Trying to Pick...Please Tell Me ALL ABOUT YOUR GRAND TURK HAL EXCURSIONS!

debjo

Since I'll be sailing on the WESTERDAM to GRAND TURK in October 2006, I'm getting started on my excursion research. Having done a search on GRAND TURK within these message boards, I've not found much information about the details of the HAL excursions there. I'm particularly interested in the HORSEBACK RIDE & SWIM and GIBB'S CAY STINGRAY ENCOUNTER, but would still like to hear what you loved (and didn't love) about the excursions that you took at GRAND TURK. I had planned on doing the Horseback Ride & Swim along with the Stingray Adventure at HALF MOON CAY (should we be fortunate enough to tender there), but my husband thinks it would be too much to try to do at HMC in one day and still enjoy the rest of our time there...so if I could do one of these at GRAND TURK, that would solve the problem. I hope that some of you savy HAL past passengers could give me the heads up on which location would be better to do these excursions at. Thanks for all your words of wisdom (and your stories)...

Debjo

Hi Debjo!

I have not done this excursion. Leave out in November,2006. So I have no experience to give you as you have asked. But I was reading a travel weekly email on the Grand Turk. So here's what I read:

You'll take a 20 min scenic tour bus ride along the coast and across to the side of the island. You will mount your horse for a leisurely walk along the beach to enjoy the crystal clear waters of the Atlantic and learn a little history of the catchment area that can be seen in the distance. Before your swim with the horses your guide will unsaddle your mount and prepare it for the swim. You'll remount horse with halter and enter the ocean for the "Experience of a Lifetime". Then you will shower and relax before transferred back to ship. On Returning to the ship you will be able to enjoy the view of the North Creek where many locals have their boats moored and is the only hurricane shelter for yachts traveling between Nassau and Puerto Rico. And If you're lucky, you can catch a glimps of the famous endangered "Pink Flamingo" as they bask in the sun in the many Salina's on the island.:)

Went to Grand Turk on the 4/5 Noordam trip and decided at the last minute to do the Gibbs Cay Sting Ray Encounter at 11:30. I have snorkeled many times before but have never been in the water with hungry sting rays. They do swim right around your legs and bump into you trying to get food. The guide has a bucket of fish which he will give you to feed them. We only had 4 very large ones show up because the rest were digesting all the fish from the 9:30 trip. There was also a four foot barracuda lurking nearby trying to grab some crumbs. I was a little nervous around them and a few of the women in the group got out of the water when they started getting aggressive. They do feel slimey when you touch them. One of the guides then took us to snorkel around a reef just a short swim off the shore. Saw some nice fish, but it was all very rushed. Had to go back to the boat after only about ten minutes. The water is gorgeous and clear, but have seen better reefs while at Beaches Turks & Caicos a few years ago. Wish our stop at Grand Turk had been longer than half a day.

debjo,

the same info I gave you, you can also read on hollands website. Go to eastern carribean itinerary, then select the port. Then the site will list all the ports excursions. Choose the one you're interested in, then it will list a description of that excursion in detail. Its so funny because it's word for word the same thing that was on my email.

I haven't decided what excrusion I plan on doing. Still researching like yourself. But I am going to get one of those Cabana's at Half moon Cay:D

For Heart's ease...

I did find that information on the HAL site about the Grand Turk Horseback Riding Excursion...it sounds interesting. I hope to find someone who has done it at Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay so I can learn which they thought was better...there is a considerable price difference.

For cruisindonna...

Sounds like an interest swim with the stingrays...am I to assume that this was out in "open" water and that it was not in some "contained" area?

Debjo

There havent been that many HAL ships stopping at Grand Turk yet - only started in late Feb and they didn't have excursions ready for us on the first couple cruises there, so don't expect much in the way of feedback - if any at all...

...but two shore excursions in one day is waaaay too many.

The 4/5 Noordam sailing had a 6 hour stop at Grand Turk. This island was completely different from the other ports visited. Pretty much a flat island with horses and donkeys free to roam! The excursions were run of the mill with the most interesting being a horseback ride in the sea. Sold out quickly. Carnival Corp. has spent 40 million$ for a lovely pool/shops/Jimmy Buffet stores at the end of the pier. I suddest you save your tour money for another port and just relax at the pool or beach (no charge for either!)

Noordam 9/06

Noordam 4/06

Golden Princess 9/05

QM 2 09/04

NCL Dawn 09/03

Chandris Fantasy Cruise 1988 :confused:

For Cinema15...

Pretty much a flat island with horses and donkeys free to roam!

If what you say is true...sounds like a slice of heaven for this horse lover! (But only if they are looking healthy!)

For bruce-r & bepsf...

Our "intinerary" for GRAND TURK has us there from 7:00 am - 4:00 pm...even taking allowances for docking time & getting back aboard the ship 1 hour before sailway...that gives us 7 hours there. My husband and I like to get as much in as we can where ever we go, plus we're more the "do it" for the fun and experience types rather than the "relax" and enjoy folks...we've still got time for the "relax and enjoy" stuff, so unless a particular Shore Excursion is slated as being an "all day" affair, we'd really like to fit in a couple of the "experiences".

Debjo

For bruce-r & bepsf...

Our "intinerary" for GRAND TURK has us there from 7:00 am - 4:00 pm...even taking allowances for docking time & getting back aboard the ship 1 hour before sailway...that gives us 7 hours there. My husband and I like to get as much in as we can where ever we go, plus we're more the "do it" for the fun and experience types rather than the "relax" and enjoy folks...we've still got time for the "relax and enjoy" stuff, so unless a particular Shore Excursion is slated as being an "all day" affair, we'd really like to fit in a couple of the "experiences".

You will note that I never said you shouldn't try to do more than one excursion, I only said it was too much for me. If you are that type A person who HAS to be doing something, then go for it.

Me, I'm going diving in Grand Turk, which is the main reason I chose our next cruise. After diving, I might meet up with my family at a beach, or I might just go back to the ship, rinse my gear, and have a beer.

For bruce-r...

Well, you've got me pegged right...I guess I am one of those Type "A" people! Someday, I'll have plenty of time to do the relaxation stuff. I'm envious of your diving desires. We introduced ourselves to snorkeling a few cruises back and were hooked. After seeing the Coral Reef IMAX movie recently, I think I could "love" diving...now if I was a better swimmer and didn't have bad asthma problems, I might have given it a shot...but for now, snorkeling fits the bill.

I hope you have a marvelous time in the waters around Grand Turk!

Debjo

Archived