Danube River Flooding April 2006

dane47

Hi fellow cruisers,

We are going on a River Cruise beginning in Budapest on May 11th and ending in Prague. We have been hearing news of flooding along the Danube. We are wondering if anyone has encountered this problem recently. We will contact Globus for more information but always like to hear from someone who has actually been on the trip.

We are on the Avalon Poetry. A little concerned about how the flooding might effect our trip.

Thank you,

dane47,

We discussed this topic twice recently. So please check these threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=331661

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=328614

Current situation: Cruises which started in the end of March and the first week of April have been affected by high waters (like mine). Second week of April (starting weekend April 9) should have been fine. Also all later cruises. Currently there are no high waters which are affecting river cruise ships down to Budapest. Downriver of Budapest there are severe floodings (century flood) in Romania, Bulgaria and Serbia. But right now there aren´t any cruises scheduled for this area anyway. Sure I can´t say anything about May 11. But right now you´d be fine.

steamboats

Hi Larry,

I will be glad to share information when I get back.

Right at the moment we are looking for tour guides in Budapest and Prague to supplement some of the touring provided by Globus.

Did you read the posting of August 12, 05 "Avalon Poetry Danube Trip Report."

Have a great trip.

dane47

I'll be on the Poetry, same Budapest to Prague trip, leaving Budapest on May 28th. As already stated, no detail will be too small - have a wonderful time. We leave the 25th for Budapest, so don't know if you will have had a chance to post yet, but it will still be fun comparing notes afterwards!

Archived