Whittier to Anchorage transfer- so confused, please help

janica

We will be disembarking in Whittier and have motor coach transfer to Anchorage. I have several questions. Which is the best side of the bus to sit on for scenerey - driver's side? I have read somewhere, but have forgotten. Will Princess take care of getting all of our luggage to the airport? Our flight does not leave until 9:00PM. Will we have to spend all day at the airport just waiting for our flight? Surely we can do something better than that on our last day in Alaska. I understand that there is not much to do or see in Whittier. What do you suggest? OOPS! Bumped the enter key, before saying thank you!!! Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Sit on the driver's side from Whittier. But look into touring options to make the most of your day. Princess does shuttle to downtown, so if you want to just go with Princess, do get there and not stay at the airport. Request the visitor guide http://www.anchorage.net

But a superior option in my opinion is to either get an independent transfer with a tour- one was listed here??? Or bite the bullet and do a one way, costly rental car. Your best option for making the best use of your short time. http://www.harleysrentalaska.com/ or Avis and keeps your luggage right with you.

You can be out of Whittier via the 9am tunnel, then plenty of time for a great day. I like driving Hatcher Pass, spectacular scenery and very doable in your timeframe after spending plenty of time enjoying Turnagain Arm sights.

If of interest, there are some excellent boat tours out of Whittier with way superior glacier views compared to your cruise ship. Then arrange independent transfer to the airport.

Budget Queen, I know you have been right on about the advice you give and it is extremely helpful; however, are you sure Princess will shuttle you from airport to downtown Anchorage? I called them yesterday with this very question since our flight is late afternoon and the young man that took my call said the shuttle took us directly from the ship to the airport - that there was no accomadation for a drop off or shuttle to downtown. We are sailing June 12 and he also said that if I cancel my tranfers at this point I would be charged a 50% cancellation fee. Needless to say I was not a happy camper after that call. I am going to try calling again tomorrow to see if I get the same answer.

Has anyone else been told something different by Princess?

Princess runs several shuttles from the Downtown Hospitality Center to the Airport. The 800 Princess number is to someone down in the states that probably hasn't been to Alaska. If you want more info. call Princess Tours in Anchorage, they handle all the ground ops for Princess Cruises. Princess Cruises may charge you if you cancel a transfer, though.

907-550-7711

Most of the cruise lines offer a shuttle service between downtown Anch and the airport. There is also now a route that the municipal bus service (the People Mover) runs to the airport . Worst case scenario, it's only about 6 miles from downtown, so the taxi ride won't break your bank.

Archived