Need Atkins Breakfast Ideas

banderboo

Need some help coming up with some breakfast ideas that are quick and easy. I get up at 4:30 a.m. and am usually out the door for work by 6:00 a.m. The last thing on my mind at that time of the morning is cooking/eating. I need something that I can eat either at my desk or in the car (hour drive) that fits into the Atkins plan. I do have access to a microwave once I get to work. Prior to doing the Atkins plan I usually ate oatmeal or a slim fast bar. oatmeal is out and the low carb slimfast bars taste like I'm eating the box :eek: . Any ideas....

breakfast is a problem for me also. i have thought about buying some of the low carb taco shells ( soft ) and filling it with scrambled egg with some cheese added in. a tiny bit of taco sauce for some taste might help. you can make a ''wrap'' out of it and eat it in the car or heat up in the microwave. some sour cream is low in carbs also and could be added with it. i hope this helps. and you are right about the bars, we might as well be eating the box---yukkkkk.

If you haven't tried the Atkins morning start bars, Try them, they are pretty good. I like the cinammon bun, but others like the apple or chocolate. A cup of green tea and a bar is what I will be having today at work. Don't have time to make eggs this morning, so I'm bring a bar to have later in the morning. Also, you can have anything for breakfast, so if you have leftover from dinner, you can have that. The morning start bars are quick and easy ( and NO cooking involved). Plus since I have to bring lunch as well, much easier to bring! Mary

You need to try Carborite breakfast bars. I get them at our Super Walmart. They come in Cin, blueberry, and some red fruit. I don't do fruit so I only get the cinnimon kind. They are like a breakfast cereal bar and are very tasty. Occasionally i warm them up in the microwave so it's sort of like a cinnamon roll. Much better than any other bar I've tasted. Even better than atkins.

Here's some breakfast ideas I've used. I hover back and forth between Atkins and Southbeach and this first recipe I totally stole from the south beachers. All you need are 5 eggs, 4 oz of cooked bacon or sausage, peppers, onions, mushrooms, whatever you like and 4 oz of your favorite cheese. Line a 6 hole muffin tin with non-metalic liners and spray with cooking spray. DONT FORGET THE SPRAY! You'll be eating paper for sure! Break the eggs in a bowl and beat them. Add your meat and veggies evenly to the muffin tins, pour the eggs evenly over them and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake the "muffins" at 350 for 20 minutes. You can then cool them, put them in the frig and zap them for a few seconds in the microwave in the morning. We've taken these camping and they're also decent cold. Our favorite is chorizo, green chili's and monterray jack cheese.

I haven't ever tried the slimfast bars but I'll believe you when you say they taste bad. I love the atkins cinnamon bars but haven't tried the other flavors. I don't like apple and apparently I'm not shopping in the right place because I've not seen chocolate. I'm addicted to sweet stuff in the morning like poptarts and granola bars so my faves are Carb Solutions bars. You can also find them at Walmart in flavors like mint chocolate, chocolate chip cookie dough, mocha, peanut butter and lots of others. They're also bigger than the atkins bars so I feel like I got more food but still only 2-3 grams of carbs. They're more expensive than eggs so I try to limit myself to travelling and 2 mornings a week. The atkins shakes are tolerable if they're really cold. I dont' use them very often but I have a medical condition that occasionally gives me a temporary intestinal blockage. Atkins shakes are way better than ensure or slimfast which are full of sugar.

Another alternative I do alot is ricotta cheese. I flavor it with some vanilla or almond extract, and a packet of splenda. You can also get chocolate extract! A drop of almond and a couple of drops of chocolate mixed in taste just like canoli filling. You could even toss in some chopped pistachios or if not on induction, some strawberries or blueberries.

I haven't looked at them yet but I notice that the Low Carb and Lovin it show is going to have a breakfast ideas show coming up. You can look at the recipes by going to foodnetwork.com, clicking on LC&LI. If it's not on the main page you can go down to view all shows and find it in the list. While you're there check out the low carb pizza on the cravings busters show. It ROCKS!

Well, those are my suggestions and I hope to hear lots of others. Some days I just can't cope with egg or breakfast meat!

Tami

My breakfast idea is for ongoing weighloss (i.e., a few more carbs). When I need something quick I warm up a low carb (4g) tortilla in the microwave for a few seconds. Add a tablespoon (or two depending on how many carbs you are allowing) of low carb peanut butter (I use skippy). Voila - quick and easy. When I have a few more carbs allotted in my day I will add a few sliced strawberries. Just like a lower carb PB&J!

Tami - thanks for the egg-muffin recipe! I will have to try that!

~Suzy

Hi!

I have not tried these yet, but I have read rave reviews about them! I plan to try them.

KIM'S FLAXMEAL CINNAMON MUFFINS

3 eggs

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons oil

1/4 cup sugar free syrup, such as Da Vinci (I used brown sugar flavored)

2 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon vanilla

1 cup flaxmeal

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

2 tablespoons cinnamon (the amount is correct)

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. With a fork or spoon, beat in oil, syrup, water and vanilla. In small bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients, then stir into egg mixture. Let stand 5 minutes. Spoon into 12 well-greased muffin cups (without papers). Bake at 350º 12-15 minutes, or until they are lightly browned and seem set to the touch. Remove from tin at once to cooling rack. Store in refrigerator. Makes 12 muffins (1 net carb each) Can be frozen.

Ginny :)

Suzy,

I also use alot of low carb tortillas around here because they don't contain corn. My youngest is allergic to corn, eggs and peanuts. Instead of peanut butter though I use a macadamia/cashew butter blend I've found from Trader Joes. It's unsweetened but you don't need it, The stuff really should be a controlled substance though.

My other filling of choice is hummus. I hover back and forth between SB and atkins and chickpeas are allowed on all phases of SB. I think you can have it on the second part of atkins. I also love hummus and peapods for dipping.

Tami

I had another idea while I was at the grocery store yesterday and thought "Duh! why haven't I been doing this all along!" I bought smoked salmon(lox) and some cream cheese. I'm going to spread some cream cheese on the slice of lox and the accessorize it and make a rollup. Capers are carb free and you could use a bit of tomato or red onion. I also like them with cucumber.

Lox and cream cheese may not be everyone's idea of a good breakfast but I have a serious ethnic food addiction. If anyone's interested I can post my recipe for eggs vindaloo when I find it. I don't think there's anything too high in carbs in it.

Now if I could just figure out how to make carb free sushi......

I don't like salmon but I do something similiar. I take sliced turkey and spread cream cheese on it and roll it up. Sometimes I put jalapenos or green chilis or salsa on the cream cheese before I roll it up. I don't like the Atkins breakfast bars. I also will cook a whole package of bacon on the weekend and sort it into "baggies" in the fridge. Then when heading out the door to work I just grab a bag with a few slices of bacon and nuke it when I get hungry at work. If I forget to eat or grab something from the house, then I go through a drive through on the way to work and order some sort of "biscuit" but without the biscuit. (Sausage or bacon/egg/cheese, etc.). If they won't do it without the biscuit/bread then I take it the way they do it and just peel the bread off and throw it in the garbage can before I begin eating the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

I had tried Atkins before and was doing really well, but like you, breakfast became a problem so I gave up.

When we were down to visit DD, one of her friends from home was there as well. This friend is a die-hard Atkins fan and looked fabulous! Mind you, she is only in her late 30s, so that helps. :p I explained the problems I had and she gave me some tips for breakfast. Plus I got to see how she ate for the next 4 days. She would grab a handful of peanuts and a coffee with cream for breakfast. Or she'd make up either a ham salad complete with mayo, chopped onions and celery and add some hard cheese.

I've only been home since last Sat. and have been religious using these tricks. So far, I've dropped 4.2 lbs and it's only Tues. :D This might be the thing I've been looking for.

Beth

I am not on Atkins but I like breakfast smoothies made from egg whites, mixed berries, splenda, ice cubes and a little water. Sometimes I add 1/2 of a bananna in the mix as well. Berries are lower in carb and this is a quick breakfast. I loved the recipe for the muffins above I think I am going to have to try them. I am following the 6 week body make over plan but getting ideas from Atkins and Weight Watchers as well trying to find something that will be a lifestyle change for me. I love these boards for all the ideas I get.

I make smoothies all the time for the kids. We can't use egg whites due to food allergies but I use a great whey or soy protein powder that gives the smoothies a real boost of viatmins. There's no sugar or carbs in the powder.

They actually make a flavored powder that you can mix with water/cream mixed or milk that you could probably even have on induction.

Nosbunny,

Berries and melons (except watermelon) tend to be OK in small quantities on Atkins.

I use plain yogurt, some blueberry Splenda sweetened syrup and a small amount of frozen blueberries for breakfast a lot of mornings. Easy to throw together and carry out.

• 4 weeks later...

I am definitely going to try these muffins. I even happen to have some flaxmeal in my freezer. Have never used it - I usually grind the flaxseeds. These muffins should help another (lack of fiber) problem.

Thanks a lot.

Patsy

Archived