"Free" Downgrade

Koivu

We're on the May 12th sailing of the Legend out of New York. We'd booked (& paid for) an 8I cabin & received an e-mail confirmation from our TA with our cabin assignment 6 or 8 weeks ago.

Got our tickets yesterday with a new cabin, an 8G rather than an 8I, and no explanation for the change from Carnival or our TA. Same basic cabin but a fairly significant donwgrade since 8G's have a cabin/balcony above them while 8I's are open to the sky.

Carnival's response has been "Oh, too bad" while our (soon to be ex) TA's has been "suck it up".

We've cruised a fair bit & have never experienced (or heard of) a category downgrade after booking. Anyone else gone through this? If yes, did the cruise line compensate you?

Thanks, K

Carnival won't really help you since you booked through a TA... sounds like your TA may have goofed somewhere, if that is there response to you. If you booked a specific cabin, and you have the confirmation showing you booked that specific cabin, you may just want to send that info to Guest Relations and see what they say... It's worth a shot. If you paid for a specific 8I cabin, I would at least ask for a refund of the difference. Your TA needs to be doing this... Good luck.

You want the refund based on what you paid-- not what the going rate is today. It may be a bigger difference.

Hope you have that 8I in a confirmation where you can prove it.

I would want a three way conversation with the TA and carnival to find out what happened to my reservation

Your TA has some explaining to do, he/she more than likely entered the info. in the computer wrong, If the TA is reponsible than the TA should fix the problem for you. talk to the supervisor.

My TA calls the Cruiseline direct, in my presence so i can here the booking myself, as a matter of fact, everytime i ask a question, he calls and puts the phone on speaker.

I agree that, ultimately, your TA is responsible. Even if Carnival did "mess up" , you are paying the TA for their professional services to get you the cabin that you purchased.

First, look at the cabin and see if you like the location.

If not, I would show up (documentation in hand) and demand a meeting with your TA's boss, if you can't get proper satisfaction from the TA to get the cabin level you purchased.

If you do like the location, I would still show up (documentation in hand) to get onboard credit for the difference ( at the time of booking). This would cover your tips etc.

Good Luck!!

We're on the May 12th sailing of the Legend out of New York. We'd booked (& paid for) an 8I cabin & received an e-mail confirmation from our TA with our cabin assignment 6 or 8 weeks ago.

Got our tickets yesterday with a new cabin, an 8G rather than an 8I, and no explanation for the change from Carnival or our TA. Same basic cabin but a fairly significant donwgrade since 8G's have a cabin/balcony above them while 8I's are open to the sky.

Carnival's response has been "Oh, too bad" while our (soon to be ex) TA's has been "suck it up".

We've cruised a fair bit & have never experienced (or heard of) a category downgrade after booking. Anyone else gone through this? If yes, did the cruise line compensate you?

Thanks, K

Which cabin have you been assigned? The 8I cabins are the extended balconies on Deck 8 (Panorama). These balconies are not open to the sky. They are below the Lido Deck and are covered. The 8G cabins are located on Deck 7 (Verandah). They are the exact same cabins, only one deck lower than the 8I.

Thanks, K

I don't know how the Legend is set up, but we were in a 8I on the Pride and the noise from the Lido deck was horrific! Not to mention there was a HUGE overhang from the Lido deck that shows up in most of my pictures on the balcony (you can click on the link below to see examples.) We are going on the Spirit in March 07 and actually booked an extended balcony a deck lower for those very reasons. The overhang from the balcony above is much less than the overhang from the Lido Deck. Also, the band on the Lido deck was playing until after 1:00 one night before a port day (and we had an early excursion!) and when the band stopped, they were banging around the deck chairs for another half hour or so (They usually started stacking them about 12:00, but I guess they waited until the band finished that night!) Then early in the morning (about 6:00) they start putting them back- scrape, BANG! Scrape, BANG! Scrape, BANG! ;) Depending on where you are, the deck below the Lido Deck can be very noisy. Didn't ruin my cruise, but it was a bit annoying at times!

Of course if you paid a higher price, you will definitely want a refund of the difference. And as I said - not sure how the Legend is set up, but just throwing it out there. Just something to consider...

The Legend and Spirit are sister ships and the layout is pretty much the same. There is noise from the Lido Deck. We were in 8178 and the noise was minimal but still noticeable. I agree that the Verandah Deck would be preferable noisewise but being one deck down from Lido does have certain advantages.

I don't know how the Legend is set up, but we were in a 8I on the Pride and the noise from the Lido deck was horrific! Not to mention there was a HUGE overhang from the Lido deck that shows up in most of my pictures on the balcony (you can click on the link below to see examples.) We are going on the Spirit in March 07 and actually booked an extended balcony a deck lower for those very reasons. The overhang from the balcony above is much less than the overhang from the Lido Deck. Also, the band on the Lido deck was playing until after 1:00 one night before a port day (and we had an early excursion!) and when the band stopped, they were banging around the deck chairs for another half hour or so (They usually started stacking them about 12:00, but I guess they waited until the band finished that night!) Then early in the morning (about 6:00) they start putting them back- scrape, BANG! Scrape, BANG! Scrape, BANG! ;) Depending on where you are, the deck below the Lido Deck can be very noisy. Didn't ruin my cruise, but it was a bit annoying at times!

Of course if you paid a higher price, you will definitely want a refund of the difference. And as I said - not sure how the Legend is set up, but just throwing it out there. Just something to consider...

Hello, there! There wasn't a link to show the pictures of the overhang. What was your room number? I would love to see the pictures, as I have a balcony booked on Conquest with the overhang. Thanks!

Hello, there! There wasn't a link to show the pictures of the overhang. What was your room number? I would love to see the pictures, as I have a balcony booked on Conquest with the overhang. Thanks!

I think this is the picture that was referred to: http://community.webshots.com/photo/549385184/2679253580047282162NkAdYJ

You can see the overhang in that picture.

I think she was referring to the link in her signature... I copied it in case she is not around... here you go:

:cool: See our cruise pics - http://community.webshots.com/user/jenmoreno

Wow, that's attractive. :rolleyes:

You won't get wet if it rains! With the dividers open, the extended balconies are very big. The overhang doesn't really bother you. The angle in that picture is definitely looking upwards not out.

Do you think the overhang will be the same on the Conquest? I looked at deckplans for the Pride and that is a Spirit Class. It looked sort of chopped up. Thanks everyone!

That is one of the things I disliked about the Spirit class... chopped up is a good description... Great ships, just poorly designed IMHO.

That is one of the things I disliked about the Spirit class... chopped up is a good description... Great ships, just poorly designed IMHO.

Hey Chris, may I say it is very nice of you a 'Canes fan to be helping a user named Koivu. :D

Go Sens, Habs, Oilers and Flames.

;)

You won't get wet if it rains! With the dividers open, the extended balconies are very big. The overhang doesn't really bother you. The angle in that picture is definitely looking upwards not out.

Don't get me wrong - we loved our rooms and we loved our balcony! I was just pointing out a few of the faults which made us decide on the next deck lower for our next cruise. If you look at some of the pictures taken from the balcony, you will see bits of the overhang. I had to really work at it to get pictures without it (stooping to bring the camera to rail level and pointing more to sea than the sky etc...) Not really a big deal, but something to consider since the poster had mentioned that he felt there would be less overhang being just under the Lido deck. Also - we were right under the area where the band plays and we had quite a bit of noise late at night and early in the morning. Again, not a big deal - just something to consider.

Really? We loved the Pride and looking forward to the Spirit! We thought the layout was great! :D

I am a TA, and if we make a mistake, we have to fix it. On our invoices it shows the category, and the cabin number, and we send our clients the client copy of the fax from Carnival. I agree with another poster, go to their boss. If I ever told a client to suck it up, I would be so fired!! Good luck!

What was your cabin #, so I can look on the deck plans. Also, is the overhang the same on the Conquest? Anyone have any pictures? I would think that this balcony would seem more private by not having someone look down on you. Sorry, this is our first balcony and want it to be perfect. I don't like the idea that the public can see onto your balcony from the observation deck(or the bridge for that matter), that's why I thought one furthur back would be nice. Thanks soooo much!

What was your cabin #, so I can look on the deck plans. Also, is the overhang the same on the Conquest? Anyone have any pictures? I would think that this balcony would seem more private by not having someone look down on you. Sorry, this is our first balcony and want it to be perfect. I don't like the idea that the public can see onto your balcony from the observation deck(or the bridge for that matter), that's why I thought one furthur back would be nice. Thanks soooo much!

Not sure about the Conquest - this would pertain to Spirit Class ships. We were 8171 & 8173. We had friends that were in the back section of extended balconies and they didn't have as much noise (although they did hear the banging of the deck chairs a bit.) The next deck lower would still have privacy (we couldn't see down below us) and wouldn't have the overhang or noise, so I think it is ideal for our preferences.

Archived