South America with a Wheelchair

Splinter

We just got back from doing a month in South America. I was very surprised at what my husband was able to do with no problems. I almost think that South America was easier than some areas we have been in Europe. I want to try to write a port by port report to share it with everyone here.

We were lucky we had some very young guides that were willing to push him over all terrains.

We used a manual chair in all ports - I think the Scooter would be too hard since most rural cities had no crub cutouts. There is also a lot of tender parts on the "Around the Horn" Cruise.

I really enjoyed South America -- and yes it is doable with a chair.

Deb

Thanks Splinter for the link to the great article. Brought back memories of our South America cruise! We went everywhere with our wheelchair. My husband can't push and I would get very tired, so we got a scooter for our Hawaii cruise. Would love to go back to South America. The people were wonderful and helpful as the article says.

You should post this article on the sticky thread at the top of the page.

Deb-Since my husband can get off the scooter and walk if needed, I think the scooter would be great in South America. All depends on your abilities.

Archived