Sigsbee Park

dadstoy

Hi,

Hope someone knows what I'm talking about. I lived in KW in 1965 and again in 1973. Went to KW High. Can I get onto Sigsbee. Want to see where I lived while I was there (Dad in Navy). Also there was a sandal shop called KENOS at Mallory Pier while I was there. Any chance they are still there? I wanted to take the kids to see some of my old haunts. Can I rent a car for the day?

Thanks

Not sure if you can get into the housing area or not; but you can ask.

Kino's is still on Fitzpatrick Street near Mallory and all major car rentals are located in Key West.

Be prepared for a shock as Key West has undergone a lot of changes.

Mike:)

Last time I was there (2002), I just drove right on, but I had an ID. The Navy Exchange is there now - as well as the commissary, so I'm not sure. It's still Navy family housing, so I'd expect security to stop you unless you have an ID.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Hopefully they'll take pity on me and let me on. It was beautiful when I lived there. I'm not sure I'll like all the changes. I just found an old ticket on the Conch Train for $1.25. Think they'll honor it?:)

The military housing is still kept immaculate.

What is depressing is the loss of so many local businesses; Key Wst Aloe is no longer locally owned, a Walgreen's here, TGIFridays there, Eckerds, Outback, and now Dennis Pharmacy is closing. So much of the local character we came here for 15 years ago is fast disappearing. But I guess that is 'progress'.

Thank goodness for 5 Brothers Grocery. lol

Mike:)

The Sigsbee housing area was hit hard by Hurricane Wilma. Most of the families that were living there are now at Trumbo while repairs continue. Unfortunately you will not be able to actually get onto the base due to high security unless you are with someone with a military ID.

Archived