Internet wi-fi and cell phone svce on Voyager

mirocater

I read that as of January 06 all ships have wi-fi hot spots as well as cell phone service. I am sailing on Voyager across the pond and onward to Monte Carlo and my bosses tell me that the world will come to an end if I do not stay in touch during Atlantic crossing.

Can anyone tell me if cell phones indeed work on the ship and what the costs are for phone and wi-fi connection? Presumably I get internet and some ship telephone time free (Silver Society thing), but would that apply to wi-fi as well? (It would be SO much more convenient if I had all my mail in one place and be able to use my cell phone …)

Thanks in advance,

Miro

I'm boarding the Mariner tomorrow (Tuesday) and inquired about the same thing.

I have gold status and understand that all Internet service, wireless included, is 100% free and included, unlimited.

Telephone service is included for a couple hours from your cabin.

The fellow I spoke to at H.O. who is responsible for all communications on the ships indicated that cel service would be available on this cruise and rates depended on your carrier. Their setup is with Cingular (which happens to be my carrier) and rates are approximately $1.25 - $1.50 per minute total.

If you don't have included Internet, the rates as of Dec when I was on the Mariner were $25 for 100 minutes. I hear that they are also offering $50 for 250 minutes currently.

Hope this helps.

It certainly does ronsex - thank you. I can only hope that T-Mobile and Cingular cooperate. I have 4-band phone that (so far) worked (on land) just about everywhere (except during Panama crossing) while people with Cingular were happily phoning away. Neither T-Mobile nor Cingular can tell if they cooperate on Rad... ops Regent.

By now you are on the ship :) Enjoy!

Thank you again

Our cingular phone did not work at sea on the Mariner in March (it did work on land) but I did not know you had to sign up for internet service to make it work. We didn't do that.

Thank you all!

I am confused about this internet service signup merryecho. Can you explain it? As I am nearing the boarding time on 28th, the work seems to be piling up on me, and it is now critical (or so my bosses say ;) ) that I stay in touch. I am even looking at this satellite phone bit...

Mirocater...

I am currently on the Mariner and both the Internet service and cel phone service work perfectly.

I will investigate the cel service for you and let you know about access for your provider.

Our cingular phone did not work at sea on the Mariner in March (it did work on land) but I did not know you had to sign up for internet service to make it work. We didn't do that.

Hmmm,

No need to sign up for Internet service to get cel service. I boarded the Mariner yesterday and used my Cingular cel this morning prior to setting up my internet account.

I hear that they just recently completed the cel service so maybe it was not fully available when you were on the ship.

I can tell you that I hear lots of buzz from many passengers that they are very pleased to be able to use their cel phones.

Thanx a million ronsex!

I called Regent and they were not much help...

Perhaps we need to know the frequencies of their re-transmission. My phone is capable of 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz. (I think 950MHz as well, but am not sure). If your phone works, Cingular may have just gotten another customer ;)

Thank you again, and hope you enjoy your trip.

Miro

I got to the bottom of this:

All Regent ships use Cingular 1900MHz (GMS – USA) system. The cost is $4.99 /minute. Ouch – someone is making a lot of money here…

Satellite phone is near $1.50 / min for outgoing calls, free incoming.

Archived