Baths! Land or Sea?

TAKEFIVE

We are going to Tortola and have limited time. We want to go to the Baths, we are there from 7-3. We were looking at the ship's tours, one is a snorkle trip into the Baths and the other is a ferry + bus trip to the Baths. Any ideas on which would be better? We have never been before.

I've been via land a few times and went via sea the last time. I prefer via the sea - you get to spend more time at the Baths and is easier, to boot. Also you can leave all your junk on the boat. Of course, you need to figure out how to keep dry things dry if you are going to swim in - like a towel, but I didn't want or need one.

Via land is interesting, also, and you get some different views. It is the more commonly taken approach, I would think.

When (not if) you return, you might want to try whichever tour you don't take this time. Problem solved!

I've been via land a few times and went via sea the last time. I prefer via the sea - you get to spend more time at the Baths and is easier, to boot. Also you can leave all your junk on the boat. Of course, you need to figure out how to keep dry things dry if you are going to swim in - like a towel, but I didn't want or need one.

Via land is interesting, also, and you get some different views. It is the more commonly taken approach, I would think.

When (not if) you return, you might want to try whichever tour you don't take this time. Problem solved!

Are you able to go to the Baths by sea from Tortola or do you have to get from Tortola to Virgina Gorda first in order to arrive by sea? Also, if you swim in from the boat, how close to shore does the boat get and how deep is the water?

Thanks & regards,

Arlene

Are you able to go to the Baths by sea from Tortola or do you have to get from Tortola to Virgina Gorda first in order to arrive by sea? Also, if you swim in from the boat, how close to shore does the boat get and how deep is the water?

Thanks & regards,

Arlene

Some of the ships tours are set up to let you swim in and some private operators, also. Direct from Tortola (or for that matter, some from St Thomas). How close depends on how crowded.

I went on the Extreme Machine a few weeks ago and posted a buncha pictures here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=330682

If I had to guess, I would say it might have been 25 ft deep where we were, but it could be more or less. Any operator will have floatation devices for weak and/or non-swimmers, although it is very easy to float in salt water.

Archived