Westerdam Cabin Selection

jerseygirl3

Considering the Westerdam for next January. Since I've never sailed HAL, I wondered if somebody can give me some advice for a cabin selection. We are considering either a VD, VC, or VA cabin category. Are they all basically the same? If so, are there some cabins to be avoided (i.e., noisy location, obstructed, etc.)? Any benefits to some over the others? We don't care for aft cabins, so they aren't in the mix. We usually prefer port side midship. If there are any to avoid, I would appreciate somebody letting us know. Can anybody walk by your balcony (in other words, is a promenade deck outside the balcony cabins?). I thought I read somewhere that some of the balcony cabins on this ship have solid steel balconies? Are they all like this, or are they plexiglass that one can see through?

Thanks!

Any of these cabins, the only difference would be the location. Different decks, some are forward, some are aft. The higher you go, the more movement you will feel, if this makes a difference to you. I like the lower decks, mid-ship.

Doone, do you know if the aft cabin's (I know I said I wasn't interested in an aft, but I might be talked into it) balconies are fully covered? It looks like they are completely open, except for Deck 8. I would need a balcony that is completely covered.

Jerseygirl3, when I sailed the Zuiderdam, sister ship to the Westerdam, we had an aft suite 5187 and the VA next door, 5185. These aft balconies are huge and are just about wide open. Be aware, people can look down on your balcony, but it didn't bother us, we could have cared less. I believe the ones on the top deck, the 800's, are a little more covered. One thing also about these aft cabins, its a hike from an elevator to your cabin, but it worked well for us as we didn't gain as much weight as we thought we might due to the walking, so it worked well for us and we wouldn't hesitate booking an aft cabin again, simply for the huge verandah's. If you look up on these boards Candy, she has some spectacular shots of all the aft cabins, you can get a better sense of what I am saying. Hope this helps.

For jerseygirl3...

I'm new to HAL also...my first cruise with them will be this coming October, so I can't give you information from my first-hand experiences, but I can share some of "my" research with you:

...As doone siad, the layout of all of those cabins is pretty much the same, except for the deck they are located on and their position on the ship. The one thing I would add is that there are some "VA" cabins...those located at the very back (aft) of the ship...that have deeper balconies than those that are located at the sides (port & starboard) of the ship. My cousins have booked on of those cabins for our upcoming cruise!

...I would avoid the VA cabins located mid-ship on Navigation Deck as they are right next to the midship elevator that is one of those "sight-seeing" ones that ride along the outside of the ship with windows that give you a sea view. I believe that the "sea" view can also allow elevator passengers to "see" into those balconies that are next to the elevator!

...There aren't any "promenade" decks outside any of the balconies that I can see, so no one can walk past your balcony. In addition to the balconies near the "sight-seeing" elevator midship, the tiered configuration of the "aft" balconies allows the occupants of the higher balconies to see down into the aft balconies on the decks beneath them. Only the "aft" balconies on Navigation Deck have a "roof" over them that obscures a "view" from above.

...As far as I can tell, only the forward "VF" cabins on Upper Promenade Deck have the "steel" balconies...all the rest of the balconies have plexiglass so you can see thru them.

...I can't speak about the "noise" problems, as I havent' been on the ship yet.

...As far as "obstructions" go, I would avoid the "VD" cabins on Upper Promenade Deck that are in the areas where the sides of the ship "indent" to hold the lifeboats. Some of those balcony cabins...the ones that are toward the "inside" would have limited views forward and aft. But, you'll be able to view the "scenes" looking straight out from your balcony. If you look at the deck plans you'll "see" what I mean.

I hope this helps...I'm sure that others who have already been on the ship will be able to give you some advice from their "first-hand" experiences.

Debjo

Debjo, your correct, all the aft cabins all have larger balconies than the others. The suites are huge, the VA's are deep and larger than the ones located port or starboard. I really enjoyed the aft cabins and would book these again in a minute.

Thank you both so much for your insight. After doing a little more research, I've come up with the fact that the balconies on Deck 5 are smaller than the standard balconies. I've seen some people complain about the aft balcony cabins (VA category) on Navigation Deck as being too hot with no breeze. I would need a balcony that has an overhang because my husband has an autoimmune disease that prohibits him from too much sun exposure. I'm not sure now what I should do. There are two aft cabins available on Navigation Deck as we speak, and they would be fully covered, but I'm not sure I like the idea of no breeze whatsoever. Any thoughts on this? It would be January, so it's not like it would be the sweltering summer heat.

I've got cabin V4128 on hold. I do see that it is one of the ones you mention as being in the "indented" area of Deck 4, but I don't think we'll be too bothered by that. The lifeboats will prevent us from looking toward the front of the ship, but as long as I can see out to the ocean straight in front of me, that won't be a concern, I don't think.

Thanks again for all the helpful information. You guys are the greatest!

For jerseygirl13...

Glad you secured a "hold" on a cabin! Just be aware that the occupants of the handicapped accessible cabin VD4132 (with an "s" shaped balcony on the "corner") might be able to see into the balcony of VD4128.

I'm always glad to oblige in passing along stuff that I've researched...so many people on Cruise Critic have helped in the past with all my questions. Have fun with all your planning!

Debjo

Jerseygirl1,

My wife and I just completed a cruise on the Westerdam in Dec 05. We were in cabin VA4181. It sounds like you may have already booked a room but here's a brief take.

The cabin itself seemed a little larger than other cruises we have been on. The balcony was HUGE. About 1/4 of it has an overhang. You can sit under the overhang and have about as much privacy as in other cabins. There was some breeze, it was never stifling. You do get more sun.

About the only thing negative with being totally aft was that there is quite a bit more vibration, primarily on the sea days when the ship is doing 20+ knots to reach the next port. To be honest, we totally enjoyed the cruise and are booked on Westerdam again this coming december but we are avoiding the aft cabins because of this.

Pete

Archived