Dunns River Falls - Swimming

msbs23

I've read that you should wear your bathing suit on this tour. Is there actually any swimming that is involved? The reason I ask is because my husband can't swim and I just want to make sure there would be no reason why he would need to.

Also, what happens after you climb to the top? Do you just walk back down?

Thanks!

You need a bathing suit as you will get very wet. Water shoes are a must. Although not very deep, some of the pools contain enough water that if you fall or slip ( a good chance) you will be under water. You do not have to climb the entire falls and can exit at several levels.

Once at the top, we were led through a bunch of shopping stalls with very aggressive vendors before returning to our bus.

Yep, wear that suit--you will get very wet! I don't remember any areas that were too deep for an adult to stand in, but you could fall or slip into water maybe waist deep.

You exit at the top (or several places part-way up) and don't have to go back down the stairs unless you want to go to the small beach. The vendors are VERY aggressive but it is possible to exit to the parking lot without going through this area--I think by heading to the left, but not sure. Anyone else remember how to do this?

Once you finish at the top of the falls, take a right. You will see a little tent where the pictures they took of you will be posted. From there you can go right into to the shops or left back to the entrance. Beware, as someone will be waiting at that intersection to "guide" you into the shops.

We made the mistakes of going into the shops and came out $75 the wiser.

• 2 weeks later...

You will get wet - no way to avoid it if you make the climb. There is no swimming involved. The water cascading down the rocks is mostly ankle to shin height, but there are a few pools of water that you may navigate through that are mid thigh. (This was based on our recent April 2006 visit)

There are lockers to rent for $8 at the admission gate (they return $4 when you return the key & lock) You could easily fit 2 - 3 backbacks, so we shared the locker with a family in our tour bus. Vendors are there to also rent water shoes. (Don't try to make the climb without water shoes)

I wish I had kept my t-shirt in the locker as you end up totally soaked after the climb. It takes about 45 minutes to make the climb. It is very exhilarating when you reach the top and are a survivor!

Once you finish at the top of the falls, take a right. You will see a little tent where the pictures they took of you will be posted.

If you are going on a Princess Cruise, don't buy a photo at the tent. A photographer from Princess takes your photo at the falls and not only is the Princess photo cheaper, but the quality is a lot better.

Archived