Sapphire 6/9-6/20 Entire Cruise Journal

pamwinn

Pam and Rex are right on in their assessment of the Sapphire. She's a beautiful ship. Very similar to STAR and Grand.

Few changes we noticed that I don't think came up in their review:

1. There is no game room on this ship as there is on the STAR and the Grand. We travel with our kids and enjoyed playing board games with them in the game room (located on Deck 5) and watching the sea go by. They're supply of board games isn't what it used to be, so if you have a favorite . . . bring it!

2. The Horizon food court was really, really crowded for breakfast and lunch. Everyday. Regardless of the time we showed up. I may be wrong about this, but it seems that on other cruises, there's been more than one dining room open for breakfast and lunch. I'm wondering if that forces people up to the Horizon food court??? Not sure. But the lines were LONG. The quality of the food seems to have declined on the Lido deck as well. We're not fussy eaters, but many times, the food was cold.

3. The Sundae bar is no longer Hagan Daz. But it was still great!

4. There was only one mainstain show with the Princess dancers, etc. The Piano Man show. On other cruises, they've done two separate shows. The other acts were just okay.

5. We've always enjoyed the cruise directors, but Allistare (sp?) and Hollywood were a great team. They are very funny, although I sometimes wondered how their humor rated with the older crowd. We enjoyed their morning show (broadcast daily) and they seem to really like each other. A great team!

Regarding recent problems experienced by others: We didn't have any embarkation/disembarkation problems. Tenders ran smoothly. We made all the stops. Victoria was beautiful. And the weather was FABULOUS!!!! Sunny and clear and warm each day. And the Princess service was outstanding as always! We made a deposit on the Diamond for Feburary . . . and I can hardly wait!

Post Cruise: We also did two nights post cruise at the Westin. Didn't book through priceline (because they can't guarantee two double beds). The rooms (North tower 43rd floor) were just average and not worth the rate. The hotel food/bar was extremely expensive. (And we're Westin fans who've stayed in several) I'd advise looking elsewhere. The Harbor/Locks cruise by Argosy cruises was a highlight for Mom and Dad and the kids LOVED the brand new SCI FI Museum near the Space Needle. We had dinner at Salty's accross the bay. It was the most expensive meal I've had in some time, but the consierge desk arranged for the asst manager to pick us up in a limo, drive us to and from the restaurant and put us in the best table on the water overlooking Elliott Bay and the skyline. Truly a dinning experience!

(Ivors was still my favorite!)

Joyride, we love Greygoose. I think you can a see a bottle in the picture below if you squint just right.

A moose hunt is what we will go on the next time around. Neither of us have ever seen one close up. Might have to rent a jeep for that one.

Pam-

Loved the Review....I died laughing. We have the same cabin for our cruise on the Sapphire for 9/5/04. I sure hope the TV and air are working then. Although my DH would love to leave the balcony door open every night.

smiles Patty

Great, you will love Andrew. I think Andrew is the one who fixed the TV. On the preinaugural, there were some empty cabins and I think he just switched the bad one out. One thing though, it's probably one in a million but the remote controls both TV's. You have to figure out the sweet spot so you don't change the channel on both TV's when only trying to change one. It didn't seem to be as stuffy in the cabin towards the end of the cruise so I think something was adjusted somewhere. Though after the first few days, the weather was so great we kept the door open anyway. I love to hear the ocean at night. Here is a picture of your cabin.

D415.jpg.be9d0ef74fe9d6de1075ed9ccc162ba2.jpg

Pam and Rex,

This has to be the best review that I have ever read.

Although I do not have a cruise booked on this ship.

I had a great time reading your take on the ship and vacations in general.

Once agagin,

Thank you for your time and effort in posting this review.

Dale

• 6 months later...

Archived