Question About Embera Indian Excursion

Eddiesmom

I'm scheduled to go on the Embera Indian excursion while in Panama on April 27th. My question is: Is there an abundance of mosquito's? Should I wear insect repellent since I will be traveling into the jungle areas?

Roberta

You're welcome Roberta. By the way, our family of 6 (all adults) LOVED the Embera Indiana Village. I thought my wife was buying too much a the village but we all wished we had purchased more once we returned home. Prices are half of the cost of similar items at the port shops. Take lots of cash! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Back from the Coral as of yesterday May 3rd. The Embera Indian Village excursion was so awesome! No mosquitos or bugs flying around. The crafts sold there were hand woven baskets and masks, beaded jewelry, handmade flutes and wood carvings and hand carved knives. The cost is based on how many days it took to make the item such as a beaded necklace was $3 because it took 3 days to make. The masks and woven baskets ran approx $15 and $20 due to the time it took to make. Usually based on a $1.00 per day. I would say besides actually going through the locks in the Panama Canal, the Embera Indian excursion was the high light of the cruise.

Roberta

Can any of you tell me more about the excursion itself. We are on the Summit, in Feb. I especially need to know how strenuous the excursion is, or the difficulty. My aunt is 78, and she gets around well. do you travel by boat?

are there seats on the boat ( with back support ) ? Approx. how long does the tour last?

Did you still get to experience allot of the canal itself. We have never sailed the canal before and dont want to miss that itself

Thank you so much for any info you can give

nadine

Nadine,

You board a coach bus with comfortable seats and air-conditioning for about a 1 1/2 hour drive to the Changres River where you then get on the canoes. There is a very steep hill that you must go down to get on the canoe. The canoe seats do not have backs to them and you must step over the seats to get to yours unless you ask for the front seat. The canoe ride is about 30 to 40 minutes before you reach the village and then you walk up a slight recline of dirt and make your way up to the village, the steps are made of dirt/clay and if your not in the best shape it may be difficult for an older person.

The Embera Indians explain their life and how they live day to day, you're given samples of their fish and fried plantains, dances are performed and crafts are sold. There are restroom facilities there. The huts that they live in can be viewed and you are able to go into one of them, see their kitchens and living areas.

We had torrential rains, thunder and lightning and when we returned where the buses were we had to go up a very steep part of the river bank that had no hand rails, we were basically on our hands and knees getting up, however you will not encounter rain during that time I don't believe.

It's an experience not to be missed.

Roberta:)

Nadine,

You board a coach bus with comfortable seats and air-conditioning for about a 1 1/2 hour drive to the Changres River where you then get on the canoes. There is a very steep hill that you must go down to get on the canoe. The canoe seats do not have backs to them and you must step over the seats to get to yours unless you ask for the front seat. The canoe ride is about 30 to 40 minutes before you reach the village and then you walk up a slight recline of dirt and make your way up to the village, the steps are made of dirt/clay and if your not in the best shape it may be difficult for an older person.

The Embera Indians explain their life and how they live day to day, you're given samples of their fish and fried plantains, dances are performed and crafts are sold. There are restroom facilities there. The huts that they live in can be viewed and you are able to go into one of them, see their kitchens and living areas.

We had torrential rains, thunder and lightning and when we returned where the buses were we had to go up a very steep part of the river bank that had no hand rails, we were basically on our hands and knees getting up, however you will not encounter rain during that time I don't believe.

It's an experience not to be missed.

Thanks Roberta, unfortunately it sounds like a trip we may have to miss. The steep incline and no seat backs will make it difficult. I know we will still love the cruise and get to do allot. Its not worth her possibly getting hurt and then possibly ruining the trip. Thank you for a good honest review

Nadine

Eddiesmom, Thanks for the great info on the village tour!! You said you had terrible rain, when does the rainy season start? We are going the last week in March, any clue how the weather typically is then?

• 2 weeks later...

Eddiesmom,

I am on the same cruise as Sue L. I am interested in this tour also but my question is about the canoe. DH is a non swimmer and is not fond of water sports. While this is not a sport, will he feel comfortable is a canoe? He is a big guy, 6'4". Are they very rocky? I know your answer is speculation for him, but I appreciate the input.

Thanks

music

Eddiesmom,

I am on the same cruise as Sue L. I am interested in this tour also but my question is about the canoe. DH is a non swimmer and is not fond of water sports. While this is not a sport, will he feel comfortable is a canoe? He is a big guy, 6'4". Are they very rocky? I know your answer is speculation for him, but I appreciate the input.

Thanks

music

Before boarding the canoe everyone is given a life jacket, once seated the canoe doesn't rock. The canoe is motorized and the ride is fairly smooth going to the village. If he doesn't feel safe he can ask to sit in the very front of the canoe, being the last one in where the tour guide stands and sits. You won't be sorry going, it's like a National Geograpgic experience.

Roberta

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like you all did the ships tour. We did this privately with my friend Mario tours in April. It was his tour #007. the tour included the a Ride in the A/C bus to the river, the National Geographic Experience ride up the Chagres river, and a walk through a rainforest to a beautiful waterfall (underneath which we went swimming) (not offered on the ship tour), we then went to the Embera Indian Village where we were warmly greeted and served the fish, and fruits, were entertained, and allowed to purchase their crafts. We then took the canoes back to shore and the buses back to Colon where we were taken to see the Gatun locks. This was a very busy and full day. We did make it back to the ship on time (just). We will be going on this tour again in the fall and again next spring (it ws the highlight of the cruise).

• 3 weeks later...
It sounds like you all did the ships tour. We did this privately with my friend Mario tours in April. It was his tour #007. the tour included the a Ride in the A/C bus to the river, the National Geographic Experience ride up the Chagres river, and a walk through a rainforest to a beautiful waterfall (underneath which we went swimming) (not offered on the ship tour), we then went to the Embera Indian Village where we were warmly greeted and served the fish, and fruits, were entertained, and allowed to purchase their crafts. We then took the canoes back to shore and the buses back to Colon where we were taken to see the Gatun locks. This was a very busy and full day. We did make it back to the ship on time (just). We will be going on this tour again in the fall and again next spring (it ws the highlight of the cruise).

Hi Cruisewife !

What was your opinion as to the convenience of boarding and sitting in regards to safety and comfort for an older person ( with some back problems )? Any comments would be appreciated

colon has been the hardest port for me to decide what to do. i have checked out mario's site and he has some great tours but his prices for the tours seem really high too me. does he have a typo for some of the tour prices :confused: . going solo and trying to be included with a group on an independent tour is hard enough on its own, but i am not prepared to pay alot more than what the cruise ship charges. is it just me or do others think he is a little high for his tours. i love to support the locals for the best tours if i can justify the price. i have heard wonderful things about him and would like to get some honest input any opinions you have about his prices. thanks alot.

It might be difficult for an older person with some back problems, but I am taking my mother this October (age 74) she has had a hip and knee replacement and back surgery, so she may have difficulty climbing into the canoes, but I think she can do it if I help her.

It might be difficult for an older person with some back problems, but I am taking my mother this October (age 74) she has had a hip and knee replacement and back surgery, so she may have difficulty climbing into the canoes, but I think she can do it if I help her.

Not only if you help her she'll be able to do it but the guides will also be there for her and help her get in and out of the canoe.

I can't say enough good things about this excursion, so for all of you that may have second thoughts, just go for it and do it, you won't be sorry and it really isn't much of a strain. Maybe a little inconvenience but not much.

Roberta:)

Archived