need advice on mercury cabin

JFreshwater

Considering a cruise to Alaska in August on the Mercury. An inside cabin on the Plaza deck is the least inexpensive, but concerned about noise, claustrophobia, smells, etc. Has anyone stayed there before? What do those who have been there/done it advise? Better to wait till you can afford a better cabin, or is it worth it just to go?

Fresh:

We were just on the Mercury (Mar 27 Bleach Cruise)...we were in Cabin 9198.....for the first time in 12 cruises we decided to just "go" and do it, and not worry about the cabin. Ultimately, it depends on what type of people/cruisers you are. We're in our 40s, active...up early, to bed late, outdoors-y, so as a result we use our cabin pretty much to sleep, store our stuff, get ready for dinner, etc....a base-camp sort of idea. I know some people barely leave their veranda suites, preferring room service and lounging on their balcony most of the time (not that there's anything wrong with that!). But...we found the following:

1) The inside cabin was not claustraphobic in the least...instead of a window you have a mirror covering the entire inner wall at the head of the beds)

2)The air was ok...not as good as fresh air from a balcony door, but ok.

3)The most important thing for us was just to be there, on the cruise... great ports, great food, great entertainment, all the things that make cruising great.

4) We were on deck 9, no noise, no vibration, no bother etc...great cabin....2 up to buffet/pools, 2 down to all the action, 3 down to the dining room. Cabins on the Vista deck seem to be forward, on deck 5, near to the Guest relations desk....it would strike me as being a pretty quiet location....just below the Celebrity theatre and the cinema....some people have commented how cabins on lower decks can be impacted by noise/vibration from the thrusters, especially when arriving in ports early in the morning...we don't have any personal experience with that, so can't comment...but something to consider.

5) the inside cabins are the same size as the standard outside...172 sq. ft....seems like a good size....great bathroom, plenty of storage....we did get the cabin steward to take out the little glass table...seemed only to be in the way for us.

All in all....we were more than happy with our inside cabin....it all comes down to how you use your cabin, and price, of course.....we've decided that in future, we, depending on price, would choose between an inside, and a veranda.....ocean-view now just seems to be an extra expense for not much return. Remember, once you're out of the cabin, pretty much everything, except on Cunard, maybe, is the same for everybody. The money we saved by going inside paid for our onboard purchases, and more!

We are traveling in an inside. I found out from the board that there are two inside cabins on the Panorama Deck that are bigger. They are said to be the size of a family ocean view. The numbers are 8253 and 8257. When I went to the Celebrity site it didn't automatically show up as available but when I typed the number in it came up as available. I put it on a hold and then transferred it to an on-line TA that is offering free travel insurance, and also a fare a little bit less than the Celebrity site. Check and see if either one of those cabins are available. Alaska is fabulous. I highly recommend you booking the trip. I went in August of 2004 and can't wait to go again.

Another advantage to the location of above cabins is it is just steps away from the AFT Deck. Btw, I traveled in an inside to Alaska on HAL, and was on the lower promenade deck which was just steps away from a big balcony :). I did not feel slighted in the least traveling to Alaska in an inside.

Marie

Marie:

I checked out those cabins and see that they're just above the Pavilion night club....might that be a noise problem at night, say, between 10pm and ??.

Kevin

Yes, you are correct. It could be a problem, but I was willing to take my chances. Thanks for mentioning it though, as I had completely forgotten since it wasn't much of an issue with me, but it may be for someone else.

Marie

Considering a cruise to Alaska in August on the Mercury. An inside cabin on the Plaza deck is the least inexpensive, but concerned about noise, claustrophobia, smells, etc. Has anyone stayed there before? What do those who have been there/done it advise? Better to wait till you can afford a better cabin, or is it worth it just to go?

Don't be in the back on the Mercury or the Century. Well, unless you like to be shaken awake in the mornings while the ship is slowing down and docking. I was on deck 4, in one of the most aft rooms, last November, and the noise and vibrations and still very clear in my memory!!!

Do you recall your cabin number, and about what time did this occur?

Thanks.

Marie

I think it was cabin 4146 on the Century. Its not on the current deck plan, it looks like it has been overtaken by the Fun Factory, which was a couple of doors down from us. Anyway, it was on the port side approximately equivelent to where cabin 4159 is.

The vibrations usually started a couple of hours before we docked. So, depending on when we docked depended on when the vibrations started. There were also vibrations from the engine starting and such when we left port, but those were more like 5 or 6pm and not so disturbing to my sleep.

On a positive note, the room was nice and, although an inside, I didn't feel claustrophobic or anything at all. And the price was right!!! The only reason I wouldn't get another inside is because of all the extra time that I spend in my room due to traveling with my young son. And when I travel on the Mercury later this year, I made sure to get a room closer to the middle of the ship! I hope she's as beautiful as the Century, and I'm sure the service will be just as wonderful.

Shellie

One more thing, I was RIGHT UNDER the dining room and never heard any noise from it. Maybe because I couldn't hear anything over the engine noise :D but really never heard any dining room noise at all.

Also, to the OP - I just looked at the Mercury deck plan. They don't even have aft cabins on that level, so whatever cabin you pick on the plaza level will probably be wonderful. I'd go for it!

Archived