not a total rookie but....how much to pack.?

poorsusan

I have been on two cruises previously. One with my husband and one for work with 4 disabled ladies. Both cruises were 7 days. We have just booked a 15 day San Diego to Hawaii on Zaandaam. We have to fly from upstate NY to San Diego. So how much to pack? There is a launderette on the ship so I can limit there for shorts and shirts. How many formal things do you think I should bring? When I went with my husband on the Destiny, I brought 3 dresses and only wore one of them. We didn't really like eating in the formal dining room. And I went on the Norwegian Dawn for work, it was Freestyle cruising so we didn't eat in a fancy place most nights - the last night we dressed up to go to dinner. This worked out great for us.

Thanks for any input.

I have been on two cruises previously. One with my husband and one for work with 4 disabled ladies. Both cruises were 7 days. We have just booked a 15 day San Diego to Hawaii on Zaandaam. We have to fly from upstate NY to San Diego. So how much to pack? There is a launderette on the ship so I can limit there for shorts and shirts. How many formal things do you think I should bring? When I went with my husband on the Destiny, I brought 3 dresses and only wore one of them. We didn't really like eating in the formal dining room. And I went on the Norwegian Dawn for work, it was Freestyle cruising so we didn't eat in a fancy place most nights - the last night we dressed up to go to dinner. This worked out great for us.

Thanks for any input.

We just got back from our 8th cruise and each time, I bring less. This time, I bought new smaller luggage that we could carry on. I used almost everything I brought and did a laundry during the week. We don't do the formal nights, but on other nights bring decent slacks/shirts. My list:

2 bathing suits & coverup

4 t-shirts

4 shorts

2 slacks

4 blouses (3 would have been enough)

2 sandals to match slacks

flip flops

sneakers

undies/bras

pj bottoms (wore w/t-shirts)

Bring stuff that you can mix & match. I live in bathing suit or t-shirt/shorts most of the time. Most of my t-shirts matched all of the shorts. I brought white and black slacks and blouses that matched both. If you think you're going to dress up at all, you might want to bring a couple of outfits for a longer cruise. I've seen some really pretty comfortable looking pantsuits with sparkly tops. Something like that you could mix & match dressy tops.

The key is to pack for a week and use the laundry service or do it yourself laundry, if available.

You don't say (or I didn't notice) when you are going. If it is in the winter months, you will need a couple cool weather outfits for the sea days. You'll also have to wait to see what the weather will be like in San Diego (love that town!).

After the weeks worth of clothing, then plan the formal stuff. If you truly don't want to partake, not a problem, I'm sure they have a buffet or room service available. If you do want to go, look into a black skirt and a couple different tops that are dressy.

I think a lot of people feel that dressing to the nines, or being fashionable is to have a lot of clothing choices. Actually, you just need to know how to put things together so you don't look like you have the same clothes on several times. That means different pairings and different accessories. I highly doubt that anyone will notice if you wear the same pair of pants, or the same T shirt several times. If they do and they have a problem with it, well, it's gonna have to be their problem, not yours! I'm all for packing light and leaving all the junk at home. katier825 has a good list going. That and your toiletries, no problem.

I see you work with people with disabilities, so do I. We're used to adapting to situations, right?:) ?

That's right!!:D

sounds like about what I had figured on....We are going in January 2007. We are going to stay 2 nights in San Diego both ways. We figure we won't do a trip like this again....so no Aruban vacation this year or next. We deposited our week for our timeshare in Aruba to give it to my son for his honeymoon.

Thanks for your input.

Poor Susan,

For formal nights I would get one long black or navy blue skirt and then get fancy tops to go with it. (or whatever colors you look good in and look formal). Buy costume jewelry to change the looks of the outfits. With prom time coming you might be able to find something either online or in stores to fit this wardrobe. Online stores have so many sizes too. I'd suggest the same shoes for formal night--one pair of black dress shoes--who's going to see them under a long skirt? The whole idea of a workable wardrobe is to bring pieces that mix and match. IF you live near a fabric store go in and look in Simplicity (I think it's that company) and look at some patterns that go by the name of THREADS. I'm not suggesting you sew, but it will show you how the many pieces all go together. I don't know if they have any of those patterns online, it might be worth looking at. Anyway, they can show you tops, skirts and pants that all work together. one day you wear the pants and top, the next the top and skirt. You get the idea. The colors all work together. Now what you have to look for is what's in your closet and what you need to go with it. Good luck and happy sailing.

-Jo

Archived