Convince mom to get massage?

I bought a swedish massage 50 minutes for my mom. She seemed happy when she first got the certificate, but now she refuses to get it. I prepaid everything including tip and she won't go!!! She says she is ticklish and uncomfortable, and now I'm looking to waste $120. Please help me convince her.

• 4 weeks later...

NOT WANT A SWEDISH MASSAGE :eek: .

i would love to have one anytime. i love them. i always get a massage here at home before i leave so i am totally relaxed and ache free for the plane and ship. they are so relaxing and make my poor beat up body feel so good. and my skin is wonderfully soft and relaxed when they get done. oh, i can just see myself laying there and having my aches and pains flowing away. please talk her into it. she will love it and be very grateful she went. i have a friend at work that is ticklish also but had on done for her birthday and LOVED it. it didnt tickle at all and she wishes she had done it sooner. now she is hooked on them as i am :D .

if she is determined to not have it done can you change it over to you or just cancell? i hope she will go though and enjoy the experience. and if it is any help too her, tell her too leave her panties on ( they dont touch that part of your body anyway ) so she wont feel so uncomfortabel with having the top half of her bare for the massage.

i wish it were me laying there ;) .

sorry for the late post, i just came across it.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly - switch it to you. I am sorry, but I don't like massages either. I am extremely ticklish, and I leave feeling more tense than when I go in. I can BARELY tolerate pedicures, beacuse I am coming out of my seat when they are scrubbing my feet. Massages leave me a bundle of nerves. If your mother doesn't want one, then either switch it to you, or to something she will enjoy.

• 1 month later...

Some people just don't like to be touched by strangers - period. Especially when they're practically naked.

A few yrs ago, my BF got me a 1hr massage for Christmas & I was a little squeamish. Which was odd, because I've been going to a chiropractor for yrs ( & the massage therapist works out of my chiropractor's office, but I had never met her), but I guess it was the idea of nothing on but my undies. I always get my chiro adjustments fully clothed. It was a female massage therapist, but I was still nervous for some reason.

I compromised & switched it to 2 half hours (I had to pay a small difference), with the understanding that I could give the 2nd half hour to my BF if I didn't like it. Needles to say, I LOVED it! I now get a 1hr massage every month! :D

Oh - and I'm VERY ticklish! & My massage therapsit can even rub my FEET when they are bothering me, without making me giggle! Explain to your mother that a professional masseuse knows how to touch people in a firm way to not induce ticklishness.

Maybe your mom just needs to feel more comfortable. See if you can get a tour of the facility & go with her. Even meet her masseuse ahead of time. Other than that - take the appointment yourself. There's not much else you can do if she's not comfortable!

GOod luck!

Sha

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some people can not handle it, plain and simple. I suggest that you either switch it to you or make it a ship board credit for your mother. This way she can use the money for something she will like.

I had a problem with a gift too. The person was allergic to what I had thought she would like. I changed it to a ship board credit and no problems.

• 1 month later...

Are you going w/her? If you are, then you should just use it or ask the spa mgr. if you can at least switch it to the salon services instead. She CAN have the massage with all her clothes on if she wants and they can work just on her arms, neck, and shoulder... she can do whatever she wants to feel comfortable.

My massage therapist comes to my house now because he no longer works in the chiropractor's office. Then a little birdie hinted that my DH might not like his wife being naked in his castle w/another man (like it makes a difference in a doctor's office, but that's a different thread), so I told my therapist that I'm now getting massages w/my clothes on instead. They're almost just as good... but since this may be your mom's first, she won't know that it could be better.

• 3 months later...

As others have said, there are some people who just do not like massages or being touched by strangers, and they can have very valid reasons for these feelings. IMHO if your mom doesn't want the massage and is telling you she's uncomfortable, it's not a good idea to try to talk her into it.

Suggestions...what other people have said here. Ask if perhaps they could change the certificate to an onboard credit, or an open credit for another spa treatment of her choice?

Archived