Size of ships docking in Cozumel

rjf32

I have read that both the Jewel of the seas and Grandeur of the seas have been able to dock in the international pier in Cozumel. I was wondering if anybody knows if the Navigator of the seas can dock their or if it is too big?

I don't know that it has. Navigator was tendered the day we were there 2 weeks ago. By the looks of the pier, I would find it likely that Voyager Class ships would be too big.

Not to say it won't happen, but I think it's unlikely.

Jay

Cozumel Recovery from Hurricane Termed 'Absolutely Outstanding'

Top management of Royal Caribbean Cruises on April 21st described the recovery of the Mexican island of Cozumel from last fall's devastation by Hurricane Wilma as "absolutely outstanding," adding: "We're pleased to be able to take our guests there right now."

The slow-moving storm pounded Cozumel for more than two days in late October 2005, heavily damaging the island and knocking out the three docks used daily by as many as six cruise ships for visits to the industry's most popular Western Caribbean destination.

While cruise ships resumed calling on Cozumel three weeks after the hurricane, anchoring offshore and tendering passengers to the island, many on shore businesses catering to tourists remained out-of-service.

But two weeks ago, the International Pier partially reopened, allowing one ship at a time to dock, and Royal Caribbean executives -- responding to questions from financial analysts -- expressed the belief that the situation in Cozumel is rapidly returning to normal.

"We are at the point now where the recovery by Cozumel and the surrounding area has been absolutely outstanding given the amount of damage that existed at the time," said Royal Caribbean International President Adam Goldstein.

Goldstein noted that Royal Caribbean has a preference at the dock that has reopened (Carnival's dock next door was much more heavily damaged by the hurricane) and said the line's "Radiance and Vision class ships are able to dock at that outer berth on an everyday basis now one at a time. That is a favorable development." Royal Caribbean's larger Voyager class ships are still forced to tender passengers to shore, and he said the line's new Freedom of the Seas -- largest passenger ship afloat -- will also have to tender passengers to Cozumel for at least several weeks when it enters service in June. "From a guest satisfaction and financial standpoint, we are hope to have all of our ships able to dock in the near future," Goldstein added.

Was on the Grandeur April 10 when it became the first ship to dock in Cozumel since the hurricane. Explorer of the Seas, Disney, Carnival and Norwegian were anchored nearby. We were thrilled because our documents had all said we would tender. The dock is right beside the broken and battered one -- very sad.

I have a cruise scheduled on the Mariner in acouple of weeks, will be in Cozumel and been following this thread.

Called C & A D+ rep this morning to see what they have to say about the subject. She chuckled and really gave all of the answers we have seen on this board. Voyager class can dock at the pier, but because of damages only a few ships can dock there. AND, it depends on who gets there first. She chuckled again and said it's sort of a race for the ships in port that day. We won't know on our sailing till that day if we dock or tender.

So, I guess don't worry, be happy (to coin an old saying). Will check with Conceirge to see if need tender tickets for that stop just in case.

Dave

Archived