Re Recurring "Joke"

MollyBrown

For the life of me, having seen some of the hideously small Mauretania grade inside bunk bed cabins on QE2, I cannot understand how anyone could refer to anything on QM2 as 'steerage' - especially when some have yet to sail on her?

I agree with the other posters who suggest ignoring the comments in future.

Ken

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head.

As long as there are people who get on their high horse regarding any Britannia-esque element of QM2 being described as 'steerage', the more likely it is that puerile people like myself will be unable to resist incorporating the word 'steerage' into their posts. Here I go again.....'steera......STOP IT!

Tim.

Sorry. Been up since 4.30 this morning and just finished my third large cappuccino. I think it's making me a bit frisky.

Still waiting on the link for the offending post. If you can't drop this at least contain to one thread.

See my last post under "Curious".

The whole point is, I want to drop this. But many of you seem to want to continue it, with these long threads. Can we drop this entire topic from the board, please? Let's discontinue it. Let's make it go away. Let's change the subject. Let's be civilized.

One last thing though. Why is it this kind of topic never came up when QE2 was the Transatlantic liner? No one ever called Mauritanea---uh---the "s" word.

I have not posted anything for a few days now, so I will weigh in on this topic:

My wife and I will not only be dining in the Britannia, BUT we will also be in an inside room. Now that that is out, we plan to have a wonderful time all the same. Where others eat and sleep is not really my concern.

Oh, but it's like a train wreck! Ya' have to stop and ogle (like the common folks often do!;) )

I've never sailed on Cunard in less than a grill stateroom. (oooh, he's a snob:rolleyes: ) but I will, in October, sail in a B4 category on QM2. (bet he lost all his money in the market...:p ) I've come to the realization that the only people who REALLY care about this fall into two categories:

1. Parvenues in Grill class staterooms, and why would you care what THEY think.(No, booking a Grill level suite doesn't make you a parvenue)

2. Insecure folks who can't stand it when someone gets something they didn't(paid for or not)

Since, in my experience cruising, these two groups make up a TEEENY percentage of those on board a ship (although, perhaps, a slightly larger percentage of those who post here) I'd suggest to anyone concerned about the issue of classism on board take a cruise, judge for themselves, and realize that in any social situation (boards included), and for MANY different reasons (halitosis, turret's syndrome, the abhorance of gold lame) there will be those with whom you would rather not socialize, and that's o.k. But I've see no concerted effort to put down any group based merely on the cabin chosen on a ship...

Happy traveling.

Andrew

Yu wuz tot rong! Aint yo nott get no edukasun? Sea hear:

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/english/data/d0082206.html

Peatah

Well, heck, there, petesy! Shucks! I didn't even know it wuz GREEK Figgered it to be some kinda hawaiian islink thing!

Hell no! I ain't got no edukation!

Shootfire!

I stand corrected!

(though I'd rather sit, if it's all the same to you) and BTW, Are you being snobby about my being a dummy? I are proud to be a dummy!

KAierm,

Who cain't typne, not neither!

P.S. Turrets syndrome - is that people who like to visit castles? <smirk>

And Luv, Now that I know you will be <gasp> inside, I can no longer correspond with you. In fact, forget I mentioned this to you!

Oh yeah- one last thing. Being on ANY ship perhaps even a scow, puts us financially (or at least lucky to be ABLE to take a cruise.) above probably about 90-% of the rest of the universe. I'd consider myself quite the snob just being on board. Our very first cruise, I was ashamed to get off of the Cunard Crown Jewel in the Dominican Republic. Thier poverty was so obvious and extreme. And yet they were happy to welcome us and our yanqui dollahs. I've gotten over that, and realize I can only change my litttle corner of the world, and must do so by giving of myself. And our tourist dollars help them, As long as we treat them with dignity, it is acceptible. It's snobby to consider them, because of circumstance and accident of birth, as less than ourselves, as some, no doubt, do.

Archived