Whisper 3/28 - Reply from Silversea

zacho46

If you're a Venetian Society member, you have to specifically ask if that fare is available when you inquire about a possible reservation 30 days or less before sailing.

As to the different mood I am speaking about, it has more to do with external surroundings, demographics, the surprise factor, etc. than it does with the shipboard experience.

When you sail to the Caribbean, chances are you will park right next to one of the megaships offering the exact same shore excursions and the exact same activities, only Silversea will probably limit the number of people on the bus, provide free bottled water and sodas, etc., and try to make it a little more upscale.

When you're far away from home immersed in surroundings completely different from your own, there is a much greater sense of adventure, excitement, romanticism, etc.

All I was trying to say was that I think one can better take advantage of the Silversea experience by sailing the line's faraway itineraries. That's what works for us, at least, and we save the Caribbean for the mega ships -- which is what also works for us.

As to the different feeling we have inside of us when sailing Silversea around the globe -- it's a bit hard to explain, although fellow Silversea passengers will know exactly what I mean.

It would be like the different feeling one gets when strolling along the beach in Bali, versus walking up and down Ft. Lauderdale beach.

Or the difference and excitement one feels while waiting inside a private air terminal in Mumbai, receiving a lecture from a renowned professor of history while waiting to board a chartered plane to go on your private excursion to the Taj Mahal, as opposed to walking off a cruise ship in the Caribbean to go climb Dunns River Falls.

When lines like Silversea came along (in all due respect, I guess Seabourn and Crystal did it first and then Silversea followed), they brought the "destination", "adventure" and "touring" aspects back into cruising, as these aspects had been sorely missing in the 1970's and 1980's.

In our opinion, and please do not flame me for saying this because it is just our opinion, the Caribbean (even the smaller islands because they are changing so rapidly) is no longer the destination it once was, but rather it has turned into a cruise passenger amusement park.

Every now and then my wife and I do crave that cruise passenger amusement park feeling, and that is when we sail the mass market lines. Our personal preference, which may be different from other people's likes and dislikes, is to save the excitement of Silversea for the more destination-oriented trips.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I enjoy the above thread. I wrote an extensive review of the cruise with digressions on small ship cruising in general and independent port excursions. I tried three times to post it on CC but it (and a thread reference to it) never appeared. Those who were on the cruise might enjoy reading the full version at *********.com (the ********.com version is Bowdlerized).

Happy travels.

Don't get me busted, but I just found a free internet wifi site from my cabin while in St. Kitts. Trip has been great! There were a few minor hickups, but no more than on previous RSSC cruises.

My only complaint is all the children on board due to spring break. Interesting note: most of the families with kids were from Mexico City. They were pretty quiet the first few days --- then they started getting bored. Oh well -- no one to blame on that one.

I also wish that they would not print that the caviar on board was from the Mississippi River --- the word DOMESTIC would be have been just fine :)

BTW, it wasn't bad --- and tasted better than advertized.

Met some great CC members on board. We were all thrilled that the problems that those of you who were on the 3/28 sailing experienced did not happen to us!

Got to pack now. Tonight's the last night. I'll be back on the board this weekend.

Jim

I think the comment WAS ill-advised and agree with you and perfectly understand why you conclude what you did. I think I'd just add that it is a shame that you have decided not to give it a second chance - although perfectly understand why. In mitigation the problem handling with SS from your first hand account seems to have improved and they were at least grown up enough to admit that this was not up to their normal standard. This is unusual and good and I think that's a great sign. No business that relies on human effort is ever going to be great 100% of the time however hard they try to be. This was very clearly a duff cruise - but as others have said - it's unlikely the same will happen again.

I'm in a similar situation re time pressures etc to you and if I were you and if I could bring myself to give SS a second chance, I'd send Albert Peters and Frank Sansome a note before my next cruise asking them to use their office to ensure we have a perfect cruise next time and that you will e-mail them again to report back. I think you'd find that the next cruise would go very well, but perfectly understand why you feel bitten and unwilling to try again.

Jeff

Thank you, but I must say I wasn't on the cruise. I have been reading these boards because my SO and I have been looking into possibly trying SS in the future. I don't necessarily give weight to when only one person complains...after all, we've all met that one person who never seems satisfied. But, when more then a handful do, I sit up and take notice.

I'm happy to hear it was an aberration and because the next 4 day cruise was wonderful, and because the majority of folks here have nothing but wonderful things to say about SS, we probably will sometime in the future book with them.

Factoring in the all-inclusive and no-tipping nature of Silversea and the quality of the food, etc., that price would be a steal and would even be far cheaper than any mass market cruise line out there.

Whether or not your $1,000 discount would apply to those special fares would be another matter for you to take up with Silversea, but even without the discount, they are a true steal.

Gunther and Uta

I still think you're missing the point of the dissatisfied cruisers. you are trying to explain a upscale cruise experience, assuming these cruisers are new to the luxury experience. As I recall, all have cruised on the other some or all of the other upscale lines. The services you speak of are not something new to them. What was new to them was the total lack of DECENT service on that one cruise.

As for discounted fares, the other luxury lines also give you discounts if you've cruised with them before.

ATA, again - I agree with your comments and appreciate them. I'll close by addressing the question 'What did I enjoy from the Silversea experience?'

I have told several of my friends the Whisper is one of the most beautiful ships I've even sailed. The cabins are perfect and I would be happy to have their bathroom in my own master bedroom. The common areas aboard the ship were very well maintained and quite comfortable.

I enjoyed Silversea's all-inclusive policy along with very good food. Signatures provided outstanding wines and the ports on our voyage (I like the Caribbean in the winter) were terrific. Best of all, I enjoyed time with my fiancee and she makes every experience a pleasure.

You have my comments about service - and that's the reason I started both of my threads.

Again, for those who provided suggestions (try a longer cruise), helpful feedback (take advantage of a more exotic itinerary) and other comments (check out the Venetian savings program), I thank you. For those who challenged opinions of those aboard the 3/28 cruise and - most of all - those who suggested the passengers warranted the deficient service - I suggest you treat all future posters the way you would like to be treated. This is a public board designed for the opinions and reviews of all... not just for follks looking to validate their own personal thoughts.

and what exactly is the source because again your comments above are rude. You negate others comments because it doesn't fit YOUR expectations.

Well understand, the cruise on 3/28 didn't fit those who sailed on it's expectations. Why is so hard for you to understand? It wasn't just blackbird. It was everyone who was on that cruise who posted here. Not one post said they got good service.

How many others who didn't post here felt the same way? Obviously alot if Zach got a letter from the President stating that he was aware of the service problems and was taking steps to correct it!

All are experienced cruisers on luxury lines and from my experience with the many of them on another cruise forum, I know they are not complainers, but will go out of their way to give positive feedback and look at things as half full. Because they are that way, I am more inclined to believe them when they say it was bad, and back it up with what went wrong.

I am more inclined to listen to them, then someone who has their blinders on. Like you said, Consider the Source!!!!

Thank you Ata . Like you say, I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand. I guess those that do not understand have a template in their mind of how the cruise should have been. If there is any dissonance from our comments about our experience then it must have been the fault of the passengers ( i.e. we were not sufficiently "upscale" for the staff to want to give us BASIC service) or we are "whiners".

ATA, again -

Again, for those who provided suggestions (try a longer cruise), helpful feedback (take advantage of a more exotic itinerary) and other comments (check out the Venetian savings program), I thank you. For those who challenged opinions of those aboard the 3/28 cruise and - most of all - those who suggested the passengers warranted the deficient service - I suggest you treat all future posters the way you would like to be treated. This is a public board designed for the opinions and reviews of all... not just for follks looking to validate their own personal thoughts.

Thank You Zach for your well reasoned post. As I told Terri in the other board I'm just sorry I didn't meet you guys onboard.

CruiseLuv, Thanks! Perhaps our paths will cross in the future.

Also, sorry to all for the mistake about La Champagne (I referred to the gourmet restaurant aboard the Whisper as Signatures).

Archived