car pulling out of the terminal at 9:45. Hope this helps and please fire away with questions. This site was indispesable to our wonderful time. mary

we rented a jeep and drove over to rum Point. Got there early and had a wonderful time. It is just too beautifu. Not any snorkeling really but jusy a vry nice beach that was a manageable drive. alot of people do the nativeway tour because it stops at rum point after snorkeling and the sting ray thing. We opted to just hng on the beach. There were six ships in port that day but tendering was not a problem.:)

butterfly2

We are also on the April 23 cruise! We are with a family group of about 25 and there will be kids ages 8-16. My almost 11 yr. old son included. :) I don't think there will be a ton of kids, since spring and Easter break are pretty much over.

we rented a jeep and drove over to rum Point. Got there early and had a wonderful time. It is just too beautifu. Not any snorkeling really but jusy a vry nice beach that was a manageable drive. alot of people do the nativeway tour because it stops at rum point after snorkeling and the sting ray thing. We opted to just hng on the beach. There were six ships in port that day but tendering was not a problem.:)

To kidrn,

Did you drive the jeep or did your husband?????

Dan and Miguel

• 1 month later...

Archived