Will there be enough room?

grandmaof7

I always travel with a folding wheel chair(manual). I have checked about renting a scooter for my cruise. We have booked a Handicapped room with a sleeper sofa, as we are taking our 2 teen grandchildren. The bed will have to be split into 2. My question is, will there be enough room for scooter, chair, 2 beds, open sleeper and 4 people to move in the room. I can walk with a cane in the room, but must have a place for the scooter.

We had an inside handicapped room on the Explorer with a sofa. There was my husband, mother, sister in law and myself. I had a small scooter and although we didn't have the wheelchair we did have my mother's rolling walker. We had enough room but none extra. The sofa didn't fold out like one you might have at home. Instead the back folded down. My husband and I slept on the sofa and it was none too comfortable and pretty small. It was very difficult to get to the bathroom or closet with the sofa folded down, especially if you have any difficulty with balnce. I guess it just depends on how well everyone gets along and how badly everyone wants to cruise. I myself can put up with a lot in order to cruise.

Valentines Mom, thanks for your responce. I hope I will be able to move around the sofa bed to get to the bathroom in the night. I will probably skip the scooter this trip. Room to move is an issue. I love cruising also, and will also put up with a lot just to be able to cruise.

We had a wheelchair cabin on the Vision of the Seas that had a double bed and a sleeper sofer (a regular sleeper sofa). You can see pictures of it here:

http://www.cgta.com/

We had my mother's power chair, her manual chair, her lift and her travel shower commode chair. The sofa bed was folded up during the day. Although there were 3 of us instead of 4, we still had plenty of room...it was a very nice cabin (with a balcony). You might be very limited without your scooter on a large ship...esp. if it is at all rough. Take your scooter and your manual chair (I assume the latter is folding). We did ask the steward to remove some of the other furniture (coffee table and one regular chair) which helped a lot.

Archived