Miami Hotels

SusieV

We've never been to Miami before but we wanted to stay for two or three nights precruise. Can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive hotel, preferably with shuttle service to the airport and pier?

We'd also be interested in hearing about things to do in Miami. We will not have a car but we'd like to see the attractions. Is it easy to get around?

SusieV,

We stayed in South Beach for 2 nights prior to our Zenith cruise last November. The hotels are not very inexpensive, and there is no shuttle service to the pier, but it is a FANTASTIC place to visit. The Lincoln Road mall is really cool. We didn't have a car either, but everything there is in walking distance. It was about the most fun people watching I have ever had. A taxi to the pier was about $20. We stayed at The Colony Hotel, the most photographed place in South Beach. The rooms were nice, the elevators didn't work half the time, and there was no coffee to be had in the mornings. We had to walk to the corner to get coffee. It makes you appreciate the cruise that much more. We are going back this November, but I plan to stay closer to Lincoln Road this time. It's a little bit of a hike from the Colony. If you stay there, get a hotel on Ocean Drive. It's a wonderful view. :D

Have a wonderful time.

That sucks- no hotel has shuttle service? And I'd be furious about paying $$$ and getting such bad service (not that I drink coffee).

We just want something centrally located for attractions, and somewhat near the pier and airport that doesn't cost a fortune. It doesn't have to have a great view or be fancy, just a reasonable and safe place to stay.

Two suggestions. There is a Holiday Inn right across from the Port of Miami. It's quite inexpensive and a fairly nice hotel. I'm not sure about shuttle service from the airport.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn, which was about a 10 minute cab right to the port. It had a shuttle service to the port but not to/from the airport. The best part about it was the price - $139/night, which is nearly unheard of in Miami for a decent hotel. It was clean and in a good location and has a pool.

$139 will not get you a luxury hotel in Miami. Maybe through Priceline, but that's about it. Of course, much depends on your dates of travel.

To really get around in Miami and see as much as possible in a little bit of time, you will need a car.

A great area to stay and is safe to walk around with plenty of shopping and places to eat is Coral Gables.

Other than hotels in close proximity to the airport, most hotels do not offer free shuttles from the airport.

Hi susiev.....we stayed in the Hoiday Inn bayside in March this year at a special rate of $132 per room per night and included breakfast for 2 people.

We thought the rate was excellent ! Have a look at some web sites for Hotel rates you will get the shock of your life ! we were seeing on average rates of $350 + per night and as we needed 2 rooms for 3 nights ....WOW ...

The Holiday Inn was great (and I am very particular in where I will stay/sleep) location was good, right across from bayside with rest, bars and shops...enough to pas an evening or day....we also took a cab to South beach and whilst we enjoyed it we were glad we had NOT payed the $350 + to stay there...it was a bit hectic and busy and IMO would have been very noisy at night.

All in all I would recommend The Holiday INN...rooms were fine, quite spacious and comfortable. Breakfast was a buffet and again there was more than enough choice and as I mantined before the location is good, you can even see the cruise ships from the bedroom windows. There was no shuttle to my mind but as the port is very close I should imagine a cab (which were plentiful) would not have coat very much. We were sailing from FLL so I cant offer any help there.

Hope this helps. I know I was grateful for having read about the H/Inn on these boards for our trip and booked it well in advance. Good Luck

Go Priceline. You can get a downtown 3* or the Embassy Suites at the airport for around $50-$80 depending on season. Go to http://www.biddingfortravel.com to see what hotels people are getting for what bids. When you bid go to http://www.amazing-bargains.com/. It is ths same people who run the free biddingfortravel.com and they get some money from Priceline for you using their link. Helps fund such a great free site and costs you nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Sofitel Miami, absolutely beautiful and clean. $119.00 per night. It has a beautiful pool, free shuttle service to and from the airport, $5.00 per person shuttle charge round trip to the dolphin mall, and they arranged port pick up service on the day of our cruise for $24.00 for the cab ride. In addition to the main restaurant they have a Starbucks which serves little pasteries, and rolls. I wouldn't hesitate to book there again on a return trip to Miami.

$139 will not get you a luxury hotel in Miami. Maybe through Priceline, but that's about it. Of course, much depends on your dates of travel.

To really get around in Miami and see as much as possible in a little bit of time, you will need a car.

A great area to stay and is safe to walk around with plenty of shopping and places to eat is Coral Gables.

Other than hotels in close proximity to the airport, most hotels do not offer free shuttles from the airport.

I realize that I will take a taxi to Coral Gables but do I need a car to spend the weekend in Coral Gables.

ocngypz, can you recommend any reasonable hotels?

I had planned to stay in South Beach

but it will be too expensive in Jan.

• 2 weeks later...

I live on Brickell (downtown miami). I would suggest you stay in the downtown area. You are 3 minutes from the pier, 10-15 from South Beach, 10 from Coral Gables & Coconut Grove. You could visit the Viscaya Museum on the bay (gorgeous), have lunch in Coconut Grove, go to Ocean Drive on South Beach to check out the scene for dinner. Downtown Miami is growing and becoming really trendy (shedding its previous scummy image), there will be a new outdoor mall (mary brickell village) and many new restaurants opening up in the area. It is the up & coming area of Miami. Look at the intercontinental, JW Marriott. There is also an Extended stay hotel that charges 103/night only a few blocks from here. Bienvenido a Miami!

Archived