Voyager and Navigator meet in mid Atlantic

JoAnne B

This morning the Voyager and Navigator passed as the Voyager sailed westbound on the final leg of the world cruise, and the Navigator sailed eastbound toward Funchal. The ships slowed and crew yelled greetings to their counterparts on the other ship while waving banners and flags. My cabin stewardess swore she was able to locate her best friend on teh other ship.

The captains then sailed out on Zodiacs to share a champagne toast in mid atlantic. The Voyager was one up on us, as they also sent out a fellow on water skis. What a thrill that must have been for him!

I sure hope the swells in the Atlantic were mild, JoAnne, or that champagne toast would've been most difficult in a zodiac!! Not to mention waterskiing!! LOL.

That's a really fun event to have been a part of. How is your cruise going? I miss the Navigator, can't wait to get back on her in November.

Charlene

JoAnne........Sounds like an excellent event. Glad you could be part of it. I'm wishing you calm sea's and great weather. I will be on the Voyager crossing leaving this Friday and hope you left the ocean smooth for us. Have an awesome cruise.

Loved reading all about this on Debbie and Clay's journal and such great photos! It's no surprise that Capt Dag was in the zodiac and that Jamie waterskiid. They are both so athletic! On last years WC the two of them would rollerblade around the various ports.

It was a true highlight to this cruise. The Navigator photographer put together a video that has been playing on television. It appeared that the captains exchanged "gifts". Couldn't see what was in the package to the Navigator, but we apparently sent a carton of Pepsi Light to the Voyager. Must be a story there!

It was smooth once the ship stopped, but we definitely have a vibrating ship with lots of movement. They were avoiding using tables near the windows in the dining room at lunch today because the silverware was bouncing up and down. It is also relatively noisy in the theater, which is a shame when we have such a lineup of talent. It doesn't bother me, but some folks are unhappy.

Well, off to trivia.

How does one get to view Debbie and Clay's journal?

It is really kind of you to tell us about the event while on your cruise!

I note you are from Houston. I live in Sugar Land, but am a native Houstonian. I will be traveling on Navigator June 3 - 17 Monaco to Copenhagen. I'm not thrilled to heard about all the vibrations. Also, although I scheduled May 2005 for this June 2006 trip & it's my 2nd time with Radisson (now Regent) I apparently received a poor cabin choice: 943 aft, and will feel vibrations at all times. We will make the best of it, but I'm sad to hear vibration problems I have read about on these boards haven't been corrected.

Suzie

I've been on the Navigator - the vibration you are concerned about is not constant - just when the engines are thrusting.

When you board, go immediately to reception and put in a request for a cabin change and tell them why. If they have any available, they will go out of their way to accomodate you. You can also ask for an upgrade and for 1/2 the price of the difference between your category and the upgraded category, if it's available. So if the price difference is $1000 per person, you could upgrade for $500.

The vibration has been fairly constant on the transatlantic. Not intolerable, just enought to rattle glasses on glass tables and create noise in the theater. I wouldn't think that the transatlantic is typical of other itineraries, and it wouldn't keep me from booking on the ship in the future.

Last night there was a problem with the water heater on deck 6, flooding several of the cabins. People were quickly moved to other cabins and the crew has been busy removing furniture and carpet and setting up fans. I really felt fortunate to be spared the mess!

Archived