Rental Car from Port of Miami to FLL

DH and I will be arriving in Miami early in the morning next November after a transatlantic cruise on the Brilliance. Our flight out of FLL isn't until late afternoon. I've been thinking about renting a car at the port and doing a little sightseeing and then turning the car in at FLL.

Has anyone ever done this? There's another thread about dropping a car off at the port and having to do so at a nearby hotel. Is that where we'd need to pick up a car as well?

Thanks for any advice.

I did it twice in past 6 months. Catch the rental car shuttle (I used Alamo) right at the pier, get on with all your luggage, and pick up your car at the airport (MIA). Then drive around all day and drop off at FLL. Lots more info on the Hotels board. Go back 10 pages at least.

Call the rental car company to confirm shuttle is operating on day you arrive.

I personally have not had to do this but would be the best thing for you to rent a car and do a bit of sightseeing in Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

You would be able to go to South Beach which is around the corner from the port. if you want to shop you could go to Sawgrass Mills Mall in Fort Lauderdale or just had toward the Fort Lauderdale Beach for some more R and R. The car rental returns are right in the middle of FLL airport. Just drop the car off and catch the flight out.

We've done the reverse of that -- flown into FLL, rented from Dollar (cheapest for a van === last month it was 51.00 for one day) and returned it to the Dollar lot at Miami's airport. They took us to the pier. So I'm sure it would the other way around. Hope your cruise is wonderful and you enjoy FL.

Thanks to everyone who's posted. I had thought my idea was workable, and now I know it is. What I didn't know was that we'd have to take a rental car shuttle over to MIA. I had hoped there would be a rental location at the port itself.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'm off on a land trip to Scotland in two weeks. When I return I'll start checking with car rental companies.

Archived