Never Again On Zenith

Faith/Hope/Charity

I certainly did not mean to slander the Zenith or any of her staff either. I just presented the facts as they occured on out trip. We were also on the Florida Deck, We booked last minute, two weeks before sailing and this was all we could get.

You may have been in the same cabin as us. LOL.

We were on Zenith in March and it we were happy with the cleanliness level of our cabin. I went over the whole thing with the giant can of Lysol we brought. THEN I was happy. :D

Not because of what you could see but because of what you can't see.

Having stayed in motels and hotels quite a bit in my life, I have learned to NEVER...EVER look at the mattress. No matter how swanky the place... You just don't want to know. This coming from someone who got bit by bedbugs on an Amtrak train.

We.ve been on the Zenith 6 times, and will be going again Sept.23. Never had a problem with any room. The ship has always been cleaned, and the service and food has been the best of the 17 cruises we have taken. This includes the big ships. Guess we've been lucky so far :) Ron

Why would you tip at all let alone the full amount?

As for cleaning the cabin myself I am on vacation, and believe me the ships staff would have to do that, even if that staff was the Hotel Manager, the Head Housekeeper, or the girl from Guest relations. If none of these listened to me, I would demand to speak with the Captain.!

Bed Bugs, well I was on the QE2 last year and 3 different cabins had to be treated for bed bugs , the mattress 's were disposed of, and the cabins fumigated.

On a Celebrity cruise last year, the table (for 8 ) had the waiter from hell, complaints to the Asst Maitre D' brought the comment, "We are short staffed there is nothing I can do"

Well all the diners at the table with- held not only the waiters tip, but we pointed ignored the Asst Maitre D' when he came around on the last night.

If housekeeping is unable to clean the room to your satisfaction the first thing I would do is ask for a different room and don't take no for an answer. Even on a full ship, with 500 or 1000 rooms there have to be people who miss the boat due to flight delays, car breaking down, etc...

I don't understand these boards. I am a brand new cruiser, going on my first cruise in July, and using these boards for a lot of information. I don't understand when someone has a complaint about Celebrity there is a whole group of people who basically say they are liars. I don't understand what the motivation of someone would be to come one and tell lies, in this case about a dirty cabin.

It's hard to know what to believe, and makes it very difficult for the new cruiser to know what to expect.:confused:

I don't understand these boards. I am a brand new cruiser, going on my first cruise in July, and using these boards for a lot of information. I don't understand when someone has a complaint about Celebrity there is a whole group of people who basically say they are liars. I don't understand what the motivation of someone would be to come one and tell lies, in this case about a dirty cabin.

It's hard to know what to believe, and makes it very difficult for the new cruiser to know what to expect.:confused:

I thought in all fairness this was the place to tell your story, good or bad, but as you say if it's not good you had better be prepared to be attacked. I had no reason to make up a story about a dirty cabin, or the issue with the lifejackets. We have been on two other ships, Century and Mariner of the Seas, where we had a great time and had a clean cabin. We look forward to going again next year on some other ship. I did believe before now that this was the place to relate your true experiences. Good luck on your cruise. I'm sure you will have a great time. Believe me, all cabins are not like the last one we had. Also from Canada.

I did look to see what other posts before this Faith/Hope had posted before I formed an opinion about the poor experience.

I was wondering if there were previous positives that would give me a better clue how much to possibly believe her.

There were no other postings regarding positive cruising experiences by her . Just short questions asked about excursions etc.

These boards are like any other message boards....

People can lie, they can exaggerate or they can simply tell the truth...& share a lot of great information...

It seems DIFFICULT to believe that someone would continue to live in filth on a vacation they paid good money for.

It seems difficult to believe that one would not have someone come in person that was NOT the cabin attendant to investigate the situation.

It seems really far fetched that someone would give in to a paid worker not doing his job,

and then be a washerwoman on vacation...then defend the poor workers job..and then tip him anyway...

The WAY her post was worded and explained, it just seemed too bizarre to believe.

BUT- I think if it keeps one person from accepting similar filth

if and when it occurs without fighting for a quick resolution,

then she has caused good information on how to deal with similar problems...to be posted here...by other members...

Bernadette

I don't understand when someone has a complaint about Celebrity there is a whole group of people who basically say they are liars.

A lot of things need to be taken into consideration when reading something on 'the net'.

First, it IS the internet, and as good as it is as a source of information, and as popular as it has become, it is not the gospel when it comes to what is reality.

In addition, as I've indicated in other posts, what you have here is like someone making negative comments about a Ford car to a group of Ford afficionados. Those that visit a Celebrity forum are primarily going to be Celebrity fans, and by and large, have had positive experiences on Celebrity ships. The naysayers are not exactly going to be 'welcomed' with open arms. But, that doesn't mean their comments are untrue. It generally means they would be in the minority. That leads to the next point I would like to make, which is, the number of negative experiences are going to be far outweighed by the positive ones. Certainly negative experiences happen, but, in most situations, they are isolated, and do not represent the typical cruise passenger experience.

I have thought about this a long time before posting on this subject. Everyone expects something different on a cruise. Perception is reality. I will say though that if the first thing I post is something negative then the reality is (perception) again that I am a negative person. Particularly when I state I have been on other cruises and had a "great" time. Why didn't you post something then. Something positive about your "great" time? Now if someone like Tuggers or Danno posted this same info I would look at it differently. They have posted alot. Most of it is positive. They have each posted negative info and they do not seem to get attacked for it.

For all the prospective new cruisers out there you do need to look at the number of posts and take the new negative posters with a grain of salt. It may be their truth but it probably would not be your truth (perception)

Have a great cruise!!!

I think aside from the regular threads, if a newbie goes to the Cruisemembers ship reviews that would help also. Its funny, I've seen some good reviews only to have the poster start a thread and get really negative, or the opposite.

You're right. Its perception. For some it takes a complete disaster to ruin an experience, to others having the bartender forget to put a twist in their cocktail warrants a refund :D

Dave:eek:

I loved our cruises on the Century, Mercury, Infinity, Millennium, and Constellation, but will not book the Zenith because of all the negative reports I have read about this ship. As I stated on the Bermuda thread, I am very disappointed that it is the only Celebrity ship that will be going to Bermuda next year, and plan to book our cruise to Bermuda on a different cruise line. This will be our first non Celebrity Cruise in seven years.

Sky Sweet..of course it's your choice but I do think you would be missing out on something special if you don't book Zenith to Bermuda because of a few negative reports. If you notice, there are many many people who are frequent and repeat cruisers on Zenith. Can we all be wrong, or do we all not care about a quality cruise experience?

If you would be happier on RCL or NCL then by all means book them. You may want to consider that RCL does not dock in St. George and Hamilton. And if you enjoy the great food and service on X and the idea of formal nights and traditional dining then you would not enjoy NCL.

It's all a matter of what you deem important on your cruise vacation. Believe me I would not be sailing on Zenith for a third time to Bermuda if I did not enjoy the ship or if the ship was dirty. I was actually very pleased and surprised on my first cruise last June to see how clean and well maintained this ship was.

You cannot judge a trip to Bermuda on Zenith based on reviews of her short cruises from Miami during spring break weeks. The 7 day cruises have a totally different atmosphere. Zenith gives me what is important to me on a cruise...

Delicious food and a traditional dining experience

Great fellow passengers

Absolutely the best crew and service on the seas

Convenience of docking in St. George AND Hamilton for 3.5 days

Comfortable and nicely decorated public rooms

No constant announcements

Reasonable prices

Good-sized and comfortably lived in staterooms

Just enough activities to keep me entertained

You may have other priorities. That's why it's good we have so many choices out there.

I don't think the OP was the one who had to convince GR not to fire the cabin attendant - I think that was another poster.

There's a difference, though, between making a scene and getting what you deserve. It's possible to be quiet and yet powerful - in fact a calm, collected person is more likely to get results than somebody who freaks out. Have you ever seen the show Airline? People will yell at the check-in staff and security staff for things they have no control over. A cruise ship is different: people onboard ARE empowered to respond to your requests. It's possible to get what you want, even if it requires persistence.

BrooklynGirl2

I could not have said it better myself - you covered every beautiful aspect of Zenith.

We too are looking forward to our next cruise (May 20th) and then 11 nights to East Caribbean over Christmas.

And good news - Zenith WILL be sailing to Bermuda in 2007 - the schedule is now on the website.

We took our first ever cruise on the Zenith at the end of Feb....5 nights out of Miami. We loved it! So much so that we booked 9 nights on the Constellation (we just got home this afternoon). What a fantastic ship that is! I've also booked 7 nights to Bermuda out of Bayonne on May 20th with my Mom. Although the Constellation was incredible and the service and food were outstanding, I still adore the Zenith......it was smaller, cosier and we met so many nice people. We had no problem with our room on the Zenith.....we had the Florida deck. Our room attendant kept everything spotless and neat for us. We spoke with another couple on the Constellation who had also cruised on the Zenith. They didn't like her at all. So, I guess you just take the comments here for what they are....opinions......

I loved my cruise on the Z - she'a got spirit and a big heart, but not what you may have been looking for...

I had my cabin steward immediately change the shower curtain (with a new one) and totally clean the cabin after I also found the state of the premises a bit dusty...no problema and after the drill, I had a fresh and stately abode for the next five days...

The Z has wear and tear, but is what she is - stains on matresses and towels could and should have been easily remedied and with one simple phone call which you failed to make: the Housekeeping/Hotel Manager.

Get a grip and take command when things aren't right becase they always aren't and do not reflect on the norm...better luck next time...

Can someone please tell me why anyone who accuse the OP of lying? What purpose does it serve?

Several have mentioned moldy shower curtains - let me ask - why would any hotel manager let a curtain get in that condition? Aren't stewards instructed to check such things? And why would a mattress that is dirty allowed to remain in a stateroom? Don't they have a checklist to see what needs to be inspected?

This isn't EasyCruise - this is Celebrity. They bill themselves as being a very good line - I would think that it would be important to make sure that they cruise was excellent in all aspects.

Faith/Hope/Charity

I have just read all of the postings on your thread

Firstly I have no doubt what you described you encountered; and thank you for posting your report. Obviously you encountered a cabin from hell- a situation that could happen from time to time; but no support from guest's relations is troublesome. A well run ship should have been all over the cabin attendant

Secondly I am getting concerned with the critics in this web page who try to second guess people's intent. We use the Boards of several web pages to make our decisions on our cruises and by doing so have kept away from any problems

Without input from people such as yourself who tell it like it was, we are at the mercy of the marketing departments

Might I recommend that you place a formal complaint to the President of Celebrity- his e-mail address is dhanrahan@celebrity.com; and we would be very interested in you posting his response to the serious situation you encountered

DEAN

Faith/Hope/Charity

Firstly I have no doubt what you described you encountered; and thank you for posting your report. Obviously you encountered a cabin from hell- a situation that could happen from time to time; but no support from guest's relations is troublesome. A well run ship should have been all over the cabin attendant

Secondly I am getting concerned with the critics in this web page who try to second guess people's intent. We use the Boards of several web pages to make our decisions on our cruises and by doing so have kept away from any problems

Without input from people such as yourself who tell it like it was, we are at the mercy of the marketing departments

Might I recommend that you place a formal complaint to the President of Celebrity- his e-mail address is dhanrahan@celebrity.com; and we would be very interested in you posting his response to the serious situation you encountered

DEAN

I agree with you there. These board become impotent when those who voice an opinion that varies from others are accused of less than honorable intentions. There are lots of choices out there so feedback is helpful. Ongoing and mindless gushing because one loves a ship or line is not very useful. And neither are comments like "a cruise is what you make it" - which some how washing away all that the cruise line might have failed to deliver. There are basics that one pays for that it is not unreasonable to expect to receive while onboard.

Faith/Hope/Charity

Might I recommend that you place a formal complaint to the President of Celebrity- his e-mail address is

Dean and Surfklutz, Thank you !

absolutely agree-people have to be allowed to give an opinion without being "tossed into the fire"

If we criticize every negative comment the positive comments then can become meaningless.

Once i posted a very slight negative comment and the first response back was "well, i make every cruise i go on a positive fun cruise, because i am just that kind of person" I never responded but it made me laugh-until that comment i thought i always was a very positive person-obviously that poster sized me up immediatly ( and it wasnt good for me. LOL !!! )

I love this site and have gotten great info over the years and hopefully gave some good advice. I think we are doing ourselves an injustice if we assume every negative comment is "the deadly troll"

Nadine

Faith/Hope/Charity

I am brand new to this site with posting anything myself, but I have been reading the boards for quite some time now. We used the information we read to help us choose two completely different cruises. One was absolutely fantastic, the other a cruise from hell. I applaude you for telling your story of the filth you encountered. It does exist, and the people who have been so negative and rude in their responses to you must be totally blind once they leave their homes and start out on vacation. No one leaves with cleaning supplies packed, expecting the worst, as stated by that very ignorant Taco before me. After paying top dollar in alot of cases , you certainly don't want or expect to do it yourself. Once again, I say you had guts to tell it as it was, and should not be rediculed for the truth. You wouldn't know but they all had shares in Celebrity to be so defensive of any negative comments regarding any of her ships.

Bonbon, Welcome to cruise critic. The anonimity of the internet just seems to compel some folks to beat up on others, even though they may not have walked in the poster's shoes. One thing for sure: take all the nastiness with a hefty grain of salt, and sally forth. Don't let the naysayers get you down. There is a derth of useful information you can find here if you simply read between all the lines awhile.

Cheers~

Archived