Nativeways review - Rays, Reef and Rum Point

cruise.freak

Just off the Conquest 4/9-4/16 sailing and had reserved the Nativeway tour. We were one of the the first tenders off and had about 15 minutes before our tour left. It was about 15 minute drive to the boat dock and then about a 30 minute boat ride to the Sandbar. We held, kissed, fed and got a back massage from the stingray. We stayed here for about 1 hour. The water was crystal clear and it was so cool. The water was choppy so we were not able to snorkle at the reef so were taken to Coral Gardens which only took about 5 minutes. We were able to snorkle for about 1 hour. Saw many amazing fish and even a stingray here. Then on to Rum Poin which took about 15 minutes. The beach is beautiful. Our lunch was waiting for us when we arrived which was great. We had about 2 hours on the beach and then we left. We got back to the tender spot about 30 minutes early but the line was long and took about 45 minutes. I would highly recommend Nativeway and this tour as it was amazing.

I posted this question in response to your review on the Carnival board but I'll ask here also. I've heard that the Carnival staff handing out the tender tickets really do not ask or check who you have booked any port excursions with - it's first come first served rather than preference to people who booked through Carnival. Is this true? If so, how early did you go down to get your tender tickets?

Great info - thanks! I'm considering this tour for our cruise on Conquest in July. Were there any small children on this tour? I am undecided if I will bring my youngest... it seems like a very full day.

Great info - thanks! I'm considering this tour for our cruise on Conquest in July. Were there any small children on this tour? I am undecided if I will bring my youngest... it seems like a very full day.
Here is a review that has some great PICS........ it might help you decide:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=296735

John

We also used Native Way on our cruise 4-9 thru 4-16-06 on the Mariner of the Seas. They were very good. We waited for everyone to check in at 9:30am. Then took a short walk to the air conditioned van. There were 27 of us. We then took about a 15 min. drive to the boat dock and got on the boat. It took us about half hour to get to Coral Gardens to go snorkeling. The water was pretty rough that day. I have 14, 12, and 10 year old boys. My 10 year old had a hard time at the snorkeling part because it was very choppy that day and his mask kept on getting water in it. He chose to get back on the boat. You cannot touch the bottom, but you can use your lifejacket as a float which alot of people did, adults included. We saw alot of fish and it was such a neat experience. My favorite part was the Stingray part. It was so awesome!!! You have to experience it!!!! I was a little nervous at first because you knew the stingrays had stingers in their tails. I have not heard of anyone who has gotten stung by them. You just have to walk with a shuffle and not lift your feet in the sand. They are so soft. They feel like a thick soft blanket!!! I think if you have 5,6,7,8, 9 or 10 year old kids probably would do fine and can touch the bottom. I did see some smaller kids (3 and 4 years)that were crying, but that was because they were afraid of the stingrays. You don't have to get off the boat and you can still see them. You have to see it!!! It is such a neat experience!!!! It was nice with Native Way because we each had so much time with the stingrays. You could hold it, kiss it, pet it, touch it for as long as you wanted. Because there were only 27 people in our group, we did not feel rushed at all. The only negative thing I can say about the excursion is I had forgotten a water camera that day and the Native Way person sold me one for $15.00 - his last one. It was a pretty cheap camera and I should have used my gut instinct and not used it. Well, I got the roll developed and there was water damage so not ONE of my pictures turned out!!! I am so upset because I am a picture fanatic. This was my whole family's favorite thing they did and I don't have any pictures of it. It was such an awesome experience. My 10 year old even kissed the Stingray!! Yes, I thought I captured that moment. Nope. If I did not buy the camera that was supposedly waterproof, I would have gotten some pictures with my SLR camera with my big lens from the boat and at least had those pictures. If anyone who was on that excursion took pictures, I would love to have copies of the stingray ones. The pictures still do not do it justice, but at least I would have something!!!! You know pictures of the stingrays or the guide holding it, or an up close and personal one of a stingray. You would make me one happy person. Thanks!!! We were not able to go to Rum Point because that excursion was booked so I cannot tell you about it. I do know that we had to wait on 300 people from our boat that ran late from their excursions because of traffic in Grand Cayman. I don't know what excursions they were on. I am not sure they would have waited on us if we were late since we were not on the cruise line excursion but booked it with Native Way. Enjoy!!! I wish I were there now. Our family's first cruise and I wish we could vacation this way every year - I guess I will have to hit the jackpot or something. Happy Cruising!!!

Another thing about using Native Way - we only had 27 people on our boat. As we were getting ready to leave Stingray City, a boat with about 120 - 150 people on it docked. I can guarantee you that they did not get the same kind of personal attention that our group received. On yeah, I know I am rambling, but I thought Stingray City was a place that you could do a little shopping (where I could get a water camera) with a building and then you walk out to a sandbar. Kind of like when you go see the whales at Disney World or when you do your Dolphin excursions. That is not the case. It is a sandbar in the middle of the ocean that you can only get to by boat. Your guide from your boat is who walks you through and tells you about the stingrays. No organized Stingray City workers.

Native Way is not through the boat. It is an excursion you book on your own. You can look on www.nativewaywatersports.com. Once you book whichever excursion you want, you do have to give a credit card # to hold. They actual never run it through. When you take your excursion, you pay at the end of the excursion. Their phone number is :

Native Way Watersports

(345) 916-5027.

Have a great time!!!

Remember to bring a couple underwater cameras!!!

Not to interupt here but we just did this excursion and we tipped both guides $20. They were wonderful. The best ever. They let our girls, 14 & 7, drive the boat to the sand bar and to Rum Point. They sat and had lunch with us. They put my 7 year old on their shoulders. Walked us out in the water on Rum Point. Served us refreshing water and punch. Gave us a beautiful conch shell to take home. I can't say enough nice things about them. It was our highlight by far!!

Archived