I think I am crazy....

Megsmom1

Hi everyone-

So, DH and I are planning our next cruise for Feb. 07. First we were booked on Celebrity for the Mercury. Well after a lot of reading on CC, we decided to cancel that one. Next we booked a Windjammer to the S. Caribbean. I know, a really different experience. Well, after more research, it is really looking out of our price range. The cruise itself is not bad, but at almost $600 pp to fly to St. Maartin and then hotel on top of that, it's already too much $$ and that is before excursions or anything else. SO, here we are... now looking at the Feb 07 sailing of the Star to Mexico. So far, everything I have read here on CC has been glowing... makes me want to leave tomorrow. I feel really silly for all these changes and I just want to make sure that this is really the right cruise for us.... I am really thinking it is, just want more feedback before I click the "buy" button.

Can you help me?

PS - I already changed my clicker... haha :rolleyes:

Hi everyone-

So, DH and I are planning our next cruise for Feb. 07. First we were booked on Celebrity for the Mercury. Well after a lot of reading on CC, we decided to cancel that one. Next we booked a Windjammer to the S. Caribbean. I know, a really different experience. Well, after more research, it is really looking out of our price range. The cruise itself is not bad, but at almost $600 pp to fly to St. Maartin and then hotel on top of that, it's already too much $$ and that is before excursions or anything else. SO, here we are... now looking at the Feb 07 sailing of the Star to Mexico. So far, everything I have read here on CC has been glowing... makes me want to leave tomorrow. I feel really silly for all these changes and I just want to make sure that this is really the right cruise for us.... I am really thinking it is, just want more feedback before I click the "buy" button. Can you help me? PS - I already changed my clicker... haha :rolleyes:

That is a wide variety of what you have booked. You should first figure out what you want out this cruise and then look around to see what satisifies those "wants".

We book different cruises for different reasons. We leave end of the week on a cruise we expect, and want to be a kick back, around the pool / deck, lazy daze, may or may not get off the ship experience. That is why we picked this one for now.

In Aug we leave for England / Wales / Ireland / Scotland cruise that will be go-go, off the ship each day at a different port, lots to see and little time to see it all. We picked this one because we want to experience the British Isles and see where some of our ancestors came from.

So that is my 2 cents or advice. This way if you expect wonderful sites to see, Mexico may disappoint you.... or if you are looking for beautiful beaches and snorkeling experiences, then maybe the Caribbean is your cup of tea....;)

Well after a lot of reading on CC, we decided to cancel that one. So far, everything I have read here on CC has been glowing...

You have made your decision, now try to stay off the boards. They will drive you nuts. :D

Really, do research into your ports and skim reviews and such on the ship for info but don't get all nervous about cranky reviews. A frequent poster on this board, has a signature line that reads, I've met a lot of disgruntled cruisers, I would like to meet some gruntled ones. (Or something like that.) People whine. Try to pick up the useful tips and don't worry about those disgruntled cruisers.

I think I am crazy....

Then, you probably are. :D

I know I am when it comes to cruising, it's addicting. ;)

Stop worrying about getting the "perfect" cruise, just pick one and go. :)

You can always try a different cruise the next time :cool:

And there will be a next time, because cruising is addicting!

We loved the 8 day Mexican itinerary. One more day than 7 made a huge difference in feeling like a long vacation. Plus, we love sea days and you get 3 of them... two of them right away which gave us time to really rest up from our hectic lifestyle at home and from traveling just to get to the cruise. Then another one after all the ports. It was great for us and we are considering it for next year again, which would make it our 5th time on the Star. It's a good choice.

My sister and I cruised the Star to Mexico this last December. We have also cruised the Mercury to Alaska.

We enjoyed both cruises and really the only difference was what I thought was the food service.

If I had to choose between the two, I would choose the Mercury. Although food is very subjective, we thought the food on the Star was good but we much preferred the food on the Mercury. We thought the service was much better in the dining rooms on the Mercury too. Not that the service was bad on the Star but some nights we thought we were ignored in the hustle and bustle. Waiters tended to ignore tables for two on the Star on some nights. We did enjoy being able to dine when we wanted on the Star. We never had problems getting seated at what I understood were busy times(6:30-7:30).

The one other thing I did not like was the Stars pool area. Did not like the big slide at all. Thought the Mercury's pool area was better although going to Alaska we didn't really use the outdoor pool alot.

We would cruise NCl again since they do tend to be cheaper but we usually look at the itinerary and make our choice from who can give us the better ports.

I'd love to try Windjammer, but you're right about the prices being high with airfare and shore ex, and you only get five (or sometimes five and a half) days onboard. Also, the company's getting some pretty nasty reviews lately.

Anyway, try the Star and see if you like it--you can't go wrong, but you can always book another cruise later to fill a different kind of desire!

Archived