Hamilton or St. George?

Angiebear

We are arriving at Kings Wharf in late May on NCL's Spirit. We arrive at 9am and leave at 5pm. I have read alot about the Kings Wharf area and don't feel it would capture the ambience of this beautiful island (which I have never been to before) So if you have traveled to Bermuda please let me know if you prefer Hamilton or St George... (I like quaint) Also my DD who is 8yo may enjoy Crystal Caves - I think it might be too cold to go to the beach and we are also just coming from St Thomas/St John and Tortola/Baths are so I think maybe something more in the line of sightseeing and shopping is in order. Any all suggestions welcome. Thanks for your help. This board is great! :D

Regards

Angie

There really isn't that much to King's Wharf. Of the two (Hamilton and St. George's), I think SG is more "quaint" than Hamilton. Hamilton is a city so there's quite a bit of traffic. Walking down Front Street is nice, but I'd head for St. George. In St. George, be sure to visit the old Anglican Church -- it's beautiful. There are nice shops to wander in and out of and you can walk to an old fort (St. Catherine's I believe). Crystal Caves is neat. My 9 year old boys loved going there. I'd do that early as it can get crowded. If you take the bus from King's Wharf to St. George, you'll also get to see quite a bit of the island(s).

There really isn't that much to King's Wharf. Of the two (Hamilton and St. George's), I think SG is more "quaint" than Hamilton. Hamilton is a city so there's quite a bit of traffic. Walking down Front Street is nice, but I'd head for St. George. In St. George, be sure to visit the old Anglican Church -- it's beautiful. There are nice shops to wander in and out of and you can walk to an old fort (St. Catherine's I believe). Crystal Caves is neat. My 9 year old boys loved going there. I'd do that early as it can get crowded. If you take the bus from King's Wharf to St. George, you'll also get to see quite a bit of the island(s).

Its a two hour bus ride. Take the Ferry over to St george one hour(get an all day pass). See what you want to see there- then take a bus to Hamilton...better shopping in Hamilton but Bermuda is an expensive island and it doesn't have that much great stuff(although we bought a great balik vase there signed by someone who was there from the factory)...then take the ferry back to the ship. The fast ferries get back in 20 minutes from Hamilton...

NCL has dine around the island and there are number of places to eat lunch for $5.00 on that program(the best place on it is the Carriage House in St George but I am not sure if that is open for lunch.

We've always enjoyed Hamilton--carriage rides, Bermuda onion rings at Flanagan's Pub, window shopping (yes, it's a pricey island), watching the Bobby in his traffic "cage". We've been to both St. George's and King's Wharf. There's just nothing going on at King's Wharf that really is up our alley. St. George's isn't bad, but visit after visit we're drawn back to Hamilton.

Our very favorite place on the island? Horseshoe Bay Beach--the pink sand is amazing. Stand along the shore, and as the waves swirl around your ankles it looks like a strawberry milkshake being mixed.

Whatever you choose, have a great time! Carla

Wow...Thanks everyone keep those great thoughts and ideas coming!

Does anyone know if Crystal Cave is closer to Hamilton or St George - For some reason my family and I enjoy those Stalagmites and tites:rolleyes: !

Thanks for your help

Angie:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed St. George more than Hamilton. It was older and quanter. On Tuesday night they had a street festival with their famous Goom-ba dancers. Hamilton had lots more stores, but I really didn't see anything unique. I have been to some of the islands you mentioned and we always found unique wares and interesting things to see and buy. I would have to say the things I saw were run of mill. I was even disappointed with the local crafters' items. Everything was so expensive, even little things that you see at other shops.

I would spend my time sightseeing, not shopping. My husband and I did go to the Crystal Caves. There are two different ones. We did the Fantasy Cave. It was deeper underground and really pretty.

There is also a great beach within walking distance of St. George (uphill one way) - Tobacco Bay. Be sure and get to see it. Neat rock formations and great swimming/snorkeling! Quite a bit different from Horseshow Bay and on the opposite sides of Bermuda, but both are GREAT!

Archived