Venice to Barcelona; Port vs Starboard

calberry

On the 14 day Millennium cruise from Venice to Barcelona; Venice, Dubrovnik, Athens, Kusadasi, Naples, Rome, Florence, Nice, Barcelona

Is it more advantageous (from a view perspective) to have a starboard or a port cabin...or does it not matter?

Thanks

Steve

We were on the Port side for opposite direction, from Barcelona to Venice and saw a lot of the coast along France & Italy (From Barcelona through to the tip of Italy) - so Starboard might be a good choice for you.

However, going out of Venice, a Port side cabin will give you a nice view of Venice (we went up onto one of the open decks to see it.)

In Greece (Athens and Santorini) - it won't make much difference.

Since departures from the port are usually quite late, there isn't a lot of opportunity to see the scenery while the ship is under way - but we did see enough of the coastline of France and Italy that I thought that having a cabin on the port side for that direction was a good thing.

On the 14 day Millennium cruise from Venice to Barcelona; Venice, Dubrovnik, Athens, Kusadasi, Naples, Rome, Florence, Nice, Barcelona

Is it more advantageous (from a view perspective) to have a starboard or a port cabin...or does it not matter?

Truly??? It makes very little difference if at all...

On the sailaway out of Venice, you pass Piazza San Marco on the left-hand (port) side...a phenomenal site...But, you know what? You don't really want to watch it from your room...You want to go stake out a good spot on the very top deck...because the higher up you are, the more phenomenal the angle...and it gives you a little more versatility in what photos you can get...like you can run to the other side of the ship for some very good shots of the outer islands...

In Dubrovnik, we docked fairly far from the town and any views and shuttled in...

Naples, Civitavecchia, Livorno, Piraeus and Barcelona? The port areas are pretty ugly...

In Villefranche, you tender in...Same with Santorini (You didn't mention it...does your itinerary visit?)...and the ship might be oriented in any direction...

On the at sea days, you only come close to land really just once, passing through the Straits of Messina...and the view is pretty similar from either side...

Most of the time you are in your cabin, it is night and you are at sea...

So, what it comes down to, in my book, is if you take the balcony simply for the view, you might as well save the money and book an inside...If the money doesn't matter...and you take the balcony for the space, the quiet personal deck area and the openness, then pick ANY balcony...the side of the ship matters little...

Thanks to both you and Susan for the feedback...just what we were looking for (flip a coin and take what's available). In Alaska (Princess) we were close enough to land a lot while cruising that it was fun sitting in our room during 'happy hour' watching the view. Sounds like we won't need to worry much about that, as going and coming into ports we enjoy being top-side anyway. Even without a 'view' we still prefer balconies, after the 1st time I don't think I could ever go back to inside or just a window. (We have one booked on the Paul Gauguin in June as well.)

I just double checked and see that Santorini is on the itinerary after ours, but not ours.

Bruin Steve, the Cal part of my name is just that...Go Bears! Actually I'm a UCD Aggie, but our son went to Cal, was in the band, and we are now hooked.

I was in Calabasas twice last year doing a couple of 200 mile bicycle rides. Great area. Ate at the Macaroni Grill to carbo load the night before.

Steve

I just double checked and see that Santorini is on the itinerary after ours, but not ours.

Bruin Steve, the Cal part of my name is just that...Go Bears! Actually I'm a UCD Aggie, but our son went to Cal, was in the band, and we are now hooked.

I was in Calabasas twice last year doing a couple of 200 mile bicycle rides. Great area. Ate at the Macaroni Grill to carbo load the night before.

Steve,

Too bad you don't get Santorini (though I guess Kusadasi is the trade-off...when we did the Millie, we didn't get Kusadasi...but we did get Santorini AND Corfu...We'll see Kusadasi this July on the Nautica)...Santorini (which we'll also revisit this year) is just one spectacular little island...

Hey, my younger daughter is a Davis Aggie as well...currently in her second year...We think she's having just a little TOO good a time up there!!

I think I've ridden a bike 200 miles ...total...in my life... :) :)

But I have carbo-loaded many a time at the Macaroni Grill...for no particular reason at all :)

Glad you liked Calabasas...We think it's a great town and area...

Have fun on that Millie cruise...Of all the cruises we've been on, that has been our favorite...

Steve

Hey Steve...I've been lurking here, because I'm planning on going in the opposite direction (Barcelona to Venice...14 night via Istanbul). But, hey...guess what! I'm an Aggie too!

I'm sure your son was great in the Cal band...but there's no way they can be as great as the Cal-Aggie-Band-uh!

LOL. Lots of Aggies around. Of course when you live in Cal territory and the Aggies beat StanfUrd in both football and basketball in the same year being an Aggie is even that much better!

Sounds like you will be on the cruise after us. We didn't really know which one to take (they all sound great) so we picked the one that had the least conflict with our Cal football season tickets.

Steve

Naples, Civitavecchia, Livorno, Piraeus and Barcelona? The port areas are pretty ugly...

So, what it comes down to, in my book, is if you take the balcony simply for the view, you might as well save the money and book an inside

Steve... it's not often that I disagree with you:). Although the ports you mention are not much to look at, the approach and sailaways are pretty interesting since you get a nice view of the coastline. If you are looking out the window or on your balcony early in the morning, or following sailaway (on those days when it is at 7 p.m.) then there are good views from the shore side of the ship. This depends on when you go though as the days get pretty short by October.

We found that there were lots of opportunities to enjoy the view from the balcony.

Archived